Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts Pro's & Con's

Default Thoughts Pro's & Con's

Hi Guys,
    Ive been doing quite a bit of reading on the forums and wanted to get some opinions both pro's & con's about the below RGB laser.
    It's my first RGB purchase & was looking at either DT30K or 40K

http://www.goldenstarlaser.com/srgb5000-p-274.html

Cheers

A.C

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Pros - price, and winnie/goldenstar seems to have a pretty good customer service track record here, and if you're going to do it...go with the DT40 pros.

Cons - price, there is a reason it's so cheap... you just won't find that out until you get it in your hands and can look at it.
    650 red, while pretty, may not prove to give you the best "white" with that much blue and green - nor will it have a great beam profile but, for what it is, my guess is this isn't bad. Probably fine for beam shows and not as nice for graphics so it
    depends on your usage. Come to think of it, if you're just looking at doing beams, then the DT30's are probably fine.

I would go with the SRGB4500, make sure to ask for "3d mirror" upgrade so that you are not bending L brackets to aline the lasers. Make sure you are clear on getting 650nm. Some are 655 and others Ive seen 650 dont know if its a CNI miss labeling might even be the same lasers. You have no way to adj the color balance so the 5000 might be a little green.

remember the red beam is 5*8mm and your scanners are only 3mm so your loosing more than half your red beam....

winni is great tho....I know on the website they have another category with better reds..maybe try looking into those..
    10W RGB
    2x 5W RGB
    2x 3W RGB
    2x 1W Green
    ---------------------------------
    QM.NET, 2x FB3, LivePro, Beyond, APC40,

kgblasers.com

Thanks guys... some great info I was not aware off to look for . @ Picasso do you have any pic's of your SRGB450 you could share ?
    Is there some sort of way to figure out the best mix mw for each laser ? i.e R/500mw 650, G>500mw/532nm B>1000mw 445nm.. Or does it come down to personal choice. So many choice' s !
    Thanks again for the awesome info guys.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I don't recall exactly where but, it's been posted here in several places. Yes, there are suggested ratios of wavelengths to achieve a nice white. Generally, in a less expensive laser, you'll need more red than either the blue or green as they usually use 650. If your software allows, you can often compensate for that by turning down the green or blue but... then the question becomes, why pay for it in the first place if you're just going to turn it down? Buy the right ratios to begin with. It seems to me if I recall, you want about 2.5 times more red if it's 650 than your green. The percentage of blue depends on the wavelength. 1:1:1 of 640, 532 and 445 is pretty damn nice but 640 is going to cost a pretty penny!

Quote Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
    I would go with the SRGB4500, make sure to ask for "3d mirror" upgrade so that you are not bending L brackets to aline the lasers. Make sure you are clear on getting 650nm. Some are 655 and others Ive seen 650 dont know if its a CNI miss labeling might even be the same lasers. You have no way to adj the color balance so the 5000 might be a little green.
    Hey Picasso regarding adj the color balance isn't this done with software ? or do I have it all wrong ? err.. first RGB so I've been trolling these fourms trying to find as much info as possible.
    F.Y.I I was going to go with FSB3 with QS P.S thanks for the 3D mirror & 650nm upgrade tip

The case has changed and is no longer the same as the one in these pics http://shup.com/~picasso/lasers/S-RGB4500/

Another user here had orderd the SRGB5000 and goldenstar said it could not fit the 3D mirrors on that case. So make sure that goldenstar will fit them and not just include them in the box. I also cant say for sure the deal with goldenstar and 655 vs 650. I think its just the same laser...the beams looked the same to me but 5nm is hard to tell.

As for FSB3 I don't think it can do color correction, beyond might have that option. You will need to do a standalone board for that. Few options to pick from for that. Goldenstar might offer such a device by now.

Thanx for the info Picasso. Jotting all this info down before the purchase. Regarding the color correction, can you point me to some more info ?
    Thanks again

I would not worry about color correction. If you still like and play with lasers in a year you can take that road. You will have to take out the internal board that comes with the goldenstar lasers. It does the DMX and pre-programed shows, no major loss removing it. Also don't get the upgraded LCD rear controller...might be default install on new lasers now but its worthless.

I have not used this or any color correction board yet. But it seems from users here most are happy with this http://shop.stanwaxlaser.co.uk/ds3-family-353-p.asp Is also this option http://shop.stanwaxlaser.co.uk/dz-co...oard-252-p.asp with a supporting board.

Don't forget to order ILDA cable from them as its hard to beat the price in just about any country.
    Last edited by Picasso; 06-23-2012 at 22:30.