Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Specs new toy

Default Specs new toy

Check this out !!!!!

Yep more 25mW of violet/purple to play with

Ask Spec where you can get yours today !!!
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

BOOOOO!!! HISSSSS!!! BOOOOO!!! :lol: I want... two of them... Did you get to keep one?
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Awesome !!!! Have you guys tried it out mixing other colors? I bet it will give some spooky combo's with a little red and green :idea: Can't wait to see the current turned up. Great job!!!
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

where did you get that ?
    Is that OEM, ore a ps3 mod pen

and... why is it violet, and dont blue ?

let me know $$ and then send me one

Filip;

It's a 405 nm diode. 405 nm is violet, not blue. (Actually it's almost ultra-violet...)

Can't imagine how much they paid for the diode though. I'll bet several hundred bucks at least. (Marconi said they wouldn't be cheap...)

Adam

Heya there.

allthatwhichis: They are cute, I am glad to have worked on and assembled the first in the nation. Rather proud of that fact. All that aside, it would have been completely impossible without marconi and his insanely good electronics background and ultra steady soldering hand. You say you want *two* of thm ehh? Could make two for slightly cheaper than a single "Sonar". More power and better beam(as far as i can tell) to boot. Did I get to keep one: well of course.

Mech: Its actually quite neat and no I havent tried mixing with outer colors, I'm still in the "amazed at handiwork" phase. As far as turning the current up: bad bad idea. These things smoke quick. We lost quite a chunk of cash before getting something that worked at all. Even with an ESD safe workplace the diodes kept smoking. Terrible stuff really. These are painfully sensitive.

liteglow: Gutted out of a blu-ray burner. It *ABSOLUTELY HAS* to be an *industrial* blu ray burner($850 ish for the drives). The read only diodes are barely 5mW and have less than 10mA of slack after threshold, they are not even worth messing with. We tried. Making the circuit was a nightmare to say the least. As far as price: $1250 shipped to Norway, will take about 5 days to work the magic needed to create one of these. This is nothing like a red diode.

Buffo: Yep, 405nM deep violet. Its a black light. The beam is visible though: very amazing. As far as diode prices go... Yea, no joke, these things even gutted are not cheap *and* they die if you even think about making a mistake on a test bench. The diodes even after all the magic are still more static sensitive than your run of the mill red laser and thats saying a lot.

I'm just proud to say it was made... kinda in my back yard... or close to my back yard... Next time ya'll plan something like this let me know... I'll drive over and buy pizza...

Just to let everyone know..

These pictures were shot with a Canon Pro1 in natural light in automatic settings..
    no long exposures required...
    Obviously we had to use ACDCee (like photoshop) to make them more violet ( as we observed)
    because the camera makes them seem blue !!!

And yes... you can actually see the beam at night., No Joke
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

Couple more pictures:

Over 17000 people have viewed this beast... So when does production begin? :roll: