Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: The LSX tutorials thread!

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

That's fairly simple once you get how it's done.

1. Place an animation event with the frame you want
    2. Go to the "Scanlimit (writeout effect of current picture)" tab
    3. Select an empty pic file slot in the cat file (except slot #0)
    4. Click the "Begin curve" button. For the effect you want, you want this blue curve to be 0 everywhere (i.e. at the top). You can select the bottom point with the last mouse tool button and drag it upwards, or simply set the second bound to 0.
    5. Click OK and click the "End curve" button. You want this blue curve to go from the top left (0) to the bottom right (1). So click the fifth button and drag the point at the bottom center to the bottom right.
    6. If you want the line to go linear, select the first point at the top left and select linear in the dropdown menu that now says spline.

thanks! ive wondered how to do that for quite some time
    You are unique! Just like everyone else...
    Mum: What do you want for breakfast? Me: Lasers Ofcource!

Swamidog or anyone else that knows;

How do you make a circle of dots in LSX PicEdit? I can't figure out how to blank between the dots. When I draw anything else with the dot command it is dots with blanks in between. When I use the circle command I can't figure out how to blank out the lines in between the dots.

You can't do that. Not in Quick PicEdit at least.

In PicEdit (the standalone program), there is a scripting tool that would allow you to program a circle with unconnected dots. But there's a better/quicker way.
    Start with a dot in the centre of the screen, just a standard dot, 2 points total (or more if you want slightly brighter but more dangerous dots).
    Then, on the timeline, place a Loop event with an animation, with the dot. Then, set the Duplicate count to the amount of dots you want. The maximum is 30, so if you want more, you need to do tricks like copying the end result and rotate it just the right amount.
    Then, place a ShiftX and a ShiftY event (inside the Loop under the animation). Use these expressions:

in the ShiftX:
    sin(loop*2*pi)*0.5+0.5 //(pro tip: just remove the "Cnt" )

in the ShiftY:
    cos(loop*2*pi)*0.5+0.5

You can add "+phase" inside the arguments of the sin and cos functions to rotate the circle.

Notice: you don't need to use the Shift events. You can also use Pre- or PostMove X/Y. This is depending on where you want the circle in the evaluating process (see under Help >> Timeline help). For example, when you use Shift, the Rotate events won't have any effect (in fact, they rotate the dot themselves around which is a bit pointless), but if you use PreMoveX/Y, the Rotate events work as normal.

Hope this was clear :P And yes, I wish there was an easier way too, but this works as well.

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

eek!

don't scare the poor guy away.

1) Go to Quick PicEdit (View->Switch to Quick PicEdit) and draw a single point in the middle of the screen.
    2) Copy it to an unused slot in the pic catalog
    3) Switch back to realtime and select an SFX/Loop event (on page two of the animation events)
    4) Load the single point frame into Event 00 of the sfx loop
    5) Add a "Rotate Z" event into Event 01 of the sfx loop
    6) Double click the "Rotate Z" event and set the "Type of animation" to "Expresion" and enter the word "loop" into the "type in Expression string" field.
    7) Add a "PreMove Y" event to event 02

now for the fun part!

The "Duplicate count" control in the main Script FX (SFX) loop window controls the number of points in your circle and the value you select for the PreMoveY event controls the size of the circle.. It's awesome for cool animation effects.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    You can't do that. Not in Quick PicEdit at least.

In PicEdit (the standalone program), there is a scripting tool that would allow you to program a circle with unconnected dots. But there's a better/quicker way.
    Start with a dot in the centre of the screen, just a standard dot, 2 points total (or more if you want slightly brighter but more dangerous dots).
    Then, on the timeline, place a Loop event with an animation, with the dot. Then, set the Duplicate count to the amount of dots you want. The maximum is 30, so if you want more, you need to do tricks like copying the end result and rotate it just the right amount.
    Then, place a ShiftX and a ShiftY event (inside the Loop under the animation). Use these expressions:

in the ShiftX:
    sin(loop*2*pi)*0.5+0.5 //(pro tip: just remove the "Cnt" )

in the ShiftY:
    cos(loop*2*pi)*0.5+0.5

You can add "+phase" inside the arguments of the sin and cos functions to rotate the circle.

Notice: you don't need to use the Shift events. You can also use Pre- or PostMove X/Y. This is depending on where you want the circle in the evaluating process (see under Help >> Timeline help). For example, when you use Shift, the Rotate events won't have any effect (in fact, they rotate the dot themselves around which is a bit pointless), but if you use PreMoveX/Y, the Rotate events work as normal.

Hope this was clear :P And yes, I wish there was an easier way too, but this works as well.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Yes could be easier. Like a little check box that says blank between points. But this will do just nicely. Thank You.

Another question while I am sitting here playing with LSX. What is the difference between PreMove and PostMove?

here's a little module i built for you.

c.

http://www.monkeyhands.com/images/photos/dot-circle.SFX

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    Yes could be easier. Like a little check box that says blank between points. But this will do just nicely. Thank You.

Another question while I am sitting here playing with LSX. What is the difference between PreMove and PostMove?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    3) Switch back to realtime and select an SFX/Loop event (on page two of the animation events)

I would advise against this. The Loop event on the timeline works in exactly the same way, but it allows you to save the loop as an .sfx event for later use, and you don't need to go to tabs (which is IMO quite annoying). But the procedure is the same. You can use swamidog's other steps if you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post

The order in which they are evaluated. Under Help >> Timeline help, there's a list with the order.
    PreMove is evaluated before Rotate, which is evaluated before PostMove, which is evaluated before WorldRotate etc. This can be important for the behaviour of some events (like I said above, the Shift events are evaluated after Rotate, so they will move the rotated image around, while if you used PreMove instead, the image would rather pivot).
    It's hard to explain in words, just experiment along and one day it'll all make sense :P

CMB schools swami:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loopvar.PNG 
Views:	51 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	38909

i am laughing so hard, you can probably hear me in Belgium.

Very nice I tried both ways. I can see uses for both. Thank You.