Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9mm 445 Nichiam Laser diode

now if only we could get a 3W red diode that wasn't a spot light my life would be complete lol
    Like all addicts just looking for the next high, this is another lie. Remember, your in control, right? First it was the little blue pill then it's the little red pill, now its the bigger blue pill then its the bigger red pill...green.............yellow................?

Nice testing. Just like the previous version of the A140's with the 2W units there have been some really efficient ones found that get to 3W but they are rare. Those seem about average with a G-1. You should try the stock lens. You will see a bit of a bump with them.

Most of the ones I have tested with the stock lens do about 2.7W +/- 100mW @ 2.1A. Another thing worth noting is these do run a lot more stable than the 5.6mm version probably due to the larger base.

I am kind of confused though every one that I have tested was above 5V forward voltage @ 2A and even some around 1.5A. Yours all topped out around 4.8V. Strange.

Here this one @ 2.1A was 5.1V.

Here is one @ 5V with just 1.5A.

This one was @ 2.2A and you can kind of see it was 5.2V

It is just making me wonder why yours came up so low.

It is just making me wonder why yours came up so low.
    It really depends on where you measure the voltage, and the diameter of your wiring.
    Your supply measures the voltage at the terminals. Best practice would be measuring voltage at the diode.
    At 2 amps a voltage drop of 500mV is not so uncommon over 50+50cm of wire.
    The harder you drive a laserdiode the lower the resistance of the diode becomes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resistance vs current.PNG 
Views:	21 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	33434

I'm not saying that this is the rootcause of differences between your results, but resistance of leads should be taken into account.