Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 59

Thread: Not another build thread!!!

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Sussex, England
    Posts
    5,248

    Default

    Marc, are you doing anything special with the cooling on the Laserwave OEM heads, or are they just fixed directly to the baseplate with thermal grease/pads?

    I saw on one of the recent Goldenstar threads that they mount an additional heatsink under the baseplate with a fan, and wondering if they need this extra cooling? I do use GPU processor heatsinks on the underside anyway, but only passive.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

    You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

    I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    664

    Default

    Interesting Point Adam,
    Mike had a couple of projectors running the OEM heads at the last LEM. I'm pretty sure they were bolted directly to the optics plate without any extra forced cooling.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Under a rock in Cambridge UK
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    They do get very hot, very quickly, as do the drivers... Mine are on a 10mm baseplate with a 40mm thick heatsink under it, then I have 4 C@sio fans blowing across the heatsink, but they are only running 5v. At 12v the projector almost takes off

    P1020198.JPG

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Sussex, England
    Posts
    5,248

    Default

    Hmm... thanks for that info. That might make my next plans a bit more complex. I'm wondering if the extra cost/hassle of cooling the OEM heads is worth it over just buying a properly TEC'd head in the first place.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

    You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

    I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    8,647

    Default

    the LW OEM modules are tec'ed
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Under a rock in Cambridge UK
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    the LW OEM modules are tec'ed
    Yes they are, but I would still suggest adequate heat sinking etc as they do get hot... My level of cooling might be overkill for just an OEM on its own, but these are 5 watt RGB's so there is a lot to warm up in there and I don't really want stuff moving about with heat... Been there, done that, got the tee shirt and the massive headache

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    8,647

    Default

    i think your bang on mark, a single OEM green on its own doesnt generate huge amounts of heat, but add up everything in aprojector and there is lot of heat.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Sussex, England
    Posts
    5,248

    Default

    I find the worst culprit is the scanner amps, and on a small baseplate (e.g. compact projector) the heat can travel to where the modules are mounted quite quickly. I guess one option is to separate the amps thermally from the module baseplate.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

    You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

    I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

  9. #49
    swamidog's Avatar
    swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    santa fe, nm
    Posts
    1,545,835

    Default

    i built a double decker system with the psu's and scanner amps on the bottom level and the laser heads on the top.

    it's heavier, but it minimizes the thermal loading on the laser heads.

    Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I find the worst culprit is the scanner amps, and on a small baseplate (e.g. compact projector) the heat can travel to where the modules are mounted quite quickly. I guess one option is to separate the amps thermally from the module baseplate.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Sussex, England
    Posts
    5,248

    Default

    Yep, mine are all double decker too, but with amps on top deck as space generally dictates that on the smaller builds. I was just thinking if it would be worthwhile to create a 'scanner amp island' on the top deck, but then the smaller plate would affect the amp cooling.
    Suck it and see I think.

    Are you happy with the OEM heads, those of you that have them?
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

    You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

    I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •