Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reporting Illegal Lasers/Laser shows

Default Reporting Illegal Lasers/Laser shows

There's a few clubs around that I have been to, which have (blatant) illegal lasers pointing at the dance floor, and some are even hung 5-6' off the dance floor so they're directly in the eye. How do you go by in reporting, or even letting the FDA know to send them a "you shouldn't do that" letter? Advice on what to do? I'm sure most club goers think it's fun but it's definitely illegal - especially since I do have a laser business and work in some of these clubs, and my lasers are rigged in a manner to prevent my beams from getting into the eyes of patrons. I've read what the FDA can do (seize, destroy equipment (if illegal), issue fines) but don't see them step into action - any way of letting them know that these places are doing things that are illegal, probably hold no variance, have equipment that is red listed in the USA, etc? I'm tired of getting the question "Why can't your lasers scan the audience? So-and-so's at XYZ venue do!"

Your leads are appreciated. I'm not trying to be the neighborhood snitch, but hey - if it's illegal then it should be reported.

EDIT: sorry if this isn't in the right thread column. There's no "here's how to report illegal laser shows" thread anywhere.

Ask the club to see the variance, should be on the products outer case.

or just send a note to http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/CriminalInv...ns/default.htm contact numbers here http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/CriminalInv.../ucm123034.htm

I had a walk-through with a client a few weeks ago, and they're Big Dipper 1w and 2w RGB units. From what I know, Big Dipper is red-flagged in the US. I did ask the owner about a variance as the promoter I am working with wanted to use the clubs laser system as well. He had no clue as to what a variance was - I didn't bother explaining.

Unfortunately, these days wth the on slaught with Chinese imported junk, alot of people are legitimitely oblivious to the laws here for Laser equipment. If you can go online to "General Tsos Chicken, Lasers and Waffles" and order a 5 Watt RGB for $500 and get a side of crap rangoon- its kind of hard to expect people to know the safety and legalities associated with Lasers.

I/we would encourage you to educate these places as to the dangers and legalities with Lasers. You would be surprised that most (not all- but most) venue owners/managers/promoters and what have you's will be very open to changing their practices once they know that their asses are on the line when/if they get caught doing shit they shouldnt be doing. And, like i said before- alot of these guys honestly have no idea and will probably just say, "Oh shit- i didn know that. I will move it tonight"

For A**holes that find the laws and/or safety proactices laghable and ignore you, Then at that point I would start an open line of communication with the CDRH. The CDRH *WANTS* to know about illegal and unsafe Laser practices. WE need to police ourselves (to a point) and keep our profession safe. You said you run your own Laser co. in Cali. These places running illegal and unsafe shows will only harm your business sooner or later.

My biggest complaint is with the unsafe practices. The illegal imports will NEVER be stopped. Too many people in too many areas just dont care and Laserists ourselves are supporting the cheap chinese crap coming in (im guilty of it myself as is EVERY SINGLE PRO MEMBER HERE!!! (how many of you have accession numbers for that chinese $5000 less than Coherent 5W green laser huh!?!?!? ) Anyway- its the unsafe and dangerous practices i have serious issues with!! THIS is where we ALL need to stand up and not tolerate the, "Well- I'll let someone else worry about it" mentality.

By the way, welcome to PL! Glad to have you here!

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

We need some form letter that users can download print and send out or email to clubs when people report abuse. CDRH have anything like that? Some single page that attempts to educate owners on the laws in the US.

That would be incredibly handy - where we could show them 'Hey, this is what the FDA says you can and cannot do. Here are the consequences.' If things don't shape up, then file a report.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Find a CDRH or former BRH booklet entitled "Laser Show Safety, Who is Responsible." or something like that. Its written for venue staff, in clear language.

Here is a cruddy, outdated, on line copy, I have a color one at home some place. Used to get mailed to you with the vari paperwork pack.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...lRrB0A&cad=rja

Probably can get a stack of them from the US Government Printing Office (Does it still exist?) for cheap.

Maybe ILDA can get them to update the file.

Not that it matters... I'm still waiting for a venue to get sued over a laser injury, but that has not been "seen" yet. I pray it never happens, but as Wattages go up, eventually it may. Funny thing, you know there is probably no real nation wide reporting mechanism for laser injuries.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 07-26-2012 at 10:15.

I noticed the last time that pamphlet was updated was in 86. They have to shorten and modernize it before anyone will read or take it seriously.

I think another area where illegal lasers and use (mostly crowd scanning) will become a problem is in the mobile DJ community at school dances. Youtube is full of videos with lasers scanning the audiences, and as already mentioned Chinese lasers are easy to get.

I have a copy (er, PDF) of the pamphlet and it looks like it was copied and then made into a PDF. Although dated, it's still the standards (I'm assuming) but worded really easily and in plain english, no run-around verbage or vocab. Should be updated, and if there were color copies available I have a few people who could use them. I understand the FDA wants to know of illegal laser shows/sale of illegal lasers but they should have something a bit easier for us to use in letting them know about them, than just a generic "email us" type system. If it's so illegal, why not make it easier for those who do this legally, to let them know of those doing it the run-around way?

ragerlazer- I think that issue is being addressed at this time, however the wheels of Govt turn very slowly.