Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Specs new toy

Would you pay well over a grand to own one? I wouldn't. Given that you need the diode from an HD-DVD burner in order to make one, and that those units are selling for around $850, I'd say that the production costs are pretty foul.

Even if they found a direct source for the bare diodes, I'll wager that they'll still cost upwards of $650 a piece (just for the diode) in quantities of less than 500. So you're still talking about some serious cash for just 20 mw of violet that you really can't see all that well anyway. (And don't forget how fragile the diodes are... If they kill 1 out of ever 5 or 6 that they make, that adds to the cost.)

It's a cool toy for sure, but I can't afford one.

Adam

O no, I'd never pay that much. It'd be cool to add a lil flourecent to the projector. Put it on a white sheet like... was it astroguy did for holloween? It took me about a hald dozen view to see what he did by keeping the projector inside the garage and projecting "out" of it onto the sheet. Varience free outdoor show. But the violet on the white sheet... that'd be and interesting addition to the "normal" show.

There's... someone on eBay selling a "violet" diode from an hd drive. I showed the listing to spec who tore it apart. I started asking a few questions today to see if I can get the seller to slip up. He has it and the rest of the pieces of the drive photographed on a piece of paper. Isn't paper a little too static attractive to be placing ESD sensitive items like this on? :roll:

Who can beat a 405nm diode with ALL the components to make your own violet/black light laser pointer. $250 starting bid... :roll: I'll be impressed if it lasts the whole auction period before eBay yanks it. Well, one can hope. :twisted:

Dunno there... His buying history suggests that he might be legit. He's got good feedback, and while the notebook paper might not be the best thing to put the diode on, he still has the original ribbon wires hooked up. If he was smart he also wrapped some small gauge (28 or better) wire around the pins. If not, then I'd be worried about static damage.

If he's willing to offer a money back guarentee it might be safe. I would want to talk to him on the phone first. But at that high of a starting price he should be selling a diode from a BURNER, not just a reader. (According to Spec, the reader diodes are only good for a few mw before they fry, so there's really no point in getting one.) You need a diode from a burner if you want to get 20 mw, but those are worth a lot more than $250... So I don't quite know how to take this one.

In any case, I doubt E-bay will yank it. They only pull auctions if you report someone.

Adam

Yea, you're probably right about it getting pulled. I actually wonder if it's a real 405nm diode. HE said he has tested it but diesn't know the specs OR the pin outs... :? And he's a laser physicist... :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo
    Would you pay well over a grand to own one? I wouldn't. Given that you need the diode from an HD-DVD burner in order to make one, and that those units are selling for around $850, I'd say that the production costs are pretty foul.

Even if they found a direct source for the bare diodes, I'll wager that they'll still cost upwards of $650 a piece (just for the diode) in quantities of less than 500. So you're still talking about some serious cash for just 20 mw of violet that you really can't see all that well anyway. (And don't forget how fragile the diodes are... If they kill 1 out of ever 5 or 6 that they make, that adds to the cost.)

It's a cool toy for sure, but I can't afford one.

Adam
    I asked the price once for bare violet diodes. This was the answer
    PRICE
    Currently unit prices for the minimum shipping quantity ( 1 piece) are as
    follows:

- Violet 405 nm
    NDHV310APC (30-60mW) : JPY250000/each
    NDHV220APAE1 (Transverse multi-mode 200mW, engineering sample) :
    JPY300000/each

- Blue 445 nm
    NDHB510APAE1 (50mW, engineering sample) : JPY350000/each

- Aqua Marine 473 nm
    NDHA210APAE1 (20mW, engineering sample) : JPY350000/each

- UV 375 nm
    NDHU110APAE3 (20mW, engineering sample) : JPY350000/each

Damn... 26K huh? Just slightly more than my car... :roll: I guess a blue-ray drive is a cup in the bucket.

I'm a little upset 473 isn't "blue" though. I want my money back. :P I wonder what 445 looks like. I though the 488 of my argon look blue before I got the dpss.

350k Jap Yen is only $3k.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo
    350k Jap Yen is only $3k.

Jim
    Only?

Its 23k cheaper than 26k though :lol

Jim

Still too rich for my blood!