Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Strobes: Xenon vs LED

Default Strobes: Xenon vs LED

Hey guys, Halloween is a few months away and I am in need of 3 ~ 4 strobes (simulated lightning). I was going to get some DMX ones and run them from LD2000. When I search for DMX strobes, all I seem to find are LED strobes. I don't have a problem with them per se, but they are large and bulky looking. I imagine they need to be that large (banks upon banks of LEDs) to get the same light output as a xenon lamp. I have never used LED strobes before and was wondering what you guys thought. Should I try to stick with the old school xenon type strobes or should I try some of these LED panels? I will be illuminating a front yard, not indoors. Cost is a very slight concern but I don't want to pay a lot for LED strobes simply becuase they are "new tech".
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

I think xenon tube is much better than LED. Absolutely.
    It is much more powerful, brighter and cheaper.
    I go for xenon. No doubt.
    my webpage
    http://stevemilani.jimdo.com
    Skype ID: stevemilani957

my RGB analogue projectors:
    3.9 W (640/532/445) 30kpps
    2.6 W (655/532/450) 30kpps
    2.5 W (638/532/450) 30kpps
    0.7 W (test unit)(635/532/473) 18kpps

Thanks, man. I'll see if I can find a decent DMX one. If not, I'll probably pick up one of Dave's DMX relay boards and just build some strobes myself. Xenon tubes, trigger coils, SCRs and caps are cheap! I didn't think the LED types would match even a small xenon tube, unless I got a huge panel, which would kill the effect. Thanks again!

The other consideration between the two : zenon are high voltage devices and LED are (for the comparison) low voltage devices.
    When you are talking about outdoor displays there is an inherent danger in using high voltage devices. Not only considering the actual device but anything that may share a wet zone and even the power return lines for running the device(s). Then there are the slight but possible effects of the high voltage discharges causing voltage spikes for other lower voltage devices sharing the same power lines. (I have 4 strobes on one circuit turned down as slow as possible but any one that flashes usually triggers the others to flash too making for a very uncontrollable rate setting.)
    As fas as I know the LED versions do not have any of those concerns. The trade off is to be slightly less bright than the zenon. But they usually overdrive the LEDs for a fraction of the time it would take to burn them out so that they cheat getting much more illumination from them than would otherwise be possible. So the shorter, or in this case the faster, the flash rate the more intensity the unit will produce. (But the results are really difficult to tell without fancy test equipment. It all is blindingly bright to the eye.)
    I think you will find either to be just as good for the desired result but the LED should be more easily controlled and less dangerous in operation outdoors.

And the pricing that I find isn't all that much more expensive. Factor in the lifetime of the unit and lower power consumption and it should work out to be cheaper in the long run.
    If I wanted any more strobes myself I wouldn't have a problem with the LED ones as from videos I've seen online, they are comparable for small to medium size venues and I use them primarily in household settings.

That's my two cents on it.

Don't know if this helps but I came across this:

A comparison between two small strobes one LED and one conventional. These are only small home strobes though. LED one costs 8 Euro!
    Last edited by White-Light; 07-28-2012 at 14:53.

These are the DMX strobes I use... Very bright, tough, and easy to use... http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-DJ-...item53edffba60
    10W RGB
    2x 5W RGB
    2x 3W RGB
    2x 1W Green
    ---------------------------------
    QM.NET, 2x FB3, LivePro, Beyond, APC40,

kgblasers.com

How do those ADJ's compare to a Dataflash?

I think the data flash do 750w...i may be wrong...but these do 800w......i love them and actually bouht these to replace some dataflash.
    10W RGB
    2x 5W RGB
    2x 3W RGB
    2x 1W Green
    ---------------------------------
    QM.NET, 2x FB3, LivePro, Beyond, APC40,

kgblasers.com

Thanks for the replies, all. I think I am going to go with xenon. If it were indoors, I would consider LED. Outdoors, for the amount of light versus the size, it looks like xenon is better. KGB, I think I am going to go with a couple of those. They look like will fit the bill perfectly. I can control them straight off my LD2000. Thanks again, guys. I'll post pics after halloween.

note the manual states

Warning! To prevent or reduce the risk of electrical shock or fire, do not expose this unit to rain or moisture.