Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Prisms for 445nm diode front surface knife edging

Hi guys,

I´m pretty happy about your interest (after the dead lens thread).

@planters

Thank you for the pics of the Al- or Ag-mirrors. Thats the reason why you wont get the same tight stacked beam with mirrors as with prisms, doesnt matter how coated the mirrors are (Al, Ag or even dielectric), the major problem remains - the edge of the mirrors is never so clean as of the prisms. So there a are only two choices, to lose power while knifing at the edge or knifing somewhere in the "middle" of the mirror and get a larger beam diameter with dark stripes. Thats also the reason why Kvant and other high end manufacturers use prisms instead of mirrors.
    Your question regarding the min quantity. Well, 100pcs or more make much more sense, because of two things, the first is that I get a volume discount which I wont get if I order lower quantity, the second thing is the high shipping fee to me. For a small package (10x20x4cm) it costs me around 50€. So you all can imagine that lower quantity will increase the price dramatically.

@danielbriggs

I saw this curve in the past before I ordered for the first time but I cannot find it anymore. I´ll ask the factory to send it to me again and then post it here.
    BTW, there are many coatings available. Just tell me the wavelength or the bandwidth you need. The factory offers nearly every coating you can imagine at a very reasonable price.
    offtopic: If you had a sad day, just call Thorlabs and ask them for custom coating price for 100pcs and you will laugh the rest of the day. Trust me, I did. offtopic ends.

@ all

I was asked several times about the prices for volume orders.
    Here they are:

1-49pcs 12€ (excl. VAT)
    50 or more 10,50€ (excl. VAT)

I also can offer prisms (for red or blue or whatever you want) in other sizes. If there is somebody who feels more comfortable with 7mm or 10mm prisms, just let me know.

Regards

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    ..Indeed, they-do..

Attachment 31414 ..and-how...

This li'l beauty-queen looks like it is both knife and stack (..looks to me like '3 tiers' of diode-levels, with the prisms mounted at lower, mid, and upper-heights on the knife-blox arrays... sheer brilliance.. btw..not implying that this is a 'Blue' unit, was just using blue in p-shop in doing my 'theorizing' about the paths / summing-technique, etc..

j
    exactly the same method as arctos just using different lens and no telescopics
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

As there seems to be some interest on prisms for red diodes, I´ve opened new thread for the red prisms GB. LINK

For G71 the better choice will be the 7mm prisms, because of the large beam at aperture. For single mode diodes 5mm prisms the best choice.

Thanks for the feed back. Just a note; the upper mirror is a dielectric and although I can't be absolutely certain the I am fairly shure that the lower is a dielectriclly enhanced Al.

I think the explanation for their superiority might be that the prisms are polished to the edge while the mirrors are cleaved. One important issue, however is whether the edge of the prism is chamfered. This could significantly interfere with tight edging and this is often done to protect these vulnerable edges. Can we see a similar micrograph of these prisms as this would put a lot of concerns to rest? With respect to the coating choices, if the minimum can be reached with a mix of wavelengths then this will be MUCH easier to get to.

@planters

Unfortunately I do not have a microscope to make such pics. If anybody could help who is located in Germany (anywhere else will take too much time for shipping), I´d send him/her one prism. I also can send you one, planters but I think it will take too much time.
    We will need a min. quantity of 100pcs for each coating (red, blue...). Different coatings cannot be summarized.

I volunteer a decent microscope + my time.
    (Standard Airmail UK shipping would only be 3 days, worst case.)
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Hi Daniel!

Sounds great, please PM me your shipping address.

Daniel will get 3 prisms from me for testing proving the data I gave you. Keep watching the thread.

Thank you very much Sir.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Hey Alex,

just to state some interest here, 10 of each (red and blue) would cover my needs for starters..
    I'm sure these will awaken some more interests.