Thread: Looking for format 4 and 2 .ILD files.

Default Looking for format 4 and 2 .ILD files.

I am working on some software and would like to test it with a variety of frames. I am looking for 2 different types of ILD files. Format 4 (3D frames with true color) and Format 0 or 1 with a format 2 color pallet (3D or 2D frames with a user specified color pallet.) I went through quite a bit of the FTP server and didn't find any.

If you don't know what I am talking about, don't worry about it.

Thanks,
    Jacob
    Last edited by jacob32123; 07-18-2012 at 09:18.

Spaghetti will generate those formats but not color palettes. I don't think palettes are necessary anymore with formats 4 and 5. Some beg to differ. So, if you have Spaghetti you can generate all you want. If you want free, I think LaserBoy will generate all of the above including palettes. Format 0,1 and 4,5 are identical except that instead of pointing to a color index 4 & 5 contain the RGB value. For fun, you should look into Format 3 and contact James Lehman for details. hehe.

LaserBoy generated a Format 1 with a palette. Thanks!
    Last edited by jacob32123; 07-18-2012 at 14:41. Reason: typo

One of the advantages of using palettes is that you can change all of the colors in a potentially large frame set in one and only one place. You don't have to go through every frame and do a color for color replacement.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

That's a good point if you are doing things for corporations that use certain colors and you want to be able to tweak the colors. But, modern drawing software would provide better options.

Palettes exist for very good reasons. The GIF file format is palette only. Another really neat and useful thing you can do with palettes is define different palette indices to be the same RGB values. For whatever reason you might find this useful, you can change all the values and not lose the differentiation. You can also do neat animation effects like palette color cycling. The notion that palettes are old fashioned or out dated is just plain ignorant.

Any decent image editor will be able to import and export bmp, gif, png, tif and others. All of these image formats can have palettes. If the image editor can't let you view and manipulate the palettes and convert back and forth from true color, it isn't worth much.
    Last edited by james; 07-21-2012 at 18:09.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.