Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Winni @ goldenstarlaser.com

Quote Originally Posted by ARGLaser View Post
    The wavelength is 405nm-1064nm, wouldn't the laserwave module be the red then?
    Yes ,the laserwave is the red modulation and it is 637nm

Quote Originally Posted by acarusi View Post
    Winni is absolutely amazing... I have spoken to her many times and will be purchasing my first RGB from her...

Thanks Winni
    Tks so much!And nice to hear that .

Quote Originally Posted by acarusi View Post
    Winni is absolutely amazing... I have spoken to her many times and will be purchasing my first RGB from her...

Thanks Winni
    Yes, so far I have been very pleased with her communication AND perhaps more importantly, her knowledge and advice. I am pretty sure without her advice that I would have just blindly ordered a higher power system with lesser beam specs without realizing that I was actually getting a lesser quality system.

I pretty much asked her what I should get, she recommended the H-RGB1000 with DT30 scanners and the only thing that I ended up changing was that I went with a slight increase in power with the H-RGB1200 with DT30 scanners. I even asked her at one point why I shouldn't get the nearly 2W version of the RGB1800 and she took the time to explain to me that the improvement in beam specs (particularly on the red laser) with the H-series projector was worth the tradeoff. I ended up also using some advice from here to understand some things better, but ultimately I just decided to trust Winni to steer me in the right direction. So far I feel very confident that she understands the product very well and is making the right recommendations for me based on my needs rather than just based on making an easy sell for as much money as possible.

I also think it is pretty impressive for her to take pictures of my projector as it is being built and to spend so much time communicating with me. Other than the initial, very minor glitch in communication at the beginning in regards to the slight delay in getting the DT30 scanners, she has been in touch with me very regularly.

And while I'm sure that to many of us an H-RGB1200 is a fairly significant outlay of funds, I suspect for a company like Goldenstar laser it is not a particularly large order, so I think that she is definitely going above and beyond the call of duty in terms of customer service!

Ultimately, the real story will be "How good is the laser projector?" if it turns out to be a good quality unit then I will be very happy to post a full review with videos and pictures to help others here make similar decisions in the future.

I came here with the understanding that this forum would have a bit of an "elitist," "you should build it yourself" attitude but I was pleasantly surprised to fine that is not the case at all. My questions have all been answered very well and very politely and I have learned a lot in a very short amount of time.

While I may want to build my own projector in the future, I just wanted to start out with a solid, entry-level system to play with and decide if I want to take the hobby further. Everyone has been very helpful and I thank you all for that!

I got the laser projector today, Monday 8/20/2012. Arrived in good condition and I will be posting pictures and asking questions about alignment (it looks slightly out of alignment when projecting white lines, I can see red and blue bleeding from the sides). I also didn't think to order an ILDA cable, and the only 25 pin cable I have at the house has a centronics connector at the other end...

So... where is the best place to get an ILDA cable? Can I just order a 25 pin printer cable? ILDA cables are expensive - is that a scam or are they really needed?

Thanks!

go on ebay and look for the seller "cables to go" ... they have ILDA cable super cheap.....100ft for $30 .... 50ft for $20...

Just search for DB25 cable...and make sure it notes that all wires are wired strait through....

-Brooks
    10W RGB
    2x 5W RGB
    2x 3W RGB
    2x 1W Green
    ---------------------------------
    QM.NET, 2x FB3, LivePro, Beyond, APC40,

kgblasers.com

Ok,

So I found a short DB25 M/F cable and was able to hook up Pangolin QS and FB3 and was really quite amazed.

Here is a very crappy video on my wife's iphone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI30BYvhH8U

My initial thoughts...

I may have minor alignment issues. Not HORRIBLE, but I am hoping that is something that is fairly easy to adjust. It bugs me a little. EDIT: After talking with some of the more experienced members here, I am under the impression that the alignment isn't bad at all. Apparently all projectors are going to have some color splash due to different sized beams, especially in this price range. You can watch the videos and see the pics and decide for yourself. I trust the folks here are steering me right and I'm not going to mess with adjusting it any time soon.

Overall, the unit is pretty awesome. I've never had a projector before, but the wow factor is pretty high on this one. I can scan a pretty wide area. At first I was confused when I started using QS after running through the default images on the unit. But I found a setting in the zones that had it at 50%. On a side note, Pangolin QS is amazing for a noob! I am able to some pretty amazing things just loading it up and playing with it for a few hours. and it looks immensely more powerful than I am using it right now. One disappointing thing about the Pangolin QS software is that I had hoped/expected there to be a WEALTH of shows available, but it is actually not that huge of a resource. I donwloaded a few shows, but I haven't played with them yet.

Back to the projector, it was packed pretty nicely in the flight case, which is a nice case. I'll be peeling tape off of the case for the next year! The laser projector fits pretty snugly, but there was some slack that goldenstarlaser tried to fill in with a piece of styrofoam and it was a little loose in the box by the time it got here - I don't know if that might explain the slightly out of alignment issues.

There is no glass or plastic cover at the aperture. I don't know if this is to get maximum brightness? I don't know if this increases dust on the mirrors, I wouldn't think so since they would still be exposed to any dust that found its way into the box, even if there were a cover. It does leave the scanner/mirrors open to damage from a wayward finger or similar object.

Overall the housing is very sturdy and looks very nice.

It is bigger than I expected. Not sure why I expected it to be smaller, considering it has three lasers and the scanners in there...

It is noisier than I expected. The fans are not whisper quiet. I wonder if I could replace them with Ca$io projector fans and get it quieter. It isn't a huge deal, I was just wondering...

I can hear the scanners at work when a complex graphic or beam comes up.

Color balance is pretty good! It definitely leans a little blue, but overall it is a pretty good balance and I can definitely see green, yellow, red, blue, pink, light-blue and purple.

In spite of those details, I really do love this projector. I don't have much to compare it to, but one thing that worried me when I was considering the REKE500 was that I saw lots of comments about it not being able to do some shows with the <15k scanners. I didn't run into anything that it couldn't do with the DT30 scanners in this unit so far.

With Pangolin QS and FB3, there are a LOT of graphics available right off the bat and lots of beams too. It really is a pretty amazing piece of kit that is very easy to use!

I'm wore out today, but I will try to post some pics and more videos soon and I will try to put an LPM on the lasers as well.

If anyone has any tips on how to, or whether I should, adjust the alignment, I would be greatly appreciative!
    Last edited by tsteele93; 08-22-2012 at 19:53.

Fixing the alignment will be a bit more problematic than usual because of your dichro mounts. Really you should have got their '3d' mounts which make life much easier. One of the places not worth saving money on imho.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Fixing the alignment will be a bit more problematic than usual because of your dichro mounts. Really you should have got their '3d' mounts which make life much easier. One of the places not worth saving money on imho.
    Where were you when I was sorting the system out? I did not know that, I probably would have gotten them if I had known. Interesting. I can certainly live with it the way it is, but it would be nice to fix it. It really feels like maybe just one laser (blue?) is off to the left or right just a tiny bit. I'll have to look into it I guess.

I'll post some good pics of what I am dealing with tomorrow. Maybe that will make it easier to get an idea of what is wrong. It is a shame that it isn't adjustable through the Pangolin software. Part of me feels like that should be possible, but I guess if they are all aimed to one spot and then just mixed together then that isn't possible.

Lots to learn!

tsteele93, use great care when you have the top off the laser to work on it. The beams will scatter a bit from mirrors and what not. So dont just lean over and look into the box with the thing on. Take some time to look at the walls/celling around you to see the scatter from the lasers. So that you know the lasers "hot spots" and dont go looking into them. Find the test frames in QuickShow and take some pics of those for us.

I wish we could adjust the laser alignment with some software, but the micro motor mirror mounts start at $500USD each.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Newport-8816...-/130744475279

You can order the cheap china mounts from $20-$40, or hunt ebay for some MM-1 mounts. I think you will find its not hard to live with what you have now but you will find temp changes will cause it to go a little wonk.

Every single laser I have got from china the fans are LOUD, I should post my collection of loud fans in the 4sale section hehe.
    Last edited by Picasso; 08-20-2012 at 22:49.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Medialas.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	515.6 KB 
ID:	34384
    In Medialas projector uses a low cost electric motors with reduction gear.
    You can use inexpensive mounts and these motors http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=180918647824
    Not every line is shorter than the curve.