Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reporting Illegal Lasers/Laser shows

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    PS - Here's some illegally-operating *'s that are now squarely on the radar of AZRRA.. http://epiclasers.com ...Friggin jerks.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvrOTzctdjw ..Hopefully, AZRRA will give them the titanium Clue x4 they clearly-need.. (PS... you're welcome, Karl.. )

The High-Road is well-worth the climb..
    j

They should change to Epic Fail instead of Epic Lasers
    2x 1W RGB(DT40 PRO)
    1x 4W RGB, Full diode (DT40 WIDE)
    2x 1W, 532nm(DT40 WIDE)
    1x ALC68 ArgonGasser with 8ch, PCAOM
    5xFB3SE, BEYOND

In progress, 2x 2,5w RGB

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by ragerlazer View Post
    So I'm still losing shows to this guy. Apparently he's now taking the lasers out from his club, and putting them on 'shows' or other gigs for promoters who want lasers. No variance, imported Big Dipper lasers which are (from what I know) red flagged by the CDRH.

I've done the whole submit a complaint thing on the website, another user here gave me the email to a guy who works in laser safety at the FDA/CDRH but haven't heard anything. It's hurting my business on what I do legally, I keep getting "well xyz can shine his lasers at the audience" and I'm getting low balled in pricing as well.

I really feel like calling the 1-800 number for criminal activity and see if they'll do anything to help me. Am I out of line, or is it time to go hard, put my foot down and get this stopped?
    Once you report, they will NOT contact you with the results, its that "Ongoing Criminal Investigation" rule thingie.

You just keep Googling the FDA Dockets and see when the Notice of Liability or Warning Letters go out.

Remember, the other side may get 30 days to reply. Unless there is a immediate hazard, the wheels turn slowly.

Best you can do.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ragerlazer View Post
    I really feel like calling the 1-800 number for criminal activity and see if they'll do anything to help me. Am I out of line, or is it time to go hard, put my foot down and get this stopped?
    I don't think you're out of line at all, as I'm having the same thing happen here in Tampa. I recently had a guy from St Pete leave a phone message introducing himself and wanting to get with me to share business (he said he just bought a 10 watt laser online). I haven't contacted him back yet, but probably will just to do some investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Remember, the other side may get 30 days to reply. Unless there is a immediate hazard, the wheels turn slowly.

Best you can do.

Steve
    Please tell me more, how does, for example, an announcement of the so-called "Show co." of one of their upcoming shows, and you reporting it beforehand, NOT constitute an immediate hazard?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

How?, the same amendments to the constitution protect them, that protect you.
    A violation usually has to be observed. Sad, but true...

Now, if some one is doing audience scanning with a KTP, that is going to get attention, if you word the call correctly and stay persistant.

Steve

They have a facebook as well.. http://www.facebook.com/epiclasers

wow.. Not even a good video..fog is all patchy and crap too...
    - instinct

What the heck do you do if someone is doing public laser shows with an illegal laser? I got the x-beam to enhance my show, yet I have found another lighting guy who has been doing shows at the same venues and I suspect his laser might not be variance approved. I've also seen videos from other shows with lasers pointed into the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by brinnswf View Post
    What the heck do you do if someone is doing public laser shows with an illegal laser? I got the x-beam to enhance my show, yet I have found another lighting guy who has been doing shows at the same venues and I suspect his laser might not be variance approved. I've also seen videos from other shows with lasers pointed into the crowd.
    You could approach him in a non-threatening way and tell him what he's doing is illegal and dangerous, possibly talk laser safety with him. Also, you might want to notify the venue owner and tell them what he's doing is illegal and explain how they're opening themselves up for a huge liability suit if someone gets injured. If the big L word doesn't motivate them to put this guy in check, you could go to the fire marshal next time he performs, though you risk having the venue shut down (not that that would be bad if they're willing to let this guy keep frying eyeballs). Of course, an anonymous tip off to the CDRH doesn't hurt if he doesn't mend his ways.

Yeah, I just moved back so gonna try not to start off on the wrong foot. I think just getting the venue manager on my side will probably be the best option. Thanks for the input!
    Last edited by brinnswf; 10-04-2012 at 17:04.

Alright another hypothetical question, what if he says that he doesn't audience scan and just shoots it above peoples head so nobody is in harms way. Is there any significant danger I can point out even if audience scanning is not involved?