Thread: Help make a power supply for a popelscan DAC 5 volt blankin

Default Help make a power supply for a popelscan DAC 5 volt blankin

Help...

I got my popelscan DAC from jgree_83, YAY! But he gave me a power supply for the blanking that has a plug that is curiously... wrong... The plug is bent or something... :P so I am trying to find an alternative. Yes I know that's the way they are down and over there... I was BSin... It still won't fit into the plug in my wall...

My first question is,

Is there a bog difference between 4.9 volts at 450mA and 5.2 volts at 320mA?

4.9*450=2205

5.2*320=1664

other questions to follow... ops: :?
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Allthat,

Glad to hear the DAC got there eventually. That 5V power supply isn't bent, thats how Australian plugs are. All you need is a Universal Power adaptor. This will allow you to plug in the 5V supply to your wall outlet. It can operarte form 100-240V at 50-60Hz.

J

Bah... have to get one off eBay the way things are around where I live... Maybe Radioshack'll have em... They don't open for atleast an hour. I did find out the fan controller on a motherboard has a 5 volt, 175mA plug. It's even easy to get the plug to fit right on it, same type connector. :roll: I won't try it... I'll try to find the adapter. Unless that'll work..? :idea: The projector only needs to run when there is a PC on. It's where I plan to run the software from. :?

Bah... have to get one off eBay the way things are around where I live... Maybe Radioshack'll have em
    Wow your joking, right? Don't you know about SkyCraft parts and surplus??? Only the best electronics gold mine in Florida! Heck, I've found everything from G-120's to Spectra Physics 124 HeNe's to CO2 lasers in there! They usually have just about everything! Its right in Maitland. Take I-4 towards Altamonte Springs and exit on Fairbanks. Look for the building with the flying saucer!

David

I have seen them on eBay and...heh, they're located 2 exits up I4 from where I work. I been meaning to go by there, but I live so far north and work nights... I used to pass the building on my way to Full Sail everyday when i was in college there...

Thanks Dave!!!

Wait, are they going to have the AU to US plug adapter or a 5 volt 200 to 400mA plug that is for a US outlet?

I called Radioshack and they don't have anything that'll work. John suggested my local mall, but Radioshack is the only place in the mall that might have it... the AU to US plug. Would Sears have something like that?

Someone suggested I take apart a 2 wire plug and wrap the terminals of the AU adapter with the striped wires from a plain ole plug, slap some black tape on it and wholla, an adapter... 8) That's my kind of advice, but I got hit by 277 once and it HURT, BAD... Not enough to send me home for the day, but I did come out of the ceiling and take an hour or so break... :roll:

Wait, are they going to have the AU to US plug adapter or a 5 volt 200 to 400mA plug that is for a US outlet?
    They will have the 5V .5 amp supply you need I'm sure. Last time I was there they had an entire isle of the "wall warts." You will probably get it for pretty cheap too. Certainly alot cheaper than radio shack. Last time I was in radio shack resistors were $1.29 for a 5 pack! If you wanna save a few bucks on electronic parts, go to either Sky Craft, www.mouser.com or www.jameco.com. In that order!

But thats just my opinion :roll:

David

Your opinion make much cents... for my wallet!!! I just never seem to be close to there when it's open. I could, well it's a few miles, but if I was a more motivated person, I could walk there. But I'm not. I may try to run by tomorrow. :roll:

I ended up taking a 2 wire power cord from a set of those string lights and putting a slit with a razor knife in each wire about 6 to 8 inches apart and parallel to the length of the wires. They are just big enough for the terminal of the plug to slide into, kinda like an outlet. I then wrapped the plug and wire outlet up in tape so neither terminal can slide around. Works perfect. Now I have a 50mW Blue projector since my red AND green lasers died... :cry: :roll: