Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 163

Thread: The history of Laser show controllers and software, post your contributions here.

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Who are you to dictate to the rest of the forum how a discussion can evolve? More to the point, when is it a "dead end"? It's been over 4 years dude!
    I'm not dictating, those are strong words. Like you said yourself earlier there is a common forum etiquette shared in every forum. I didn't tell you to not dictate what that etiquette is then, did I? If the OP doesn't want his old but *active* thread to go off-topic it shouldn't go off topic.

    Somebody simply saying "we have a troll LOL" or "I agree" after I have responded to what you said he agrees to isn't evidence. They are not sock puppeting you but it does look like a hive mind mentality.

    I suggest you contact me by PM if you have a suggestion or criticism of my behavior as these posts are getting large and discussion about me or Bill is off topic.


    Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    My point is that a larger company with multiple programmers is normally less likely/able to respond in a timely manner than a one-man-show. Pangolin is the exception in that regard. (And you may choose to include Showtacle if you wish.)
    Fair enough. That said, this all started because someone suggested to not criticize Bill because his company is special. I didn't really need to discuss whether his company is special or not as I disagree that is even a good reason to not criticize someone. I could have simply ignored that point to stay on topic, as you can see I don't refuse to accept I'm not part of this "problem".

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,147,488,805

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Yol8r View Post
    there is a common forum etiquette shared in every forum
    Agreed, but I don't remember any forum rule that said the topic can't drift until the initial topic is dead, as you stated... (Especially not when the thread is years old.)
    Thread topics drift all the time around here, so personally I don't see what Bill posted as being thread-crapping.

    If the OP doesn't want his old but *active* thread to go off-topic it shouldn't go off topic.
    In the most general terms, I agree with this statement.

    However, several other people (myself included, now) have contributed to it being moved off-topic, yet only Bill was singled out. I don't think that was right.

    Furthermore, when the claim comes not from the OP, but from a new member (you) that no one knows anything about, the reaction is going to be quite different.

    it does look like a hive mind mentality
    Not unlike Reddit? Or any other forum, really.

    I suggest you contact me by PM
    You read my mind. Just sent a PM.

    Adam

  3. #123
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Fort Mill, SC
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yol8r View Post
    I'm not dictating, those are strong words. Like you said yourself earlier there is a common forum etiquette shared in every forum. I didn't tell you to not dictate what that etiquette is then, did I? If the OP doesn't want his old but *active* thread to go off-topic it shouldn't go off topic.

    Somebody simply saying "we have a troll LOL" or "I agree" after I have responded to what you said he agrees to isn't evidence. They are not sock puppeting you but it does look like a hive mind mentality.

    I suggest you contact me by PM if you have a suggestion or criticism of my behavior as these posts are getting large and discussion about me or Bill is off topic.



    Fair enough. That said, this all started because someone suggested to not criticize Bill because his company is special. I didn't really need to discuss whether his company is special or not as I disagree that is even a good reason to not criticize someone. I could have simply ignored that point to stay on topic, as you can see I don't refuse to accept I'm not part of this "problem".
    Just to be clear I am not taking either side but I do think you are trolling this thread. I personally am laughing because you can't seem to let this go or talk about it elsewhere which is AKA trolling. I personally could care less if you keep bogging down this thread with your flame war against Bill and other (now). But let's call a spade a spade. You are trolling.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andyf97 View Post
    Gone are the days when new members were welcome no matter what opinion they had.. Whoever Yol8r is, its not like relevant anyway just like many other members who have not added there age sex and location, phone, fax and email address. Who the F do you guys think you are to question any member based on how many posts they have or how much info they gave. You are the PL police who have some right? Shameful you guys call yourself Laserists.

    I do recall that PL was a website for people interested in Lasers.
    Maybe you should consider taking your own advice on welcoming people who have different opinions, Andy, been as you singularly singled me out as "a spammer" for holding a different opinion.

    You challenge people who challenge you as spammers or thread spoilers to deflect that you derailed your own thread and started an argument over someone who came here to help YOU by correcting YOUR history mistakes....

    All anybody ever did was politely point out that BB and Pangolin deserve some respect for what they've done for both the industry and this community. When was the last time the CEO of any other "Rolls Royce" company came every year (or at all), without fail, to amateur laser enthusiast meetings, gave free lectures, free gifts and hours of free time tuning people's scanners? Even though he couldn't make UK meets, he still sent gifts and prizes. Yep the guys no saint but he certainly deserves some respect.

    ..and btw those awards were ILDA awards, most probably voted for by the CEO's and Boards members from the very member companies you are voicing as Rolls Royce companies .....and that's not to say they aren't, just that they are not alone.

    ..or are we to believe BB runs ILDA, is soley responsible for Global Warming and is the cause of getting less topping on your pizza than you asked for.... Damn that Benner!

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    ..or are we to believe BB runs ILDA, is soley responsible for Global Warming and is the cause of getting less topping on your pizza than you asked for.... Damn that Benner!
    You've got it figured out! Especially the pizza thing!
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

  6. #126
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    1,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    The cause of getting less topping on your pizza than you asked for....
    Dear Alan, I do not eat Pizza but I love indian and Chinese food. Do you like Pizza Alan? Ohhh sorry I was going off topic for a moment.

    "Electronic spamming is the use of electronic messaging systems to send an unsolicited message (spam), especially advertising, as well as sending messages repeatedly on the same site" Kind of fits perfectly I would say.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spamming

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,147,488,805

    Default

    Mmmmmmm.... Pizza... I like Pizza!

    Adam

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Orlando, FL - USA
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    Looks like we have a troll in this thread. LOL
    AHA I think so too. Maybe AndyF by a different login. This especially looks so since very nearly every post this guy has made is in this particular forum, with the only other two posts being about an ILDA cable and "handling optics". http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...331#post330331 (a post which he has edited earlier today by the way -- possibly to try to cover his tracks)

    The "handling optics" post is especially suspicious, since he looks like a TOTAL newbie (which is fine -- we've all been there), but then all of the sudden has both Pangolin and Showtacle software, has been doing this for a long time, and has had interactions with Michal Pokluda. So which is it? Total newbie or highly experienced user with lots of interaction on two platforms?

    We'll see what an IP trace reveals ;-)

    Quote Originally Posted by andyf97 View Post
    Dear Alan[/url]
    Andy, do you know that his name isn't Alan and just trying to be a jerk?

    Bill

  9. #129
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Fort Mill, SC
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Mmmmmmm.... Pizza... I like Pizza!

    Adam
    Yes let's get this thread back on topic. The history of pizza started in Italy when Queen Margherita of Savoy ...
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Orlando, FL - USA
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    In an attempt to bring this back on topic, does anybody remember Eclipse Consumer Technology? See this video:
    https://youtu.be/9vZeau4nkUU

    I captured that video from an old VHS we had around the office. As I am sitting hear watching this, it REALLY REMINDS ME of Laser Dock. A company trying to put out a product to consumers.

    Eclipse did pretty well and was growing. If you search the internet, you might find exciting news where this small company actually bought a much bigger company. Their business acumen seemed sharp. But then, like many others, they too went out of business, leaving their customers (some of them movie theaters) high and dry with each of the three founders going on to do non-laser-related things.

    Given Andy's long list here, it seems that this is the norm. People and companies come into this business for a while, introduce products, see how much of a pain it is and how hard it is to make money, and then leave for greener pastures. Coming and staying is the exception.

    (Hehe to stir the shit even further, I'd interject that history teaches that poverty is the norm, and prosperity is the exception, and what America has done to lift so many out of poverty, just to see how many more trolls we can find on the forum ;-)

    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    Yes let's get this thread back on topic. The history of pizza started in Italy when Queen Margherita of Savoy ...
    WOW I actually didn't know that!! Thanks!!!


    Bill

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •