Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Personally I'm going to give it a miss. I like my data on my own PC not on a cloud somewhere where governments and agencies can snoop and where its far more vulnerable to hackers - lets face it as a hacker where are you going to attack an individual pc or a server with the data of tens of thousands of PC users? The former may be easier but the latter is far more rewarding in terms of the amount of usable info eg credit card numbers and passwords you can harvest.
    Surrender your hard drive and prepare to be bloated, I mean boarded!
    You will be assimilated- resistance is futile. Yeah, I stayed away
    from the Widows Live cloud computing, log on with your email account etc,
    and that's probably defeating the whole purpose of trying W8 in the first place,
    together with the fact that I don't have any touch screen PC gear to try out
    MS's latest attempt to catch up with Apple stuff anyway...

That reminds me... I have to make my annual pilgrimage to the library to get the
    stuff I need to file a good olde fashioned PAPER income tax return.

BTW, the CM6206 USB soundcard seems to work using the driver built in W8, but there
    are some level setting tweaks that need to be done in the mixer to get it right for a specific
    application.
    Last edited by dchammonds; 03-27-2012 at 21:15.

Windows is for conformists.

OS-X, FreeBSD, Linux, Unix, anything but Billy Bob's security nightmare!!!
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Windows 7 is a curse word to me; Windows 8 just has an overly vulgar sound to me. I just upgraded to XP 64 to see if it works as well as XP 32.

Good luck with your endeavor.
    xp 64 is horrible lol

Windows 8 will probly be dissapointing.
    The only thing that is good is that windows gets ARM processor support.

Win7 is not that old, hell a lot of people here at work are still using XP. Now win8 ?? wtf . When's win 9 and 10 coming out, next month?

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Win7 is not that old, hell a lot of people here at work are still using XP. Now win8 ?? wtf . When's win 9 and 10 coming out, next month?
    Iphone, ipad etc. Apple are not innocent in this "next big thing" thing. I dont like windows but if the software we use runs on it, what can we do? Just stick to the version you know and like.

Quote Originally Posted by haymaker View Post
    Iphone, ipad etc. Apple are not innocent in this "next big thing" thing. I dont like windows but if the software we use runs on it, what can we do? Just stick to the version you know and like.
    I agree. Windows for Workgroups 3.11 rocks!
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by haymaker View Post
    What I was referring to is how long does ms legally have to support XP and win7. (before they force us to their next 'great' os like w8.) They pulled support for win 2000 about a year ago iirc and some machines here at work had to go down for a while. I have win7 and XP at home. Wondering when they pull the support for XP ..

What I was referring to is how long does ms legally have to support XP and win7. (before they force us to their next 'great' os like w8.) They pulled support for win 2000 about a year ago iirc and some machines here at work had to go down for a while. I have win7 and XP at home. Wondering when they pull the support for XP ..
    Support for XP officially ends April 8, 2014. You best be running Win 7 by then as XP will become a security nightmare (worse than now).
    This space for rent.

They are indeed rushing those OS's too much nowadays. windows XP lasted long for my feeling and then suddenly vista came and quite quickly win7 followed.. windows 7 is not old indeed and i will keep using that .
    Windows 7 is excellent windows 8 is NOT
    ARM support is the only highlight, metro is a failjure.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    I agree. Windows for Workgroups 3.11 rocks!
    Just gimme DOS 5 'cause Windows ate my homework.