Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The LSX tutorials thread!

Sick! A lot of potential here.
    Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    I figured out a lot about abstracts lately. The most important feature was the Loop event.

So, just create a Loop event (double click on the timeline, it's in the Procedure events row at the bottom), stretch it out and double click it. You get some kind of mini timeline where you can add events. You can add animations and other events at will. For abstracts I started out with 200 points all located in the centre of the image, and I applied sine and triangle wave expressions in PreMoveX, Y and Z. But the key to good looking abstracts is the Loop variable, and in my opinion it is best used in the RotateZ event. In the main Loop window, you can set this to a certain number (3 for example) and if you just use the expression Loop in the RotateZ event, the animation you had will be duplicated four times!

Video!

Show file!

Show is having protection issues, please stand by while I fix it!

Use the sliders to manipulate the various parameters of the abstract. Go to Live >> Open new slider dialog, uncheck the DMX input box, and have fun!

Sliders 1 & 2: manipulate X
    Sliders 3 & 4: manipulate Y
    Sliders 5 & 6: manipulate Rotation over Z axis
    Slider 7: Size
    Sliders 8 & 9: blanking (blue only, feel free to add other colours yourself! If you don't know how to do it, buy me some red or green modules and I'll gladly do it for you :P)
    Sliders 10 & 11: control speed of rotation over X and Y axis
    Slider 12: control speed of rotation of global abstract

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Thanks!

I lost the show though, something is really bugged with the protection settings... I had to recreate it completely! The new version is uploaded and should be working, though there are some differences with the original I can't figure out... Have fun with it!

good job, do you control it manually during the song or is it somehow sound activated? some of these abstracts are really complex and nice

I controlled the various parameters of the abstract with the slider window with my mouse, in real time with the music.

Blegh, the original show file went corrupt and I can't recreate it... somehow all my efforts turn out crap!

Here is the last version of the show! Feel free to go through it and see how things are done. The principle is, as always, to start with a basic frame and apply various morphing effects to get really stunning abstracts. I now added colour modulation! Also, these can get your scanners really hot, please handle with care.

HOW TO USE THIS SHOW FILE:

1) Select a base frame: double click on the Loop event, double click on the Animation event that is placed first inside the Loop, then load a frame you like. You could pick two different ones if you like, they will start morphing.
    2) Press Play
    3) Go to Live >> Open new Slider dialog...
    4) Uncheck the box "Enable DMX in"
    5) Play with the sliders and have fun!

Here is what each slider does:

Slider 1: X sine wave modulation
    Slider 2: X triangle wave modulation
    Slider 3: Y sine wave mod
    Slider 4: Y tri wave mod
    Slider 5: RotateZ sine wave mod
    Slider 6: RotateZ tri wave mod
    Sliders 7 & 8: X and Y rotation speed
    Sliders 9, 10 & 11: R/G/B modulation frequency
    Slider 12: modulation speed
    Slider 13: RotateZ level
    Slider 14: Size
    Slider 15: Master dimmer

Notes:
    -Slider 15 (dimmer) must be set to a nonzero value, otherwise there will be no output!
    -To create nice flower-like abstracts, set slider 13 all the way down
    -If the image is too complex for your scanners, double click on the Loop event and set the Duplicate count variable to a lower number such as 3
    -Select another base picture for other abstracts, pictures with lots of separated segments might induce flicker
    -If your projector doesn't have R, G and B: double click on the Loop event, then on the RGB event, and uncheck the colours you don't have
    -Don't set slider 14 (Size) to a high level, the abstract can get big easily
    -Even if you pause the show, sliders 7, 8 and 12 will continue to change the abstract in time

Hope you like it! Please give feedback.

Show file: abstract4.rar

Some crap unicolour pictures:

Pictures don't do it justice... shoot it through your projector!

Anyone know where the live page went? I remember someone made one shared it and had instructions. Real curious if the live page and wave in function can be tied together some how.
    leading in trailing technology

i believe they can as for liveboard you only put in effects that can be generated similar way as with synchronized shows, only they loop in certain time segments

The Live page is where it has always been, under Live >> Masterbeam.

To generate a Live show, enable the MIDI keyboard view, click on a note when the show isn't playing, then click on the Set all keys automatically button (click Yes when it asks to overwrite existing settings, and then cancel in the Edit MIDI key button, or the key you have pressed on will be overwritten with the default settings!). This creates one second segments on the timeline, and when you play a show you can play a note on the keyboard (or an external MIDI interface), or touch a pad on the masterbeam window, and the show will loop in the appropriate segment.

I recently found out how to change the playback speed of a live show! First, set the Timecode to Live show, by double clicking on the space on the timeline where the audio waveform would appear, or click on the two music notes button, and set the TimeCode to "Live (variable speed)". Then add a SetTimeSpeed event. This is not in the "main" events page, so double click on the timeline, click the big More button, and select the SetTimeSpeed event (you can search for it if you don't find it). Stretch it out over the whole length of the show, and double click on it. Here you can manipulate the playback speed of the show, for example by setting it to a slider, or the modulation wheel of a MIDI keyboard, etc.

To create a Wave event, create a line in Quick Picedit with, say 100-200 points or something, according to your taste. Then place the Animation event on the timeline in one of the segments with the line, and add a PreMoveY event under it (or double click on the Animation event and go to the tab Animator). Then use this expression: Wave2(Idx,b)*c, where you swap b and c with some numbers that depend on your taste. b controls the pan of the source, 0 is left and 1 is right I believe, and 0.5 is for the centre (I set it to 0.5 most of the time). c is usually a larger number like 20 or 30, it depends on how high the sound levels are on your computer. As I work with headphones they are usually low, so I need to multiply with a large number. This expression picks up sounds from the microphone.

You probaby knew this already... but maybe others didn't?
    Last edited by colouredmirrorball; 06-07-2012 at 18:07.

hey, where can I save my own show ( rtl ) in a CAT-file ? Thanks

In Quick PicEdit, click the filmstrip button, then File >> Save as.