Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fighting with lasever

Okay this is weird. Lasever said the heatsink was not properly attached to the driver, that was the cause of the problems.
    But their first driver i got wich worked well on 5v became hot on the heatsink....
    I hope they actually tested the driver...
    You are unique! Just like everyone else...
    Mum: What do you want for breakfast? Me: Lasers Ofcource!

Aaaaaaand the test results are in.
    Climbs to 600mW in about 20 secs then start to drop(it should have climbed to 1200mW). After a minute the driver began smoking so i pulled the power. Heatsink was in a just-able-to-touch state.

Can you post pictures of your exact test setup, and include details of the methods/stages you are going through, right from the point of setting the voltage on the PSU?
    Are you using your own PSU, or one they supplied? It is DC, right?
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

ah yes the pictures
    www.gdteam.net/IMG_5586.JPG
    www.gdteam.net/IMG_5587.JPG
    www.gdteam.net/IMG_5591.JPG

okay il try to give some more details.
    During the story i now tell, i never connected the wires wrongly. i triple checked that every time again and during failure again.(well maybe wrongly, but then its wrong because lasever told me wrong)
    Simple how i setup the wires. The big driver got a red and black wire, wich are the modulation wires....those are connected back to the power imput of the driver so the modulation receives 5-6v at all the tests. lasever said 5-6v is fine for modulation and has no damaging results. The modulation reads 5v desame as 6v. The first psu i had was from lasever themselfs, for a other 532nm unit i got. but also puts out DC ofcource. tested with my DMM.
    Second psu is also from lasever...

So when i first received the laser i runned it on 5V. because their last 532nm unit was 5v as well. It ran fine without burns....but only reached a max of 800mW and had a avarage of 700mW. Unacceptable for a 1200mW unit ofcource.
    So then i contacted lasever, and they clearly said it needed 6v, for more then once. i already had a "HUH?" thought so i asked them again and they confirmed it needed 6v.
    So i turned up the voltage on the psu with the knob. It only could reach 5.5V max, so i asked lasever if that was ok. He asked what the laser did on that voltage, so i decided to test the laser again.
    It climbed to about 1100mW so i was really happy until at 1100mW power began to drop fast, and the fans where also suddenly making less speed. at least i think that because the fan sounds where getting lower.
    Then after half a minute of dropping the power, the driver gave smoke so i immediatly pulled the power. Checked the wires, they were ok connected. So contacted lasever....They said they would ship a new driver and PSU wich could deliver a 6V. After i received that, the max power of the PSU was 5.5v. Not 6V like they where sure of.
    But i decided to test the unit again, and exactly desame happened, it only burned faster now.
    After alot of silly debatings like "its not mounted on a plate", "maybe you dropped solder in the driver", "maybe you accidently dropped metal piece in it", lasever said i needed to ship back both drivers and the psu.
    So i did, and today i got the new replacement driver and psu. the psu was set for 5.7V when i tested it. Well and here i can quote myself...
    Aaaaaaand the test results are in.
    Climbs to 600mW in about 20 secs then start to drop(it should have climbed to 1200mW). After a minute the driver began smoking so i pulled the power. Heatsink was in a just-able-to-touch state.

Ok, thanks

They said they would ship a new driver and PSU wich could deliver a 6V. After i received that, the max power of the PSU was 5.5v. Not 6V like they where sure of.
    This part concerns me as in my experience, DPSS lasers have the head and driver matched when they are set up.
    I'm not sure how they could send you just a driver to go with your existing head, unless they have some records of exactly what voltages the diode and peltiers require in your head.

I'm assuming they are actually testing the drivers before sending them to you, so they have them working ok, you are blowing them up.
    This suggests to me that there may be something wrong with the head.
    It is the only part that they haven't tested, and I'm fairly sure they wouldn't send you untested drivers (it makes no commercial sense for them to keep sending you stuff, nor to keep having a dissatisfied customer)
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

My fault! Their driver wich i got today didnt smoke. The wire isolation did. I now use pure thick copper cables and the driver does not burn. But i am not happy....
    Tested the unit on 5v....the unit gives 497mW max after a climb wich took about 1 minute. Gets fairly stable but the psu, driver and cables to driver and to laser head all gets hot after 1-2 minutes so i dont test it more then this.
    Cables where ok to touch but hot. Heatsink of driver was untouchable already after Like 90 secs.
    I hope should it ever work that the heatsink of the driver can loose enough heat into my 10mm thick aluminium baseplate...right now i dont think the laser can run more then 4 minutes without getting unstable and die.
    Then tested on 5,5v and 6v with same results. Probaly gets to 600mw from a total cool start.

Sounds to me like the guage wire you are using is way too small which is why they are getting hot and in turn your driver is probably having major problems regulating due too a lack of current. Sure way too kill drivers..

You got that^^ read the post above you. Anyway the wires i now use are pure thick copper.

Maybe i need to use even bigger to make it go up in mw or is that silly?
    I do not have thicker at home...i already use 1mm thick copper with solid core wich does not include the isolation around it.

Edit:

Another update. The psu cannot handle 6v i think. While it was set for 5,9v at first, when the psu needs to put this on the driver, it cannot get to the 5,9v. It slowly climbs to 4,8v and doesnt get higher.then i disconnect the cables from the psu(that go to driver), it has no problem maintaining 5,9v.
    This is probaly the reason why it cant get to a high output.
    But probaly it will also get even hotter when it could reach 6v...probaly burn the driver...
    Last edited by borgqueenx; 08-17-2012 at 06:17.

Having gone back and looked at the pictures of your setup I would say your 5V PSU supplying the driver may not be up to the task. What is the rated output of the PSU and what is required by the driver? I’m just guessing at your requirements which may be around at least 10A. Pushing the 5V PSU to 6V will also probably decrease current output by about 20% further worsening your dilemma.

PS. It would be amazing if Lasever were capable of sending a driver pre tuned to just be able to interchange like that. Driver and head are tuned as a unit and are in general not interchangeable like that. That’s like playing in the lottery, chances are slim to none.
    Last edited by Solarfire; 08-17-2012 at 07:36.

It can supply 5v 16a, no idea how much the laser uses.