Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lumia Motor Speed Controller Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    let me know how those work out.
    I am going to try and get a quick and dirty setup going this weeked and shoot some video.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

groovy!

i'm not allowed to touch lasers until my video projects for the museum are done. ;(

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    I am going to try and get a quick and dirty setup going this weeked and shoot some video.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Galvonaut View Post
    Thanks Greg. I'm in the UK and have been struggling to find DC gearbox motors with quoted RPM. They often just have ratios of the gear box which doesn't usually help.
    Glad to help. Seems like the low RPM gearmotors are in the 4XX:1 or 5XX:1 ratios...

No Hankscraft motors on the bay without paying £26 postage

I'm going to keep the search up!
    I know that the Hankscraft motors have been the motor of choice for the laser show business for many years, I too was using these with lumia kits as my standard motor. Since the low RPM Hankscraft motors are becoming rare as hen's teeth, I've started using the Servocity motors for all of my lumia - they are smaller, encased in all metal and work great.

These motors are from Hsiang Neng Motors, part number# HN-35GMB-1640Y(R). This is a 12VDC 1 RPM motor, as the .5 RPM were not available when I ordered a quantity of these direct. Shipping from China was expensive and I wasn't happy about how they were packed, but everything worked and these are the best that I have located to date.

http://www.servocity.com/html/3-12v_gear_motors.html

Here's one of my lumia rigs:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lumia Motor1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	39818

If there's enough interest and you may want to have a group buy for the UK, I can put you in touch with a contact at Hsiang Neng Motors.

Greg
    Last edited by Displaser; 09-05-2013 at 17:28.
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

A group buy is a great idea Greg. I'm being pretty impatient at the moment though as want to get something built within a couple of weeks.

Thank you for your offer of putting me in touch with your contact. If we decide to set up a group buy here, that would be very handy

In the photo of your lumia rig, is there a name for the type of mount you are using?

Keith

... is there a name for the type of mount you are using?
    It's just a simple 'L' bracket. Andy_Con can probably machine you some up on his CNC mill
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    It's just a simple 'L' bracket. Andy_Con can probably machine you some up on his CNC mill
    Thanks, I've a lot to learn

Thanks, I've a lot to learn
    No worries, that's what we're here for. you'll learn loads at the upcoming UKLEM
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

that's a very nice approach to mounting.

Quote Originally Posted by Displaser View Post
    Here's one of my lumia rigs:

Name:	Lumia Motor1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	39818

If there's enough interest and you may want to have a group buy for the UK, I can put you in touch with a contact at Hsiang Neng Motors.

Greg
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

it is a complicated rig, but i could not be happier with the way it works.

Name:	lumia-motors-11.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	39822

Cheers Jem. Yes, the smoothest and slowest I've seen so far are Swamidog's wheels which are belt driven. I was trying to avoid that as I don't have a workshop or many suitable tools - but where there's a will and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    No worries, that's what we're here for. you'll learn loads at the upcoming UKLEM
    Thanks Jem. I am so pleased this community exists - it is such a friendly, helpful and knowledgeable place. I hope I contribute someday too.