Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have: M140 laser need LasOrb Protection, wich model?

Yep I have plenty of M140's and 9mm diodes on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Hi Chad,

Thanks for the info. I'm in the process of acquiring M140s right now. Regarding the 9mm versions, do you know where I can acquire a few to do some testing?

Bill

I think you should read up on laser safety first. These monsters-of-a-diode are not toys

"its called character briggs..."

All the latest Laser diodes are not failing with ESD at all, and anyone trying to sell protection devices for them is a con artist.

Most of the LD manufacturers seam to be migrating to over temp and ESD protection and I understand from a very good friend working in a certain Japanese LD company; "the technology was designed in china where they produce the diodes under license by company X" oh company X has many thousands of world wide employees

So, the technology being adapted for new LDs is developed in china, Not anywhere else that some people would like everyone to believe.

yeah the lasorb is pretty useless for an M-140 diode... just keep it at <1.8Amps and it will do fine

The new M140 diodes DO have inbuilt ESD protection!

However, I'm not sure if any others have followed the lead yet, and the A140's definitely don't.

Hey things, Are you sure? I know that the 9mm new blues do but I was under the impression that the m-140's do not..

Although I would love to be corrected.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Hey things, Are you sure? I know that the 9mm new blues do but I was under the impression that the m-140's do not..
    chad
    I think that's correct. The recent thread on the new diodes is highly informative (be sure to scroll up for the microscope pics):

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...402#post230402

I've got some of these and they seem to be much more efficient. They run a lot cooler than the A140 diodes.

Hi guys,

I just received two M-140 laser diodes from an eBay vendor (before I learned about DTR, however price was the same).

I just tested M-140 without LASORB protection. It's definitely more robust than the older A-140, but not impervious to ESD. I only tested positive ESD so far, but for sure it failed without LASORB.

After blowing one without LASORB, I tested the second one with LASORB and could not blow it. After that, I removed the LASORB and tested the second diode (to make sure it wasn't some kind of magic diode) and it failed just the same.

So -- bottom line, LASORB most definitely affords a level of protection to the M-140 that it doesn't have on its own.

I will contact DTR to get some 9mm laser diodes to test. This might actually be one of the companies licensing LASORB for internal use. Like I said, I don't know since those negotiations are handled by a large intellectual property firm, plus I don't know the name of the company who makes these.

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    The new M140 diodes DO have inbuilt ESD protection!

However, I'm not sure if any others have followed the lead yet, and the A140's definitely don't.
    Hi Things,

We too have a stereo microscope. I certainly don't see any kind of separate protection device on this M-140, and looking at them with a curve tracer, I also don't see anything special going on with this one. The pictures of the 9mm laser diodes looks compelling and we'll have to see what's inside that package.

Bill
    Last edited by Pangolin; 06-23-2012 at 18:31.

Did you check to make sure they actually sold you M140's and not A140's? It should have the dot above the barcode.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Hi guys,
    This might actually be one of the companies licensing LASORB for internal use. Like I said, I don't know since those negotiations are handled by a large intellectual property firm, plus I don't know the name of the company who makes these.
    William Benner you are like usual bending the truth to meet your own needs, if Lasorbs were used on even one single Laser diode, you would have it blasted and marketed that "FACT" all over the net.

haha, the lies continue from this trickster, who does not know because it is handled large intellectual property firm, what lame excuse.