Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D SpaceNavigator as a MIDI device for Quickshow

Default 3D SpaceNavigator as a MIDI device for Quickshow

It might be due to my ubernoobishment in MIDI ....

Has anybody ever been successful in interfacing the 3dspacenavigator from 3dconnection to Quickshow ?

There are all kinds of tutorials like this one.
    But I never seem to get an input device in quickshow.

I do get it to work as a joystick, but I don't seem to find the tool to map the axises to a midi instrument that shows up in quickshow.

Please help !

The device must be connected to the PC before you launch Quickshow, this I know.

Define the device (MIDI Settings), then map the functions with the learn functions (MIDI to Live Control). It's pretty straight forward.
    This space for rent.

For that to happen, must show up as a device in QS in the first place, (which it doesn't)
    Probably because it is no native MIDI device.
    But i'm sure there must be some workaround.

Try this: Hubi's Loopback MIDI Driver

that connects midi out from one program to midi in on another... I have to use it when connecting 2 different music proggies for the purpose of transferring as midi files (migrating to LIVE from others...)

It's a little clunky, but works well once set up.

I do a similar thing with Wii remotes for controlling Livepro and Beyond. Like GoolGaul said, you need a loopback program. I use one called LoopBe, but I'm sure the one linked above works the same way. Once you have that, the SpaceNavigator MIDI driver information will go to the loopback program, then you can configure QS to accept the input from the loopback driver.

As an alternative to the SN->MIDI driver you link in the original post, you can get a program like GlovePIE that lets you script the commands. I think GlovePIE has a driver for the SN device, but you'd have to check on it. This becomes very useful when you're trying to do things like navigate the cue grid in QS, or multiplex the SpaceNavigator movements. For instance, you could set it up so that holding down a keyboard key while using the SN sends the MIDI control signals to different channels, so you can control many more QS controls with a single SN controller.

Depending on what you're trying to do, you may be disappointed with the MIDI functionality of QS. Beyond is a little better, but LivePro really is the only Pangolin software that has extensive MIDI control (especially for multiple projector control).

Hi Bart,

OMG I didn't even dare hope that we could use the 3dconnextions series of 3d mice with our laser software!!

I use the SpacePilot Pro for doing CAD work with SolidWorks. Loopee just got a SpaceNavigator as well.

I was thinking of asking Bill if they could add support for Beyond. I love mine to death, it increases my productivity around 40%

It could be worth speaking to 3dconnexions. I know they do respond to used requests. All the other models worked with MacOs but the tbe Pilot Pro. It took a while but they added native support for MacOs eventually.

If if we can get this combination to work, its win win for everyone.

Great hardware on the left, great software on the right..... It's a match made in heaven!

Here is a link to there SDK http://www.3dconnexion.com/service/s...developer.html

Oh programming Gods please make our dreams come true

Anyone who does any sort of CAD,modeling,animation, Google earth and a whole lot more. Check out http://www.3dconnexion.com/index.php

Sorry for the thread jack Bart I just thought, the more laser people who know about these great input devices, the better chance we have for being able to use this dream combination.

Anyone else got any of their 3d mice?

Thanks for the thread Bart, I'll be watching with great anticipation!

Cheers
    Kit

Looks like it should work fine as a MIDI controller for many laser softwares, LSX included:
    http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3504925

It will be fun to use it as an abstract manipulator, too. With 6 axes there's plenty to control some interesting things.

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    Looks like it should work fine as a MIDI controller for many laser softwares, LSX included:
    http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3504925

It will be fun to use it as an abstract manipulator, too. With 6 axes there's plenty to control some interesting things.
    Problem with most 'solutions' is that they are a VST plugin. QS does not appear to be a VST host.

Is LSX a VST host ?

I've used that one in america Bart.
    I recommend to stay away from these things really.
    They are useless for laser control and they are terrible for any 3D usage too i found.
    Maybe for some funny application like some weird slow paced game.

If you really want to map a joystick as a kind of midi device, you need midiyoke *free*
    and glovepie *free*
    You can then map it to keys, midi devices, mouse movements or whatever you prefer

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    I've used that one in america Bart.
    I recommend to stay away from these things really.
    They are useless for laser control and they are terrible for any 3D usage too i found.
    Maybe for some funny application like some weird slow paced game.

If you really want to map a joystick as a kind of midi device, you need midiyoke *free*
    and glovepie *free*
    You can then map it to keys, midi devices, mouse movements or whatever you prefer
    Hey master,
    I'm surprised you came to that conclusion. Which one did you use and for how long?

I agree, it is probably not the best tool for laser software in general but I would love to be able to use it while building models in Beyond.

I did find it took a couple of days to get the feel of using it but once I did I can't go back.

With a bit of patience and a gentle touch it can make your workflow much more enjoyable.

It saves so much time rotating zooming, panning the model your are working on. The dedicated and assignable keys on the SpacePilot Pro, SpaceExplorer and the recently released SpaceMouse Pro make a big difference too.

I think the SpaceMouse Pro would be the best as it has gotten rid of the LCD screen from the Pilot that isn't necessary and the buttons are bigger and more ergonomicly placed.

Ooops I'm thread jacking again.... Sorry Bart