Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: CT Lasers 21W RGB

i was just wondering thats all, looked like a cracking build but seemed a very important part missing. i wouldnt build a projector these days without a window, windows stop so much crap covering optics etc..

you dont have to explain to me why you didnt put one in ;-) but i am interested in the us regulations thing?

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    ^^ that is correct. It is a US Regulations thing and the way Lasers get certified. Sometimes i include AR windows. Most of the time i dont. Havent had 1 complaint yet.

If there is an AR window- than a user needs to open the case to clean optics. Thus, this would require case interlocks.

I can elaborate if desired.

-Marc
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

If there is an AR window- than a user needs to open the case to clean optics. Thus, this would require case interlocks.
    Surely a user needs to open the case to clean optics regardless of whether a AR window is installed or otherwise?

Andy - a AR window only goes part of the way to avoiding crap buildup on optics..
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Surely a user needs to open the case to clean optics regardless of whether a AR window is installed or otherwise?

Andy - a AR window only goes part of the way to avoiding crap buildup on optics..
    i know dave, but its a very important part. there are no other large square holes in the case.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

To be quite honest, its a "technicality" thing.

1) According to 21 CFR 1040 (our laser regs). Class 4 Lasers need to have case interlocks to protect users from opening system and being exposed to hazardous radiation. However- when one certifies a laser product over here (as i did with the Luminance projectors) If the system is certified to NOT have any user serviceable parts inside and have NO removeable panels, than system does not require case interlock system. In addition, it is certified that any and all "servicing" and/or maintenance is performed by CT. Lasers ONLY. If a panel is removed, this is considered maintenance or service and therefore voids the no user serviceable components inside and the user has disregarded all warnings (clearly labeled).

2) You may say, "whats the big deal about having a case interlock?" OK, fair enough- HOWEVER- CDRH loves to make sure that if something *IS* included, it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for it to fail. So therefore, if an interlock is needed, it cant just be some sort of "microswitch" or something on a panel. It has to be undefeatable (indefeatable? non-defeatable? lol...) and redundant. So i would need to have 4 redundant switches with fail safes on all panels. A little silly IMO and 99% of my clients opinions.

3) Without aperture glass, this allows users to clean optics WITHOUT having to remove any panels. Therefore does not violate the "no opening of unit" clause.

It gets a little deepr than this. But that is the premise of it. you would be surprised to see that most pro systems over here do not have aperture windows.

What users do on their own and disregard my warnings is their call.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I'd kinda like to see someone apply and remove First Contact to their dichros through a little 2 1/2 inch square window though... that would be some funny looking Q-Tips!

Gotta love U.S. Regs and common sense sometimes!

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

you only need to open one panel to clean the optics..

this is the case interlock switch of choice:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	safety-interlock-switches-9027-2466197.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	34049

To be quite honest, its a "technicality" thing.

1) According to 21 CFR 1040 (our laser regs). Class 4 Lasers need to have case interlocks to protect users from opening system and being exposed to hazardous radiation. However- when one certifies a laser product over here (as i did with the Luminance projectors) If the system is certified to NOT have any user serviceable parts inside and have NO removeable panels, than system does not require case interlock system. In addition, it is certified that any and all "servicing" and/or maintenance is performed by CT. Lasers ONLY. If a panel is removed, this is considered maintenance or service and therefore voids the no user serviceable components inside and the user has disregarded all warnings (clearly labeled).

2) You may say, "whats the big deal about having a case interlock?" OK, fair enough- HOWEVER- CDRH loves to make sure that if something *IS* included, it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for it to fail. So therefore, if an interlock is needed, it cant just be some sort of "microswitch" or something on a panel. It has to be undefeatable (indefeatable? non-defeatable? lol...) and redundant. So i would need to have 4 redundant switches with fail safes on all panels. A little silly IMO and 99% of my clients opinions.

3) Without aperture glass, this allows users to clean optics WITHOUT having to remove any panels. Therefore does not violate the "no opening of unit" clause.

It gets a little deepr than this. But that is the premise of it. you would be surprised to see that most pro systems over here do not have aperture windows.

What users do on their own and disregard my warnings is their call.

-Marc
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Back to the Kvant. If I read the posted spec sheet right, the red has an exit beam of 5mmx6mm and a 1/2 angle divergence of 0.8mrad or full angle of 1.6mrad. So, is the projected spot size at 10M aprox 25mm? Also, does anyone have an unsaturated image of one of the Kvant module"s far field spots (doesn't have to be the 5.8W model) that shows its shape and any peripheral spill?

Hahahahahaha :d lol

Quote Originally Posted by bradfo69 View Post
    i'd kinda like to see someone apply and remove first contact to their dichros through a little 2 1/2 inch square window though... That would be some funny looking q-tips!

Gotta love u.s. Regs and common sense sometimes!
    HOME-GROWN RGB PROJECTOR ALMOST FINISHED...

- Laser-wave 2.5W 445 , 2W 532 & 1.8W 637
    - Stanwax® ilda- , colourcorrection- , ds3- , power distributionboard & key-stop with start button
    - DT40-pro scanset @30K (Quickshow Limited)