Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Software to create an .ild formated file (ILDA Export?).

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    If you exchange your FB3 QS board for an FB3 XE board, you can use the SD card on the FB3 instead of the rubbish that came built into the projector. You then use LiveQuick/Quickshow to generate and export your frames.
    Failing that, as has been mentioned, Pangolin offer a money back guarantee, so drop Bill a line and I'm sure he'll sort you out.
    I thought I'd give a quick update on this...
    I was finally able to create the .ILD files & animations, but they're not quite what I wanted or expected.
    After going through the Laser animation "pinball machine" (well, that's what it felt like)
    I now have a much better understanding as to why the .ILD format is frowned upon. And the wisdom of Norty303 was spot on! (which is why I'm replying to his post).
    The .ILD files do work, but the time an effort to create (can't use existing), clean-up and animate is very tedious and time consuming.
    Now armed with new information and knowing what questions to ask, it looks like Pangolin's FB3-SE product is a good fit and I don't have to open up my lasers to use it, as I previously thought.
    I talked (emailed) Pangolin and they were very willing to work with me in either exchanging my FB3-QS for the FB3-SE or a new FB3-SE at a "Can I see if this works?" price. (Nice guys there). Going the FB3-SE route will save me **ALOT** of time and frustration (well worth the extra $$, which really isn't that much in the long run).
    So, that's where I stand.
    I just wanted to say "thanks" for all the help and good advice, even though I didn't listen and still went in the wrong direction.
    I still think Pangolin's approach to not support .ild is a bad policy. Why not just export the simple/crappy .ILD graphics and we'll quickly come around to the way-cool .LDS.
    And to all the Newbies out there, listen to these guys here on the forum. They know their stuff!

Doug
    (The end results will be running mid sept. I'll post a video then)

It's not an issue of it being a crappy format standard, it's that Pangolin has a _heap_ of frames and shows that belong to them, as a company. If they allowed ILDA export, all these frames and shows could be ported to any other lasershow software.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

no one expects pangolin to allow ilda export for their proprietary content... but to not allow export of orignal user created content is inconceivable.

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    It's not an issue of it being a crappy format standard, it's that Pangolin has a _heap_ of frames and shows that belong to them, as a company. If they allowed ILDA export, all these frames and shows could be ported to any other lasershow software.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I know you have already decided on FB3 (a wise choice) but here is a small tidbit. Look at .ild the same way you would a .txt file. .txt is a simple file that every text editor can read. Same with .ild. It is great for giving artwork to anyone, who has any system. Like a text file, it is stripped of most of its proprietary format so every "industry standard" software can play it. It does not always export well from its proprietary format. The thing is, unless you are sharing artwork, there really is no need to export to ilda. If you are using Mamba, Pangolin, or LSX, you are already using top-notch software. I noticed your projector has an ILDA input. Best to just use the top notch software/hardware (as Norty said). You will be happier in the long run.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

My poor choice of words. Since I don't know the workings of the .ild standard, I shouldn't say "crappy". Maybe just limiting? Or maybe it's still my lack of knowing how to use all the different software that seems to be necessary just to create a simple .ild animation.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    I know you have already decided on FB3 (a wise choice) but here is a small tidbit. Look at .ild the same way you would a .txt file. .txt is a simple file that every text editor can read. Same with .ild. It is great for giving artwork to anyone, who has any system. Like a text file, it is stripped of most of its proprietary format so every "industry standard" software can play it. It does not always export well from its proprietary format. The thing is, unless you are sharing artwork, there really is no need to export to ilda. If you are using Mamba, Pangolin, or LSX, you are already using top-notch software. I noticed your projector has an ILDA input. Best to just use the top notch software/hardware (as Norty said). You will be happier in the long run.
    I like the .txt analogy. I remember the early Word/Word Perfect/Lotus/Excel... days and having to try to convert one to another. Feels like the same thing all over again with the laser tech. I'm making progress and learning alot more than I thought I would with all this. So much for "plug & play" .
    I'm sure I'll be very happy with the Pangolin setup. With what I'm doing, I can't use the ILDA port directly. I need the DMX/SD Card feature. I'm working with more than just a laser here and it's all coming together together nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing the FB3-SE at work.
    Doug

I have a small red/green "toy" laser with sd card input.
    http://www.eforchina.com/view/78799/...-NW-S-D03-.htm
    The 1 gig sd card that came with it has a ton of frames and animations.
    In preparing to upgrade to a laser with ilda input connector, I purchased QuickShow at TEXLEM this year.
    When I started exploring QS...I discovered a large number of the animations that come with QS were ones I've been projecting which came with the laser I bought. It has been done.

The Laserists at TEXLEM said they were impressed with the capabilities of my "toy".

Quote Originally Posted by rodman1369 View Post
    I have a small red/green "toy" laser with sd card input.
    http://www.eforchina.com/view/78799/...-NW-S-D03-.htm
    The 1 gig sd card that came with it has a ton of frames and animations.
    In preparing to upgrade to a laser with ilda input connector, I purchased QuickShow at TEXLEM this year.
    When I started exploring QS...I discovered a large number of the animations that come with QS were ones I've been projecting which came with the laser I bought. It has been done.

The Laserists at TEXLEM said they were impressed with the capabilities of my "toy".

I'm not so sure it was a QS export, but more likely an .ild import into QS, which is easy to do.
    And, as for the "toy". I was worried about the RGB laser I purchased from China for about $500. This thing is better than I hoped, with the exception of being "legal" (something else I learned about this past month and will rectify soon, but that's another topic/thread).

Doug

My random idea.
    All included frames in QS workspace *which u get* should have a lock.
    Meaning if you use one of them, you lose ilda export.
    Meaning that you need a workspace which basicly allows you to distribute or requires you to make your own frames.
    Someone could charge for a workspace which has these distribution rights or you can do it yourself

How does that sound?

Because I would be pissed off as a company too to see your cue's get into hands of people who didn't pay for it
    Currently export of quickshow shows is not allowed and I dont think it should unless its completely custom made.

That could work, just give all the files included in QS a little lock in them so that if they are being used in any part, they wont allow ILDA export, but completely new drawings will.