Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey holography guys! A question...

Default Hey holography guys! A question...

Can you guys make diffraction gratings? Specifically transmissive?
    It would be really cool to make some PL-DG's

Chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Yes, its easier then actual holo. Made my own X-Y dual axis liquid crystal with photopolymer gratings. Of course at the time I had access to a magical 350 mW temOO UV laser with a etalon in it.

Oh, wait, I have access to a 10 watt stabilized Verdi now. No problems to expose the plates.
    I kept the optics that let me do the XY dot array.
    Steve.

It would be great if we could make some Peter Meyer stile stuff here. I would buy some, I am sure that others would as well.

Can you make a hologram of a Machida grating? How about other things? Lenticular? shower door, Fresnel, fuzz, star, different ordered DG's?

Chad
    p.s. obliviously I don't know much about holography.

Well outside my holographic comfort zone. However, there are others here that could do these without problem, Steve included

Might also be worth asking the question on the Holoforum.

Hey Steve... Verdi... Nice holography laser
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    I would buy some, I am sure that others would as well.
    great idea!! i would also be in for a variety of DG. Time to add scan through efects in our boxes maybe?

however, as much as i would love to have a machida, i think there is some copyright involved there and people can't just go on and copy it
    i hope i am wrong though
    "its called character briggs..."

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Well outside my holographic comfort zone. However, there are others here that could do these without problem, Steve included

Might also be worth asking the question on the Holoforum.

Hey Steve... Verdi... Nice holography laser
    V10.

I'm quite sure I can do gratings with the JDSU micro I have. Its NOT a LONG coherence intensive process.
    Gratings can easily be wrote by expanding the beam and then sticking one or two mirrors into the "cone" of expanding light.
    Often they are wrote using a beam grazing two parallel mirrors. Jem, you can do it.

You can even do "contact prints" of existing gratings under some circumstances, with some minor errors creeping in. Contact prints get "fuzzy" fast. Let me see how much LiCristal 7 liquid crystal material costs and I'll get back to you. I have to finish the new quad driver design first, had to switch chips...

We did UV exposures with nothing more then LiCristal, A cheap UV activated glue, and a sensitizer. The sensitizer is a modified Rose Bengal (isomer) for green. I cant disclose the UV sensitizer. Exposure time was on the order of 30 seconds with the UV.

You can also laserprint crude gratings on transparency, there is freeware out there for this. However the results are crap unless you can reduce them on photolith or similar emulsion.

Better gratings then I can ever make come from this guy, and I use his wheels extensively.
    His masters are "wrote" with a electron beam, allowing things that cannot be done by a simple HOLO exposure.
    He's got a PhD in it, so he knows what he's doing.

http://www.creativelaser.de/hardware...lygratings.htm

I just wish he had a stocking US Distributer again.

You can make your own Machida clones, you just cannot sell them or projectors incorporating them. Its tedious, unless you have CNC to lay the glass rods.
    The glass is actually off the shelf.

Peter's "Machado" grating is a better investment.
    Last edited by mixedgas; 03-18-2012 at 03:14.

Thanks Steve, interesting stuff.

I've never ventured near diffraction gratings. I guess at some point when time permits I ought to try and push outside my comfort zone and give DF's a try. Folks keep telling me it isn't that difficult

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Peter's "Machado" grating is a better investment.
    Ayyep.. Here's a wayyy-grave dig post, w/ Pix.. http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...6249#post36249 - Not sure if you guys also see the 'huh??' errors on the pix-linx, but... if you actually click on them, they will come-up... Most interesting is the Machida (..correct sp, btw.. ..) and Machado, in the same-shot..

Machado orders are a 'bit' more widely-spread / non-uniform, but at, what, ~$95. + shipping? vs $595. or whatever it was for a 'genuine-Machida'? That's one 'clone-job' that 'looks good from my-house'...

Holo-gratings are more suited to reproducing 'specific-patterns', ie: http://www.meshtel.com/grating.htm - scroll down to the bottom to the 'green ones'... that sort-of thing... something relatively 'linear' can be more 'cleanly' done with Peter's µ-level process..

j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 03-18-2012 at 03:47. Reason: sp
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I just sent some old source code to some one. Lets see what happens.

Steve

Aah That would be really cool. Look forward to seeing some home brew DG stuff!

chad