Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am frying p3s =(

Default I am frying p3s =(

Thought i had a bit of knowledge about very basic wiring after wiring my projector together, but i believe i fried the p3.. it smoked when i plugged it into my 12v source. The thing i messed up was wiring my int to my m+ and not the v+. i plugged it in and it smoked. switched the int to the v+ and it smoked again so i figured i had screewed it up the first time. i tried another p3 and tried to be very careful soldering, i only wired in the g and the v+ and again i tried it with just the v+ and g and poof. I spent a decent amount of time reading on this and from what i understood i did everything accordingly. Let me post some pictures:Attachment 31159Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00467.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	3.81 MB 
ID:	31163 Could someone helpe me identify my problem? i thought this was an easy step but i guess i was wrong. i am using a switchable transformer at 12v.

Ps if this brought me problems i probably will need some help with wiring the diodes.

attached are some pictures of my build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00465.JPG  

DSC00363.JPG  

DSC00366.JPG  

DSC00411.JPG  

want a new one ? send me a PM Dont make the same mistake again Shoot me a pm

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

Can't help with your wider problem as I don't build but I can say the wiring looks dangerous in pic 1.

The long tails on those brown and green wires could short if the board is moved. Either against each other on the underside or the green against the pot wire or other components on the upper side.

I'd either cut them short or wrap the end of the wires in heat shrink electrical insulation. Cutting them is probably safer as heat shrink can come off.

looking at the first pic if thats just a tranny your trying to run that p3 on 12v ac not the dc it requires
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Quote Originally Posted by badger1666 View Post
    looking at the first pic if thats just a tranny your trying to run that p3 on 12v ac
    Yeah, I though the same, There is no rectifier, regulator. Hmm new power supply Id say
    Squat that bug,

One day I'll finish my build.
    https://www.facebook.com/Azteclasers?fref=ts

Yeah, that would explain it.

A transformer outputs AC. You need a rectifier and a filter cap to turn that into DC. Both of those p3's are forever toasted. You were giving worst case about 4 amps at 12 vac to a device that is designed for DC power. Smoke would be the expected result.
    see here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectifi...tput_smoothing

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

ok thanks that was my first guess too. I will obtain some new p3s and a different ps. This is why i asked. thanks for now.Any good ps that i can run these with that is recommended then?

ok thanks that was my first guess too that i grabbed an incorrect part for a ps. I will obtain some new p3s and a different ps. This is why i asked. thanks for now.Any good ps that i can run these with that is recommended then?

And i was feeling all proud thinking i knew what all those squiggly lines and x#s where on top of the transformer..

you can have mine for free I don,t use it anymore. Its a used one but works fine. Postage is 5 euro or so if you pay that i will post it monday :-)

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

thats very nice of you edison
    top man
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.