Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Raspberry Pi

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I keep thinking about paying some one at rentacoder.com to "fork" Laserboy to a new GUI, and it is within my means to do so with the money from the new job. Anyone else want to contribute? Or maybe just a wrapper to pass mouse clicks to some form of emulation of "include console".

Just kidding James,

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I keep thinking about paying some one at rentacoder.com to "fork" Laserboy to a new GUI, and it is within my means to do so with the money from the new job. Anyone else want to contribute? Or maybe just a wrapper to pass mouse clicks to some form of emulation of "include console".

Just kidding James,

I already have another source code for a drawing GUI and the ILDA file structure, and I think I know just the guy to finish it.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mrfloppy View Post
    James, i just read on the RPI website a new OS will arrive that takes the X server from CPU to GPU.

this might free up some cpu for you, and fix some bugs with mouse movement perhaps
    Like I have said before.... LaserBoy does all it's own 3D vector math in both short integers and real numbers. It makes no use of any kind of GPU graphics acceleration. Everything it does is right there in the source code that comes with it. That's why it compiles in every OS currently in use.

The only system requirements are a C/C++ compiler and a port of libSDL. Like LaserBoy, Boost is also written in Generic C++ and most of it is written in header files that do not require any pre-compilation.

The one great thing about the Raspberry Pi is that it has a hardware floating point unit! If it had to do all that by emulating floating point math in a non-FPU CPU, it would run as if it was on a 286!

I'm actually very pleased with the performance of LaserBoy on the Pi!

I've also said before that I spent a lot of time working on the code to separate the user interface from the core as much as possible. So anyone can pick it up and write a new UI for it. Just make sure you read the licence agreement first and you abide by it!

So far, the only thing I am aware of is Ild-SOS. And that doesn't really do most of the things that LaserBoy does. It just uses the LaserBoy memory objects to import, manipulate and export the 3D vector art.

I am quite confident that many people use it regularly as it is and would never give it up because they know it can do things that no other application can do!

I would never claim that LaserBoy is bug-free, but not using a mouse is certainly not a bug.

James.
    Last edited by james; 05-28-2013 at 09:57.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.