Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting kickstarter

Default Interesting kickstarter

Looks like Litiholo are up to something interesting.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-from-litiholo

I'm plunking down the cash just to see which green diode they're using.

Hah! You beat me to this I've backed the project as well. I already have the red-only kit and made my first holograms last night! Next up, completely overengineering the whole thing on a breadboard and seeing how fast the film develops when exposed with a 100mW Coherent 315M SLM 532nm DPSS.

I'm considering backing the project as well. I wonder if they're using the laser module out of the Pico Projector. I know the green laser in that is operating in SLM, not so sure about the red and the blue though.

If they are using the module out of the Pico it'll be a nice little unit that already has the beams combined to make white

I've already used some of the polymer film that Litiholo provides, it's really quite nice stuff, and the nice thing is you don't seem to be able to over expose it. I found that the exposure times needed to be quite long though to get a decent image. For anything other than simple Denisyuk's your going to need extremely good stability.

I'm watching this with interest.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

I could get interested in holography if colour becomes possible at home especially if large sizes also become possible later.

Large sizes are really a matter of power, stability, beam quality and exposure time.

The area your beam can cover at a given exposure time goes as the square of the power. The film is 'activated' by deposited energy, so at the same power, for double the area, you need twice as long an exposure. Which is another way of saying that as the radius of your hologram doubles, your exposure time squares. Obviously you need to keep the holographic system stable to within about 1/4 wavelength during this period... which is hard work if you're doing this on your kitchen table.

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    Large sizes are really a matter of power, stability, beam quality and exposure time.
    I couldn't have said it better myself

which is hard work if you're doing this on your kitchen table.
    It's even hard work if you're doing it on an optical table

I've built a permanent Michelson Interferometer onto my table. it's incredibly sensitive (as anyone who's built one will know). If i'm breathing in the same room it will show in fringe movement. All it takes is a movement of ¼ wavelength during the exposure and the hologram either gets dim or is ruined.

Al, if you're interested give me a call and arrange to pop over and i'll show you the sort of stability that's needed even for making 5" x 4" holograms. In fact, you've seen my setup in it's early days and I wouldn't even dream of trying to make 8" x 6" split beam holograms on my table, it's just not stable enough over the required length of time for the exposure. Single beam Denisyuks would be a possibility though

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Thanks for the offer Jem but until poster sized super sharp colour holograms become a reality at home, I'll be holding off on my holgraphy career. It's something that interests me, but only when large scale qaulity becomes a reality.

BTW I should have the Kvant back within the next few weeks.

The Kit will be worth the money; I am in. Phil
    Phil Bergeron( AKA 142laser)

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Thanks for the offer Jem but until poster sized super sharp colour holograms become a reality at home, I'll be holding off on my holgraphy career. It's something that interests me, but only when large scale qaulity becomes a reality.
    It seems unlikely that this will ever happen, modulo some substantial improvements in dye sensitivity and diode laser pulse forming.

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    It seems unlikely that this will ever happen, modulo some substantial improvements in dye sensitivity and diode laser pulse forming.
    I know I'm probably being optomistic. Its just my interest lies in being able to make wall hangable holograms such as those at rabbit holes.

Maybe that's where the future lies, scanning digitally using lasers and creating the image at home then getting them commercially printed if printing costs come down.