Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: NELEM? New England meet?

Well unfortunately if it actually takes place in Jan/Feb I will not be able to attend because fortunately I'm going to have a son by mid-January that will be taking all my remaining little time and money.

Cheers though, take lots of pics and videos!

Jim

This appears to be going forward. We will be bringing 5 people, 3 projectors assorted cabling, computers and road tools. I always look forward to an excuse to get down to Boston and so we will probably arrive on Friday, eat and sleep. We can pull the big van close in to drop off and spend the rest of the day/night...whatever.

Who is bringing what; shows, projectors, sound, fog/haze, expertise etc?

Can't wait!

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I just happend to click on the thread and noticed my name in the list above. I guess it sounds like this is a 1 day event on January 26th somewhere near Boston? I can't make any guarantees at this point. As most of you know, I manage a large banquet and conference center and free weekends for me are very hard to come by. I have 250 people on Friday night and then two back to back on Saturday although both are much smaller - a shower and then a (late) holiday party. I may be able to somehow swing it but, honestly, I don't know. I probably couldn't get on the road until late Friday night and I'm guessing it's about an 8 hour drive. If I DO figure out a way, shows, projectors, hazers, sound reinforcement and everything else isn't a problem and I could bring whatever is necessary. There's at least a dozen RGB's, some beam tables, a few DF-50's, amps, speakers, mixers, snake, hundreds of feet of ILDA cable, splitters, hours upon hours of content... all that crap. It's the "expertise" that might be lacking compared to some of the attendees! LOL And, the dreaded...time. We'll see.

That would be excellent if you could make it, you are correct the current plans are for a Saturday afternoon/evening/night event at MIT the 26th. There is always next year if you cant...

If I plan ahead a little I can bring my fogger and a pair of (little) speakers (at least one for the ~20 size group that I am expecting at this point).

For people looking for a hotel next to MIT, there is the le meredien (http://www.starwoodhotels.com/lemeri...ropertyID=3253 very nice, ~150 a night) and the marriot (http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ott-cambridge/ also very nice, costs about the same, slightly closer), both within easy walking distance of MIT. If you are willing to park on campus (free on weekends in selected lots) then there are probably cheaper rooms in the greater cambridge/boston area but I am not familiar with them. We will be in building 26 (or thereabouts) so the 'building 44/46' lot is probably the best.

Yes, it would be wonderful if you can make it. The equipment would be a nice addition, but because it would be a one day event, I would bring the most important components (quality vs quantity) and so this would be useful to discuss. That way you don't burden yourself with an overwhelming set up.

Regarding expertise, it comes in all forms and its best when its diverse. I have some skills, but with your inventory and the route you took to get there you have a lot of experience. As far as Krazer goes, my wife STILL thinks quantum mechanics is bull s... It has caused some marital stress.

I'm coming! I'll bring my small 5W RGB home-built rig. I can also bring a sound system, a smoke machine, and a 25 X 25 foot mosquito screen for rear projection. Boston is only a 40 minute drive for me.

I'm still in -very much looking forward to it. Unfortunately, I don't have anything to bring (yet) except noob enthusiasm and perhaps the first round at the local watering hole.

I have been in contact with Pangolin and although they will not be attending they have a new feature for Beyond that I will try to demonstrate with a high output/contrast video projector. (more equipment!)

This is going to be one intense day.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

If I spend 12 Hours in a Amtrak train on Friday and 12 Hours back on a Sunday I can possibly go.
    160$ round trip, which is a fraction of the airfare.

How close are Amtrak stations in Bos to MIT?

Is there a cheap hotel?

Can I get to the station at 5 AM in the morning in Boston, with 100% probability of getting there?

Amtrak runs the Lakeshore Line for this...

Steve

This would be great if you could attend. As with Bradfo69 the train sounds like a good solution. Probably should check with krazer on the hotel/ accommodation options.

The more people that participate the more likely that companies like Cambridge will put in an appearance.