Thread: Smoke machines for home / business security?

Default Smoke machines for home / business security?

Sorry not a light source but I am guessing some of you know the answer about this. Has anyone used these? do they stay warmed up all the time (using power) or do they work off some kind of chemical release and mix reaction. If they are just fluid based (which I found one that for sure is) then where can you get these devices cheaper that can be low voltage triggered for use with a security system

http://www.smokemachines.net/buy-sec...-systems.shtml

http://www.smokecloak.com/en/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD6KwdVg6f0

http://www.smoke-screen.co.uk/

Most of the security ones are mineral oil based. The fluid/tip is heated super fast with with high amps, and the fluid is put in at high pressure. I havnt seen any that use air or co2 to clear the tip after. So I'd guess a few uses and you have clogged it.

Give Ben at www.smokemachines.netA call.

I just bought a mineral oil/ CO2 bases Phanton smoke machine from him.

They have handheld smoke machines too which are no doubt low voltage.

What Ben doesn't know about smoke machines isn't worth knowing.
    Also he is a hell of a nice bloke with fantastic service.

Good luck
    Kit

hi everyone, I happened across one of our links on your forum and would like to answer your questions about smoke machines if I may. No sales or marketing spiel, just information.

Firstly, there are two types of smoke machine: those that use mineral oil based fluid and those that use a water based fluid (food grade glycol mixed with distilled water). Mineral oil based fluid is used for the following and is effective for use outdoors: special effects, fire training (buildings, submarines, tunnels etc) and leak testing. Water based machines are specific for indoor use and are primarily implemented as a security measure. Both variants use the same method of smoke production – basically the fluid is pumped through a heater block where it vaporises and then condenses as fog as it leaves the nozzle and hits the air.

Due to their function as a security device, the water based machines are always switched on to maintain block temperature, consuming on average 60 – 90 Watts.

There have been instances of one particular model of machine clogging up in the past. A rather unique design flaw. The problem lay with a non-return valve positioned too close to the heater block (this part of the machine is heavily insulated, although some residual heat is still generated). As the machine remained inactive, the glycol part of the fluid that sat in the valve itself slowly crystallised, eventually seizing the mechanism. Once the valve was relocated, the problem stopped. In general smoke machines don’t clog up; regular maintenance is still recommended, as with any electrical / mechanical device really.

Hope that helps. If you wish to know anything else, just let me know.
    Dylan Hollick, Concept Smoke Screen

I got a dumb question.. or two. Who uses smoke machines for security reasons and why? I can see posibly using them to confuse an intruder who has tripped a sensor and is trying to get out, but that seems a bit much to my untrained thoughts.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Hi Aaron, they're not dumb questions at all, logical in fact.

Lots of places use smoke machines for security, for instance it is currently in use protecting pharmaceuticals, jewellery, cash, cigarettes, alcohol, perfume, computer equipment, artworks, designer clothes, motorcycle accessories, ipads, etc.

Why? is perhaps the best question!

When smoke goes off there is a confrontation as well as a surprise element. It quickly becomes impossible to see anything and it is disorienting. This all combines to lessen the amount of time available, and time is key to intruders. Most trip the smoke and instantly run.

Being in a room full of smoke is an odd sensation, you can barely see your hand in front of your face, complete white out. Noises are distorted. The door that's been in the same place for ever, appears to have moved. Finding anything is hopeless.

You can also intensify this effect using a strobe light! And a really loud siren. Sit on the corner and cry time. If you can find the corner that is

Seriously though, smoke machines are used solely to repel robbers, not to trap them.
    Dylan Hollick, Concept Smoke Screen

Becuase in a day and age where police response is slow it is great to have something that will either scare away an intruder or slow them down so they cannot be as fast as they normally are stealing things.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    I got a dumb question.. or two. Who uses smoke machines for security reasons and why? I can see posibly using them to confuse an intruder who has tripped a sensor and is trying to get out, but that seems a bit much to my untrained thoughts.