Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have: M140 laser need LasOrb Protection, wich model?

Quote Originally Posted by DTR View Post
    Did you check to make sure they actually sold you M140's and not A140's? It should have the dot above the barcode.
    Hi, thanks for pointing this out. I remember seeing this in a previous post or on Laser Pointer Forums, I can't remember.

Nevertheless, I just checked and for sure, they have the dot. Thanks for looking out for me.

As I wrote, these are definitely more robust. I could blow an A-140 with relative ease, but these took more voltage for positive ESD. HOWEVER, these things might actually be even more sensitive to negative ESD. I need to do more testing.

Quote Originally Posted by andyf97 View Post
    if Lasorbs were used on even one single Laser diode, you would have it blasted and marketed that "FACT" all over the net.
    Great to hear from you again Andy, but I see that you still have sour grapes over us terminating your dealership... It's really too bad that you haven't been able to leave that behind you...

So let me get this straight. You're judging what other companies haven't done based on what you haven't seen in Pangolin's marketing?

To answer your question, there are in fact many companies (top named ones) who use LASORB both in their laser diodes and also laser diode drivers. About once per year, in preparation for the Photonics West tradeshow, we reach out to them and ask them if we can publicize the fact that they are using LASORB. Many say no, because they don't want their competitors to know how they are getting the competitive advantage. (This is one manifestation of "scarcity mentality".) HOWEVER, many companies have indeed authorized us to publish their names, and in LASORB related press releases and news letters (ones which you've apparently missed), they are prominently shown along with their company logos.

(Setting this aside, I wish everyone in the world -- yes including you Andy -- would read the works of Dr. Stephen Covey, and get out of scarcity mentality. It's a real killer...)

haha, the lies continue from this trickster, who does not know because it is handled large intellectual property firm, what lame excuse.
    This, coming from someone who wrote "a certain Japanese LD company" and "company X" in your post above. Without specificity in your own posts, you're not exactly standing on credible grounds yourself here Andy...

For what it's worth, most of our intellectual property is handled by Allen, Dyer, Doppelt, Milbrath & Gilchrist. You can look them up if you're so inclined.

I've gotten out of the day-to-day operations at Pangolin, and I am concentrating on development. For that reason, there are a lot of deals I'm not necessarily aware of. Frankly I don't care as long as clients are happy and the money is rolling in... I can say that LASORB will soon be broken off as its own separate division. For the most part, it mostly runs that way now in fact...

Bill
    Last edited by Pangolin; 06-24-2012 at 00:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Great to hear from you again Andy, but I see that you still have sour grapes over us terminating your dealership... It's really too bad that you haven't been able to leave that behind you...
    HAHAHA, No, Why should I have sour grapes for refusing to support or sell pangolin, Pangolin is no longer a credible or trustworthy supplier... as long as you have anything to do with it. That video you posted a while back shows the real truth bender you are. And what developments are you talking about now!!!!, your buying something else from a developer and marketing it as your own development like usual?.

And I have no interested to give to you 1 mm of assistance to find the sources such as "a certain Japanese LD company" or "company X" just like I have no intention to allow you to lie to people either.

Oh, I was wondering why you and your friends were posting so often new topics on PL, then realized. Its marketing to get your logo all over the place.

Hey, Actually, I don't get why you are spending so much time on PL and other forums if you are sooooo busy in your huge laboratory.

TBH Andy, I am completely sick of reading these little rants of yours about Pangolin... How is this crap contributing positively to PL? Seriously mate, build a bridge....
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    TBH Andy, I am completely sick of reading these little rants of yours about Pangolin... How is this crap contributing positively to PL? Seriously mate, build a bridge....
    The truth is always contributing positively.

OK Folks,

I acquired five pieces of the M140 and also five pieces of these 9mm laser diodes. I needed to leave the office for a meeting, so I didn't have time to do full testing, but this will likely be done this weekend.

Nevertheless, my curiosity about this ESD protector chip in the 9mm diodes got the better of me, so I cut one open, isolated the connection to the protector chip, and then put it on the curve tracer. As far as I can tell, it's just a PN diode, and not a very good one at that.

I did some testing on the curve tracer, and have documented my findings thus far. Over the weekend I'll do more testing and then update the report (so this link will remain a good link).

You can check out the report here:
    http://www.pangolin.com/_Files/9mm_Testing.pdf

Best regards,

William Benner

OK Folks,

We did more testing on the 9mm blue laser diodes and also the new M-140s. The results are in...

For the 9mm blue laser diodes, see my report linked above.

For the M-140s, we made a video showing the results, and you can see the video here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41PYB1b_kLw

I consumed seven pieces of M-140 to do all of the testing, and five pieces of the 9mm blue laser diode.

We could not make a video of the 9mm because I consumed every single one of them that I purchased. They're definitely the strongest of all of the blue diodes, but they are not bulletproof...

Bottom line: LASORB provides very inexpensive insurance for laser systems. Laser Pointer Enthusiasts who don't necessarily require 100% reliability might be able to get away without LASORB (just as there are some people who go without health insurance, life insurance or auto insurance...) but for laser professionals, medical, aerospace and even industrial applications, this cheap insurance can mean the difference between the system working when needed, and...

Best regards,

William Benner

Thanks for testing that for us.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

William Benner you are like usual bending the truth to meet your own needs, if Lasorbs were used on even one single Laser diode, you would have it blasted and marketed that "FACT" all over the net.

haha, the lies continue from this trickster, who does not know because it is handled large intellectual property firm, what lame excuse.
    I think you should should have done more homework before asuming things.

There is a very big change you already own modules with Lasorb build in.

There is a company close to you, I wont tell their name but it starts with a K and ends with VANT, they use Lasorbs

There is another company who is very close to you, I also wont tell their name but it starts with R en ends with GB Lasersystems.

Have a look at attached picture...

regards,

Maurice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5w-640nm.jpg  

Bill,
    Thank you for the testing and the results. That will be useful.

Thanks for the kudos Maurice!!

As I mentioned in a previous post, we had a lot of companies listed with their logos in a past edition of our newsletter. I think it was January of this year. And yes, Kvant and RGB are among them, as are CNI, Laser Wave and many others.

Aside from the names we'd all recognize here in the lightshow business, there are companies we would never have heard of, involved with industrial lasers, medical lasers, and most recently even homeland security (bomb detection) systems using Quantum Cascade Lasers. LASORB has been built directly into pigtail fiber lasers and other similar systems.

Our sales approach is very much of a no-pressure approach. Generally companies contact us because they have a problem with diode lifetimes. We send a few free samples and give them some help. The rest is up to the company, which does their own testing and comes to their own conclusions.

In the case of Kvant, frankly, I didn't have much faith that they would adopt LASORB because at the time they asked us for samples, we learned that they already had their own ESD protection scheme that they had been using for a few years. Many times companies don't have the sophisticated equipment that we do at Pangolin, and so they'll come to the conclusion that their technique is already good enough. Plus, some companies have what's known as NIH ("Not Invented Here") mentality where anything from the outside is automatically deemed to be not as good as things they've developed in-house. Nevertheless, Kvant did their own extensive testing on LASORB and -- afterwards they sent us their report. Their test methodology was really pretty impressive. And after their own testing, clearly they've come to the conclusion that LASORB is worthwhile, and they use it on every single laser system they make.

To me the bottom line is just so simple. LASORB costs a few dollars and it helps to make sure that systems worth thousands of dollars keep working. To me it's a no-brainer ;-)

Bill