Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: The history of Laser show controllers and software, post your contributions here.

Who's that in the picture with the lasers?

[QUOTE]=Photonbeam;309510 Here is a dual SP171 Ar/Ky system being prepped to go out on a KISS tour - early '80's. The touch panel console controlled the actuators on the beam table and the Apple IIe with floppy drive (using Lasermaster1977's excellent software and DAC card) controlled the G120PD scanners. /QUOTE]

Nice photo of representative road system. Lot's of nice memories there.
    I wouldn't say "excellent", but a lot of bang for the 8-bit buck, and thanks to the Woz the platform was extremely reliable.

Remember the Commodores in Greensboro, NC? Now that was a real learning experience and in the end proved invaluable. This shot was from the Monroe, LA venue. Is that when we flew out there in a Cessna 172?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Commodores-2a.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	4.04 MB 
ID:	46456

I have a photo showing the Dodger Stadium laser-gak "home plate" equipment setup of the Victory Tour hours before the show started. This didn't include the backstage 171's. Should I post?
    Last edited by lasermaster1977; 02-05-2018 at 12:22.

Quote Originally Posted by andyf97 View Post
    It is a tech item on indiegogo, run far far away. At best you will get something that does not work as advertised.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by dream beamz View Post
    It is a tech item on indiegogo, run far far away. At best you will get something that does not work as advertised.
    i have one of the usb laserdocks.. it's real and it works. i'll take it to selem for people to check out.

here's a crappy cell phone snap of it in action in my living room.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l-dock.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	328.4 KB 
ID:	50474
    Last edited by swamidog; 08-03-2016 at 11:40.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Talk about bringing a thread back from the dead.....

It looks like LaserBoy never made the official list.

I started on it in 2003. It was originally called ild2fb and only ran in Linux.

I released the free, Windows, Linux Mac-OSX version to the public in open source in 2008.

I also stated using the USB SND8 about the same time to make a USB LaserBoy DAC and drlava and I put out a kit for the correction amp, also in 2008.

James.
    Last edited by james; 08-06-2016 at 11:36.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

don't forget LSX in 2011 and the etherdream dac also in 2011.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Andy, you've missed a few including LGRASS made by Aura Technologies, and the "Rainbow" Amiga system made by LFI. There were also software systems used mainly "in-house" such as the system made and used by AVI. There were also numerous systems made by Selwyn Lissack's company called Laser Works.

You also have some of the Pangolin-related dates wrong. Our first Amiga software system (called LSD256) was released in 1986 (the Amiga 1000 was released in 1985). What we called "LSD2" and later simply named "Lasershow Designer" (which was the follow-on software system) was released in 1989 and our "Lasershow Designer for Windows" was released in 1992.

Nevertheless your list is long, and I also appreciate the pictures you posted above. But it begs the question (also posed by some TV shows) "so where are they now"?

My point is this: Whereas there have been many many other companies who have come and gone, Pangolin has come and stayed! In addition to offering products to the industry, we also shared our knowledge, with many articles written in The Laserist magazine, many on our web site, our contributions to ILDA (including the ILDA Laser Glossary made within a year after us joining ILDA) and most recently with my book on Laser Scanners.

Steve Jobs once said something like "you better really love what you do, otherwise when the hard times come you'll find something else". (Folks please find me the exact quotation...)

Laser software development is a real pain in the ass! There are surely easier ways to make money! That's why so many people have left the business. They basically find other/easier ways to make money and then move on with their lives. Even some of the products being sold today are being sold by entities who are not serving in this industry on a full-time basis.

I personally have been involved with lasers for more than 30 years. It's my passion. And although the others at Pangolin have been in the industry for less time, it is clearly their passion as well. Paulo has been with us for more than 15 years. Ante for more than 12. Alexey for more than 10.

Other people and companies will come and go, as their passions wane and as they find newer/better/easier ways of making money. But we'll still be here, still answering the phones 24 hours per day, 7 days per week!

Best regards,

William Benner

I don't want to break the mood but I cant resist.