Thread: 532 Mode Change

Default 532 Mode Change

Hi all, I have a 1.5W green here that seemed at first to be emitting two beams (if you looked orthogonally at the beam, you could see a dark line straight up the middle). It was only after suitable ND filtering that I could see the beam profile, which looked to be TEM01.

The module should be TEM00 - I have two identical modules at the same power that are TEM00, with way less divergence.

Question is, what would cause it?

I thought it may be poor cooling of the laser cavity (there is an obvious beam profile change as the laser warms up over the first 30s), but that still wouldn't explain the divergence...

More info on the laser will help ie who makes it and what model it is
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Sorry, it's a CNI MGL-H 532 1000mW

To be honest, it's a great fat beam for displays, with 1.5x the output it should be, but it just doesn't sit with my other projectors...

split beams or tem01 is very common. these days it luck of the draw if you get a good one or not.
    5 out of the 8 green i have ever owned have been tem01
    its nothing to worry about, and if you do get a good one odds are it will go tem01 at some point in its life thats dpss for ya
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Interesting - Thanks for that info. I thought it may be a pre-cursor to a shortened life (the laser, not mine)