Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I use an acrylic line generator for a 445nm diode?

I was doing a little research trying to figure out how fast the lens would heat up, assuming it was 92% efficient i.e. would retain 8% of the energy passed through it as heat. I noticed that acrylic/PMMA has a glass transition temperature of at least 85 Celcius. The operating temperature of the diode is 55 Celcius. Presumably as long as I keep the diode under its operating temperature the lens shouldn't overheat, then?

Obviously there will be little niggles like the acrylic isn't as thermally conductive as the metal diode case etc, but still, that seems like a big margin.

Just now, I sent ~1.5W of blue through an acrylic line generator that was held in the beam by an alligator clip. Temperature rise was ~3C above ambient. Seems safe enough to me.

That's pretty impressive. In that case I'd say go for it with the Aixiz part, but you might still want to mount them separately from the diode housing to avoid any additional heat transfer. Maybe order a few extras, just in case.

Thanks, Xytrell. The crocodile clip is a good idea. How long did you run the beam through it?

I spoke with O-like about which lens they use for their 1W blue line generators. Apparently they use the acrylic ones, but don't run them for very long so haven't seen problems.

you might still want to mount them separately from the diode housing to avoid any additional heat transfer
    Yeah, I think that'll do the trick. There will be a lot of air movement and the corrugated surface of the lens will help dissipate the heat.

About 10 minutes - it levels off before that. Just be sure that the air is relatively clean. Acrylic will be more susceptible to contamination.

Great, thanks for your help, folks. I'll post my findings.

The stem from a clear wine glass works in a pinch...depending on the glass, the line can get a little bit "dirty"...look for one with no "seam" running along the length of the stem

Well, I ran about 1W of 445nm light through an Aixiz 90 degree acrylic lens for about 40 minutes and there was no obvious ill effect. The lens continued to be cool to the touch, as did the laser. CPU heat sink are probably overkill for this purpose.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120302_204809.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	694.4 KB 
ID:	30824

I still need to bench test overnight. I need to get my power supply back before I try that. Will post when I've tried.

Here's the first test run of one of the lumia wheels: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbiUGE6-4yw

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

that looks awesome! nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by robvdv View Post
    Here's the first test run of one of the lumia wheels: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbiUGE6-4yw
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.