Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 532 nm Mirrors

Default 532 nm Mirrors

Looking for advise for 12mm-25mm dia. or square aperture optics for steering 532 nm beams. Which would be the best; prisms, cubes or dielectric mirrors? I am working with polarized light, but not always in the most favorable orientation and usually at a 45 degree AOI. I am looking for very low loss and low price if possible (who isn't).
    Thanks

Lightbulb

heya Chief -

I'd go for mirs vs Prisms - less loss, overall, especially if the prism isn't AR-coated for 532.. have a couple of these pups:
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...0&d=1328383874
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...chmentid=30299 - ..25mm, 3/8" th. - they'll handle all the 532 you can toss at 'em...
    ...this particular one is *tenatively* 'reserved' for a fellow PL'er - waiting to hear-back 'final-word' via PM.. but, we do have a couple more...

Outside that, we've always had good results with the OSLS 'aerospace-grade' 100W BB dielectric - http://www.onestoplasershop.com/optical.htm (..scroll-down a little bit..) the 1mm is fine, for galvo-mirs, etc but the 3mm th. stuff is best for any 'brute-power' turns.. very, very-low loss @ 532... I actually have to place an order with them, for a bit of each thickness, in the next week or so - perhaps we can do a bit of a 'GB', between us?...

Lemme know, and.. also that 'other PM', ..when you get a chance.. Feel free to call / chat, as-well.. I'll be logging off here, in a short bit.. :

cheers..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Hey Jon,if Planters wants the mirror I can do without one for the time being and funds are a little low. I'd rather pick a few other bits up first for some extra satellites.

Back to the Superbowl.

Cheers
    Rich

ok, m8... we'll see what Cap'n Meyer says.. it'll be here, if not, and... there's 3 anyway.. PS - Edmunds is also a good-resource for 532-coated rounds, but, a bit 'pricey', ie: this spec's-mir is about $150...

cheers..
    j

I do have what I believe are the OSLS mirrors and that is what I am trying to improve on. Didn't measure, but the rejected/scattered light even from a very clean and unscratched mirror at approx 15 W is unpleasant to look at. I want every W possible into the dye.

You're pumping a dye laser? =]

Yes. The purpose of the 532 light is as a dye pump. And so optical quality should not be too important as in 0.5mm spot size over several hundred mm and I would think if you only care about 532 nm then maybe there is a high performance/cost alternative to the BBR mirrors generally used. I really want to see some yellow light.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    ..Didn't measure, but the rejected/scattered light even from a very clean and unscratched mirror at approx 15 W is unpleasant to look at. I want every W possible into the dye.
    That 1" OEM LS 532 round will do the trick - doesn't get much-more efficient than that... at least not for 'also-cheap'...

RE: the OSLS-mir - hmm, sure it's the 'true' 100W aerospace-grade? We've always had great results with the 3mm-th stuff... if 'spill' is annoying, try a 'hoodie' -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02120.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	30387 ...but yeah, for a true 'loss-reading', ya gotta measure.. eyes, judging from scatter, is not quite so accurate..

ttys..
    j

Yes. They have been cutting custom 3mm thick mirrors for me for some time. The mirrors are good and I am the last one to base reflection performance on just visual appearance, but when compared side by side to the LS optics they are MUCH brighter, so the OEM LS is going to be the way to go.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Believe it or not, its not a quality issue. It is, however, a design issue. The OSLS mirrors are leaking and scattering a tiny bit more, simply because they ARE broadband. Your seeing green scatter off the red layers in the broadband mirror.

The 532 nm only mirrors can be eaily optimized for less loss with fewer layers.

To get the same low scatter in a broadband mirror you need "Ion Plated" broadband mirrors, and those are not inexpensive.

Steve