Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need a Sanity Check - QS or Beyond

you could just view some Text to see if it reads correctly with all inverts in the software are off

I think you're over complicating things a little. I'm not sure it matters which way round your projector is if you have invert switches on the projector and in the software for each zone.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

^^^ Agreed.

The switches on my projector don't really have an on or off position, it's just one or the other. So, I honestly wouldn't really know which way was on or off. I just make it part of my checks that everything is the correct way around before going 'live' so to speak.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hmmm... This is interesting. I know the default option for graphics is front projection, at least in Showtime...

I'll bet that when you select "view as audience scanning beams" in the preview window, it doesn't actually flip the X in the window. That would account for the difference.

Thus, in Quickshow, that would mean they did the same thing for the preview windows there...

I see your point though - if the preview window is really showing the view "from the audience", then it's bass-ackwards!

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 08-08-2012 at 07:30.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I think you're over complicating things a little. I'm not sure it matters which way round your projector is if you have invert switches on the projector and in the software for each zone.
    Well maybe although I like things right, although my X jumper is now mirrored correctly although graphics are now the wrong way around which is a little irritating.

The one that's really key though is Y axis. That was wrong on mine and I didn't realise until I ran a show with hot beams and found them down into audience zone! Luckily I was totally outside of the beams so no harm done.

It did kind of show the importance of having everything correct though and especially of checking Y orientation before running the projector.

It would be nice though if the norm for the software could be established where X was a mirror if the preview for beams and the same for graphics. I'm not sure if any software has traditionally done that.

The big problem I've had was figuring out the norm given that I didn't have a base reference in the projector to work from as that was outside of the norm also - from the position of the invert switches it looks as if it was accidentally wired with them on although in the end X was correct and Y inverted. All sorted now I think with jumpers except from the fact that beams mirror but so do graphics. I hadn't thought about text but text will be backwards.

Maybe there needs to be a zone invert in the software (assuming there isn't one already I haven't found - I have seen the master invert but not zone invert).

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Hmmm... This is interesting. I know the default option for graphics is front projection, at least in Showtime...

I'll bet that when you select "view as audience scanning beams" in the preview window, it doesn't actually flip the X in the window. That would account for the difference.

Thus, in Quickshow, that would mean they did the same thing for the preview windows there...

I see your point though - if the preview window is really showing the view "from the audience", then it's bass-ackwards!

Adam
    Yeah that's the problem Adam and it has implications because sometimes rotation looks better in one direction than another and of course with rotation its reversed also so clockwise on the screen becomes anti-clockwise from the front without a mirrored output.

Interesting thread Al.

i had to just nip over to the Pangolin Forums for something unrelated and saw this thread...

http://www.pangolin.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265

Not really sure whether or not is has any bearing on this thread, but figured it was worth a link.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Maybe there needs to be a zone invert in the software (assuming there isn't one already I haven't found - I have seen the master invert but not zone invert).
    You can invert every zone by dragging the X or Y size slider to it's equivalent negative value. Hence why I queried why this is an issue. You can have text, graphics and beams all in the correct orientation by assigning to a specific zone and setting the invert appropriately.

Well maybe although I like things right
    But as Jem pointed out in an ealier post, I'm not sure there is a 'right'. Even for graphics projection, 'right' can be one way or another depending on if you are using scrim or a blank wall. Even for beams, as an operator it will all depend on whether you are sitting back of house or front of house to operate.

Maybe I don't see the issue because I don't do pre-programmed shows, or use the preview window as a realistic guide to what's going on.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Interesting thread Al.

i had to just nip over to the Pangolin Forums for something unrelated and saw this thread...

http://www.pangolin.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265

Not really sure whether or not is has any bearing on this thread, but figured it was worth a link.
    Thanks for the link Jem.

I'm going to have another word with Bill. In my case this was triggered by a hardware problem. However, it appears there may be a software problem in so far as beams need to be mirrored and text / graphics un-mirrored.

I'm just going to check that text is sdrawkcab before contacting Pangolin once more.

Seems to be a likely solution would be to introduce a Flip X setting into individual zones. That way as well as a master flip it would be possible to flip a zone if eg you needed beams mirrored and text and graphics not, as appears to be the case.

The problem with master flipping or flipping via the projector is it would appear that unless you're using a scrim, either one of text + graphics or beams are always wrong in orientation.

Looks like its confirmed:

With my X scanner set up to display beams correctly, text is also reversed for wall (normal ie non scrim viewing):

Thanks Adam for the text suggestion and Tag for the pictures and to everyone else who helped out.

I'll have a word with Pangolin. I'm going to suggest an individual zone invert option that way anyone wanting to keep things the way they are can do so.
    Last edited by White-Light; 08-08-2012 at 10:36.