Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 9mm 445 amazing

That's exactly what I was talking about. The stripe is caused by the fact that it is a wide emitter, and you're basically imaging this wide emitter somewhere else (ideally, at infinity), and the only way you can improve on that without using anamorphics is by adding a matte.
    Going to show my ignorance here. What is a matte? Is it just an aperture mask?

The downside of anamorphics is that they decrease your focal depth (er, I mean, increase your beam divergence),
    They decrease your divergence. Right?

but if the cost of a single 9mm 445 plus matte is at the same price point as a dual Nichia 445, with cubes, anamorphics and all of the alignment gribbly-bits, I'd say go for the single 9mm. Easier to set up, more compact, and less that could go wrong.
    I agree wholeheartedly. I even think the 9mm set like this would be cheaper, but I don't think the 9mm diode are substantially more powerful than the m series 445's.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Going to show my ignorance here. What is a matte? Is it just an aperture mask?
    Matte = (aperture) mask, yes.

They decrease your divergence. Right?
    Either they're going to make the beam less wide and more divergent, or the other way round. The laws of physics forbid us to make some magical solution that makes a beam more narrow AND less divergent. Unless you mask it and just trhow part of the beam away, and so basically only image a part of the emitter somewhere else.

That's also the reason that anamorphic lenses are not a cinematographer's or projectionist's friend: Since they change the aspect ratio of your image, you're going to lose a lot of focal depth near the short side's edges.

Hello, I am new to PL and have a simple question, which appears to be in line with this thread. How to efficiently and economically couple light from a 9mm 445 nm LD into a 1.6 mm diameter fiber bundle, which consists of 100-micron 0.22 NA fibers. The acceptance angles are +/-12 degrees and the size of the acceptance spot, again, is 1.6 mm diameter? The fiber bundle can be located at the distances from 2 0mm to 200 mm from the LD. Common lenses that are commercially available in M9x0.5 cylinders produce rectangular rather than round spots. 2-3 W 445 nm LD emits rectangular beam. More than 50% of its optical power is lost at coupling. I guess, a cylinder lens can correct and increase the coupling efficiency. Is such lens, or combination of lenses commercially available in M9x0.5 cylinder? Or in other sizes of cylinders?

Hi,
    Does anyone have any comparisons between the 5.6mm M140 445nm and the 9mm 445mn for cutting and beam focus point size?

I am running an M140 with a G2 lens at the moment for cutting and engraving and was wondering what advantages there would be going to the 9mm?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anachronicman View Post
    Hi,
    Does anyone have any comparisons between the 5.6mm M140 445nm and the 9mm 445mn for cutting and beam focus point size?

I am running an M140 with a G2 lens at the moment for cutting and engraving and was wondering what advantages there would be going to the 9mm?

thanks
    ... I'm using them both with identical optics for engraving on my CNC-mill - the spot size is nearly the same ... in 40mm focal distance I'm measuring spot diameters or engraved line-widths of around 0.05mm. The main difference is the power ;-)

When testing with XY-galvoscanning with maybe 150mm focal distance, I've got a 'square' spot with roughly 0.4x0.1mm size ... this could be better when expanding the beam before focussing to 20mm or bigger, but then you'll need scanning mirrors for this size too ...

Viktor

Thanks for the info Viktor.
    When you say the main difference is in the power, do you mean the 9mm has more cutting / engraving power?
    I have not been exceeding 1.8amps on my 5.6mm M140's. What currents are you running your 9mm' and 5.6mm's at?

... 1.8 Amps could be too much for the M140!

Do you have the datasheets with the max. values?

I have two types of the 5.6mm-diodes - one 1W-type with 1Amp max., the other is a 1.5W-type with 1.2Amps max.

My 9mm-diodes are 2.5W-types with 2.25Amps max.

You can exceed the max. current by some ten percents with really good cooling, but then you'll degrade the diode and shorten the lifespan drastically ...

Viktor

POSTING TO SUB..............
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-