Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kvant power conversion

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default Kvant power conversion

I have PM'd Marc at CT and am awaiting an answer but, figured I'd throw it out to the community. Kvant Spectrum 1.6 - wired using a Neutrik connector at the projector and schuko plug at the other and set for 220v european power.

It's now in the US and I need to convert it to run at 110v. What are the necessary steps? I know in some cases, power supplies automatically detect and accept the input voltage. On some things you have a switch and, on some devices whole parts need to be swapped out. I initially used a 110v to 220v step up converter that you plug in the wall and it lasted about 30 minutes before frying, as I didn't think about the fact it was only rated for 100 watts. I could simply buy a more powerful step up converter but, I keep thinking it's got to be easier to change the cord or projector, rather than carry around yet another device. The other issue is I can't find how many watts of power the Kvant draws and am not certain which step up converter to get if I have to go that route. Would 800 watts work or, do I need 1000w or even 1500w? I know they suggest getting one rated at least 20% higher than your draw but, I don't know what the Kvant needs.

Thanks!

Brad,

You would have to check if all of the power supplies in the projector are universal input. I doubt that they are since Kvant lists the projector as 230V only. To make it fully 120V compatible you'd have to swap out any power supplies (galvo, laser driver, auxilliary) that can't operate at 120V. You could also get a step-up transformer that's rated for the power of the projector. The Kvant website says the projector draws up to 250VA, so you'd probably want a transformer rated for at least 1.5x that amount just to be safe.

I thought about buying one that was listed in the buy/sell section until I found out it is 230V only compatible. I figured it would be a pain in the ass to convert it to 120V operation. Kvant sells 120V versions of the projector, but they probably have different power supplies rather than just including a transformer in the box. A 400 or 500VA transformer adds a lot of weight.

My electronics knowledge is lacking so, how do I convert 250VA to "watts?" In my experience, these 110v to 220v step-up converters are all measured/sold based on watts.

For the purpose of this discussion they are the same thing. VA is volts x amps which is a complex number when dealing with ac power. Real power (watts) is the real component of VA.

Quote Originally Posted by massivesound View Post
    For the purpose of this discussion they are the same thing. VA is volts x amps which is a complex number when dealing with ac power. Real power (watts) is the real component of VA.
    Thank you sir! So, I assume if I get one that handles 800 watts, I should be golden. I was going to go with the 500 watt model but, heck what's a couple extra dollars.

you would be fine even with the 250watt one, but what the heck.. it's only money
    "its called character briggs..."

You could contact Kvant and ask how much a set of 110v PSU's would be... they must have them on the shelf for US orders.
    I take it you've had the lid off and checked they're not auto-switching already, yes?
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I have not. Well... correction, I took off the back panel but was in a hurry and didn't have time to really explore. I would hope they'd be auto switching and I think that's what Marc was thinking too but, I'm not certain. If I fashioned a new cord and plugged it into 120v, it shouldn't hurt it to find out. I know Jim's projector (smogthemog) I bought last year was auto switching so it worked right out of the flight case with a US cord.

If I fashioned a new cord and plugged it into 120v, it shouldn't hurt it to find out.
    Check first, plug second
    It's lower voltage so 'shouldn't' hurt, but caution has saved me a few quid in the past.
    And you need to check if they're manually switched anyway, might as well do that up front.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Just ordered an 800 watt step up transformer. Now I get to wait 5-7 days impatiently for my UPS dude.... It weighs half what the Kvant does though.