Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Noob Advice

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Just for shits and giggles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcngdyOeyg8

This is in my ballroom from about 75 feet away. The center is 3 watts. The lower right is a 2.4, the lower left is 1/2 watt. The furthest out are each around 450-650 mW. This is set up for non-US allowable viewing by the public but there is another version on Youtube that is set up how it should be "legally".

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Things are in the works to get the Kvants certified in the US from what I understand but, I have NO idea on a timetable yet so, you HAVE to take that into consideration.
    Update: Officially, the Co. here, that is getting the Kv-line Certified - under thier-own Projector-series Name - had-gotten "verbal approval" in Jan. from the CDRH on them - they are simply "waiting on the paperwork sign-offs" / delivery via mail, etc.. This is info direct from them, I have not 'called it into question' / called CDRH, etc, etc, so please don't skewer the messenger..

However, that 'approval' is for models *between 5 and 20 Watts* - the units they submitted the report for, as an 'example', are 15-Watt RGBs, so.. that is a different 'chassis-size' and somewhat-different layout / a true, separate R-G-B, vs an R/B + G, etc etc..

Additionally, afaik, anything under 5W (ie: the 1.6, etc..) will need to have certain modifications-done, to become-compliant first, before submission.. exactly what those 'needed items' are, I can't say, for sure, never-having inspected a 1.6, etc, against 'the Regs'.. An emission LED will, yes, be one of those 'line-items', but... there will likely be more items-needed..

..Point-is, just-because the 5+ Watt chassis / model-family will shortly-be Certified - on paper - doesn't 'automatically grant' the lower-power models the same 'certified-status'... Those will need their own product-report submission / review / approval, based on their particular-characteristics..

Although, once that 'OEM' / projector-line is 'in the system' with CDRH, that should make it easier for future 'sibling-product' report-consideration, since they will already be familiar with the 'baseline OEM', etc.. ..in-theory, tho.. this is the 'Center for Dinosaur-age regs and Report Hampering' we're talking about.. ..jk, they seem to finally be 'coming back to life'
    a little...

Anyhoo, fwiw, I'll go away now...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Aaaargghh.... I should a bought a 5 watt Kvant instead?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I should a bought a 5 watt .. instead?!
    Miracle-Gro is pretty-cheap.. jk.. don't worry.. I am sure, once 'in the system', it will be relatively-easy for people to submit / get approvals for 'model-family change / report-amendments'.. You'll just submit, saying '..we propose to use Co XYZ's Certified 'Such and So' Projector, [which is really a Kvant, XYZ..] Acc# 95-XXXX, and modify / introduce into commerce, in the following-manner: .....' ...and then answer their questions / calls for clarification / details on parts-used, etc... that's about it, in a nutshell.. Not the end of the world..

..anyhoo, carry-on..

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by MistrMackey View Post
    Ok ya I understand what your saying that makes sense. So I emailed X-Laser and this is what they had to say

Thank you for contacting us Kyle, unfortunately we cannot install DT-40 scanners into the Mobile Beat series of lasers. There simply isn't enough space in the housing to install them and allow for proper ventilation to keep the unit cool. The Mobile Beat series of lasers was designed for simple graphics and stunning aerial effects. If the majority of your intended shows are aerial effects or "beam shows" 15K scanners are a great low cost solution for many, if you intend to do primarily projected graphics and text our Skywriter line is better suited towards that purpose.

Thanks again for the contact and please feel free to call or email with any other questions you may have!
    Actually I do remember a case swap being a part of the bargain struck now you mention it.

Your other choice might be to get a quote for a smaller Skywriter, the same laser power as the Mobile Beat instead of the Sky Writer series.

BTW I just noticed something with X laser - their RGB systems are quoting 7 colours suggesting they are TTL.

I would suggest you really want analogue modulated lasers otherwise you'll be upgrading far too soon.

I'm guessing the only answer might be an extended budget.

Wow dude that 3w is amazing! honestly thats kinda how I expected the 450mw's to look i'm gonna incorporate the laser with my scanners and moving heads... although.... all those lasers would be pretty fancy....

Everything is always better with an extended budget : ) whats the difference between ttl and analog?

TTL limits you to 7 colours. Analogue gives you around 15 million (in theory).

The real point is apart from being unable to do subtle colours you can't do gradients with TTL either.

With TTL the laser is either on or off. With analogue it can be on or off to varying degrees thus allowing much more variation for colour mixing hence the much extended pallete.

AHHH yes I def want that. So what I'm really looking for is a 500mw to 750mw rgb with analog control and I can PROBABLY get away with 15k seeing as I think I'll use it more for beam then animation. I can't increase my budget I need new moving heads

I'll take the liberty of answering that though, only because Dan has explained it to me. (Going to sound like I work for X-Laser! I don't but, they're a great company and I support what they do.) Keep in mind their target market. Mobile DJ's. Typically a mobile DJ is not into this the same way a laserist or hobbiest would be. They want a "wow" light that is inexpensive and durable enough to handle the rigors of travel. Usually most are too busy working with their music to have to spend an enormous amount of time learning about or working with lights. In the US, it also needs to meet the safety requirements and be approved through CDRH. By carefully working to maximize the potential of equipment, they squeeze out the most performance possible while still keeping it durable and affordable. TTL as opposed to analog, is always on at 100 percent of the lasers power meaning that, it's always running putting out the maximum amount of light possible. Most DJ's are going to work much more with beams than with graphics. TTL gives you maximum brightness all the time - to the tradeoff of not as many mixed colors. If you're a purist and want the colors perfect then TTL is not the way to go. If you're going out to a club drinking and dancing, or a prom, or a wedding, or a birthday party, you're there for the party and not studying the subtle shade changes in a particular beam. Or how many millimeters larger in diameter the red is compared to the blue is making up a beam. You want bright, you want power, you want "wow". You want easy. Their scanners are the same way. Beams don't require the ability to draw as many points as graphics so, you can get away with slower scanners. That doesn't necessarily mean "cheap", as X-Laser works hard to maximize their efficiency and reliability. As mentioned before, they are also VERY much concerned about making sure that their customers are educated in laser safety. That their equipment meets or exceeds the standards imposed by the CDRH and that their purchasers have a method of getting their variance with relative ease.

Is their stuff targeted to the purist? No. That's where a CT Lasers comes into play. Does it fill a much needed void aimed at the growing DJ market of legal, well made and reasonably priced equipment? Damn straight.

PS - The 3 watt was built by Marc at CT Lasers.
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 03-16-2012 at 14:43.