Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 6: Aug 16 - 19 Sign up now!

Club SELEM:

Thumbs up

I agree with Gary; it's a great event, but it feels different now that so many veterans are missing this year. And yeah, there are a few young women wandering around, which is an interesting distraction that we haven't had to deal with in past years. Of course, even though they are adults, they're all younger than my own children... (Damn, that made me feel really old just then.)

Before I forget, I'd like to post the door prize winners:

Pangolin FB3 (quickshow edition) - donated by AixiZ Lasers ---- jimboy3625
    100 mw green (TTL) lab laser module- donated by AixiZ Lasers ---- jeffthe00
    100 mw green (TTL) lab laser module- donated by AixiZ Lasers ---- allthatwhichis
    Gift certificate from Mike Dunn (one free show) ---- displaser
    Gift certificate from Mike Dunn (one free show) ---- imagelight
    Gift certificate from Mike Dunn (one free show) ---- stuka
    CT lasers gift certificate ($250) ---- johnyayas
    X-laser gift certificate ($200) ---- ragdoll
    Cordless Microsoft travel mouse - donated by Blowfly - Owen Murphy (no screen name yet)
    Laser safety glasses for blue/green wavelengths - donated by Mariomaster ---- djmatt
    Laser safety glasses for blue/green wavelengths - donated by Mariomaster ---- drevil
    Green laser pointer - donated by DJmatt ---- flecom
    3-fan cooling array - donated by Lazerman121 ---- bradfo69
    Low RPM motor for lumia - donated by Hakzaw1 - cfavreau
    high-power emergency flashlight - donated by Hakzaw1 ---- mariomaster

Thanks again to everyone who sponsored door prizes this year!

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 08-24-2012 at 03:48. Reason: typo

Thanks for the video. One year I will be able to make it, and enjoy all of the FUN!!!

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Gosh, how did it get to be Sunday morning already? Day 2 can be summed up as "set-up", as with two spaces and the timing of when we could get into where, it was about 9:30 pm before things were in full gear. The score at this point is: Building 1... Subs 0 as we managed to destroy a speaker in a manner probably never seen by anyone...pic to be posted later but, ever seen a magnet broken apart?? Yep! Happened here.

The 2012 question of the year has been: "Who flushed the toilet?" as we've had a bit of an issue keeping the graphics ion fired and running with the periodic water pressure drops but, nonetheless, a great many shows have been enjoyed in the auditorium.

Seminars by Dan from X-Laser, Greg (displaser), and Bill Benner have been informative and entertaining. Watch for some new and exciting things from Pangolin in the near future.

Club SELEM has been a hit but, IMHO seemed like a lot of work for the short time it's been available. Erecting a high quality night club without a crowd of people to dance and enjoy it seemed, at least to me, to be a little deflating. It also spreads gear out over two spaces that I know is going to make tear down a bit more hectic with more error for stuff going missing. If everyone leaves with the correct extention cords, power cords, ilda cables, dmx cables, etc. they came with, it will be impressive. My $.02 would be to design the auditorium in such a way that you have both things you want to acheive, set up and overlayed. Then run balanced shows some of the time from one control station and play live some of the time with a bazillion projectors from another.

20 minutes from the official start of Day 4 so, time to head off to the venue for some more phun!

I'm back home and about to fall asleep in my chair. I showed up at the venue a little after 9am but there were only a handful of people around and nothing was going on so I decided to drive back home early. I was looking forward to Master PJs show since Displaser assured me that it was something special. I also wanted to see the DMX demo but oh well. It was nice seeing all of you again.

Default PJ's Show

Yep... You missed it - was shown several times on Sunday afternoon. We were wondering where you went?
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

Thoroughly enjoyed my first SALEM. Many thanks to buffo and the many others who went through the effort of pulling this together. The talks were great, however I'm sorry I missed the DMX session. I was really impressed at the upgrade to the main auditorium last night - having the truly awesome graphics projector complemented by 5 solid state rigs made a much greater impact than just the rig alone.

-David

As always, it was great to see everyone!

The auditorium setup was perfect!
    Just the right mix & quantity of gear, in a really good arrangement for running the mix of graphics and beams.

I think if we can repeat that (or similar) setup in the auditorium in the future we can plan for some really creative new shows, and as Aaron did this year, we can bring new life to some of the staple shows that have been around for a while.

I'll have to say that the "club SELEM" annex was an impressive array of a ton of gear!!
    No doubt a cool setup for the clubbers in attendance.

Overall, pretty cool -
    Hope we can do the same next year ...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Hey everyone! Once again I had a great time at SELEM! I got to meet new people that I didn't run into last year. Turns out there are a lot of common interests outside of lasers shared among the group. Much thanks to all that organized the event, those that brought hardware or shows and everything else! Thanks to Matt for helping diagnose my ALC 60X which is dead.

I have some of the better pictures I took on my flickr here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ethanotoole/7820757510
    (Full res is available.)

This year I made it a point to record a good chunk of 1920x1080 video, as I never got around to it last year and regret it. I've also reached out to two local venues that used to have laser shows to see if they've got any old ADAT tapes kicking around.

And spending 5 + 5 hours in the car with cfavreau leads to tons of creative ideas!

Already ordered a few parts to start prototyping a lumia / beamrail DMX-512 controller and am about to start researching the Mitsubishi 500mw reds.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    The talks were great, however I'm sorry I missed the DMX session.
    You didn't miss it. We never had one. Too many other things going on, scheduling problems, and lack of interest ended up killing the idea. Maybe next year.

Likewise, the optics presentation never happened either. There was just too much going on.

Despite having fewer people, we had more equipment this year, and that created some challenging logistical problems. Overall the event went well, but as always, we were plagued by scheduling issues.

Next year we will be better!

Adam