Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 6: Aug 16 - 19 Sign up now!

Quote Originally Posted by djmatt View Post
    What kind is it?
    small air cooled uniphase 40mla

I have two, one is perfect, but one won't fire at all, still a major noob with Ion Lasers.

I may also have something a little bigger and higher power before then if things work out right

Oh nice!!
    If its like the ones Im thinking of..Ive got 2 on ebay now..lol
    Just come to the Ion Room at SELEM!!lol!
    Awesome!!!
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Quote Originally Posted by djmatt View Post
    Oh nice!!
    If its like the ones Im thinking of..Ive got 2 on ebay now..lol
    Just come to the Ion Room at SELEM!!lol!
    Awesome!!!
    Yeah, it's identical to the 2201-40mla you have on there.

Is there a running list of attendees somewhere, usually thought this was in the first thread. /?
    leading in trailing technology

Quote Originally Posted by icecruncher View Post
    BTW when do we need to have payment in by?
    You can pay at the door if you want, but you won't get a shirt. We prefer people to pay within 3 weeks of the event. Makes budgeting a lot easier. I normally close off the shirt order somewhere between 3 weeks and 2 weeks before the event.
    Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Is there a running list of attendees somewhere, usually thought this was in the first thread. /?
    Normally there is, but right now there are only 3 people signed up. You, me, and Brad. I suppose I can put that on the first post in this thread though.

Would be nice to see some more people registered though. I'm staring at a 4 figure bill for the rental of the venue alone, and with only 3 people signed up, it's looking mighty bleak. (Just over 2 months to go peope...)

Adam

Smile

With regard to covering the windows in the cafeteria area, I've got some more info on the size and number of each (see post above for pictures):

17 x 48...(15)
    80 x 48...(15)

17 x 35...(7)
    80 x 35...(7)

43 x 37...(2)

30 x 6... (2) doors

60 x 6... (2) doors

That's a lot of area to cover... Anyone want to volunteer to help with this?

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I wouldn't sweat it TOO much yet. It's SELEM... people will find a way. Plus there is a buzz on the photonforums as well.

And if not... well... we have an awful lot of firepower and hours of content. We'll put on a ticketed show for the town! Between two varianced laser production companies, I think we could get it done.

I cannot posibly go this year unless I am carpooling with 2 or 3 others. I can meet up anywhere between Houston and DFW.

I would like to arrive early and stay late but as we must be on such things, I am flexible about that part. I can bring a super EZ hauling little 4x8 utility trailer with big box for PJs to keep them dry and safe. Lots of room in trailer for luggage, ice chests ,tables etc. My car could make the trip but I would prefer something newer with better MPG.

I worry more about the transportation than the lodging.. I hope to get another suite this year and again let Sam have one of the beds . I am fine with the couch or one of my airbeds.. I have several if others need one let me know.

SO all 'youse guys' in Houston, DFW, Austin, San Antonio or San Marcos (etc) send me some good news via PM.

AFAIK I will be bringing ( or sending--sadly ) another bunch of good doorprizes from Dr Chuck AixiZ Lasers and possibly another QS 2.0 FB3..

I can fully apprecate being in Adam's position as we feared a very low turnout for TEXLEM San Antonio last March...it turned out to be Okay, but we were feeling like it was going to be a fail and several had to step up and add to the $$ during and after so....do it now.

So those who can should sent in your shirt sizes and attendee fees asap.

From Brad...

"Between two varianced laser production companies, I think we could get it done."

^^ I wondered about that at the SELEMs I have attended.. it sounds like super idea but then I have no hands-on experience on what all that would encompass..

When the Houston Planetarium held two 1 hour shows back many years ago we used to drive the one hour and buy tickets for both shows IIRC they charged $6 for each ticket(back then) put on a 8PM(oldies) a 9PM (PF/Led Zep) and a 10PM for techno/dubstep and it was well advertized we could likely generate a nice amount.

To make it easy to know who has paid for what we could get cheap wristbands for each show(3 colors) so once show #1 is those w/only one exit and those with a secondwrist band can stay for the next show.. etc.. this would require only one person to be standing at the entrances to the show and one or two who took the money and put the bands (tightly) on each persons wrist(there is good resons for not just handing them the band).

The shows need to be ~50 min each.

Easy to count the leftover bands and the money to keep all straight.

We could sell bottled water for a buck apiece.

But I am sure there are a lot of reasons why this would not work--so please chime in W/your opinions.
    Last edited by hakzaw1; 06-10-2012 at 12:51.

Smile

Opening SELEM up to the general public is fraught with problems. And I'm not just talking about blinding people. We have tons of expensive gear just laying around. We're on the honor system, but add 50 or 100 civilians to the mix and you have a real potential for theft. Then too, what about all the tripping hazards? Or the exposed 3 phase electrical power in the backstage area?

And most importantly - the enthusiast's who attend SELEM are there to meet other laserists, learn new things, and have fun. Sort of hard to do all that with a large crowd from the general public milling about...

No, I really don't want to think about making SELEM into a commercial laser show. If we get that strapped for cash, I'll find some other way to pay for it.

Note that the venue itself would be ideal for a commercial show, assuming it were a separate event. DZ and I have actually talked about this very idea at length over the past several years, although we've never attempted it. But for a commercial show, the setup would be completely different than is is for SELEM. For one, you'd only have a few projectors set up, and the control station would be off to one side, very close to the stage. You'd have very little extra gear with you. Also, you'd only have a few laserists present, and you'd have the entire backstage and dressing room area blocked off completely.

With a setup like that, I could see selling up to 200 tickets (downstairs seating only) and possibly making a small profit on the venture. Maybe one day we'll come back to the venue and try to put on a show, but I have no plans to do so during SELEM.

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I knew it wouldn't be possible during SELEM and was half kidding but, it's cool that you've given it some consideration as a separate event because it really is a nice venue to work with for something of that nature. I HAVE tried to see if there was a way if I ever did a DeLEM to have some portion of it be a laser show for the public but I agree it could be fraught with problems. With the ballroom being dividable, Mark and I talked about a "show" room and a "play" room not unlike what we'll have witht he auditorium/cafeteria set up this year.