Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DMX Guru Required

The problem with LED lighting's "flashyness" is not the LED's themselves, but the drivers they are using. Seeing as DMX is only values from 0-255(8bit), that means you can have 255 unique steps of brightness with the LED's, which in darkness can be quite noticeable. However, to counteract this, the fixture itself would have to use a higher resolution LED driver, and sort of "fade" between values internally. For example, if it had a 10bit driver, you'd have 1023 brightness values, which the fixture could then internally "map" from 0-255. So for example, sending it a DMX value "1" would have it increment (roughly) 4 brightness levels.

MagicQ is the actual software used on the MQ range of desks, so it's much the same concept as what Avo and all the rest are doing now - apart from Chamsys did it first
    Also Chamsys is the company that grew out of Chamtech who used to make the PM series laser controllers. Look at the wing design for similarities... Good pedigree!

Chamsys is really taking over a lot if places these days and once you use the software you can step up to any of their consoles and use it. The show files are fully portable too.

Do I sound like a fanboy? You betcha! I own some of their more serious hardware and it was money well spent. They also support the Enttec Pro if you'd rather go that route for Pangolin compatibility.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Interesting stuff. I've got an EntTec Pro that I've been testing with Beyond. However, for this particular application I think I'd rather have a self contained controller rather than have to use another laptop. I realise the controller I linked to may not be in the realms of 'professional' gear. But as long as it will do what I want then it'll probably be ok.

Plus, I really don't want to have a huge learning curve just to control two banks of four lights .

Once it's up and running and doing what I want it's unlikely I'll ever need to change the program.

Thanks for the help though, it's all very much appreciated

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Just to note Magicq has a very small footprint.
    I can run Pangolin and Magicq from the same machine with ease (all my computers can do everything as a form of redundancy).
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I'd get the enttec dmx pro, works fine with both Chamsys MagicQ but also with pangolin software and lot's of other DMX softwares.

http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main...ow=description
    Last edited by db3306; 08-22-2012 at 12:19.
    2x 1W RGB(DT40 PRO)
    1x 4W RGB, Full diode (DT40 WIDE)
    2x 1W, 532nm(DT40 WIDE)
    1x ALC68 ArgonGasser with 8ch, PCAOM
    5xFB3SE, BEYOND

In progress, 2x 2,5w RGB

Also recommend the Enttec USB DMX Pro, had one since forever and it's never let me down.

I've used Lightjockey from day 1 and I'm a bit biased as I use to train people how to operate and program LJ.It's way ovepriced but like all software its familiarity and knowing its capabilities.Lightjockey is still the most powerfull all in one solution for dmx control and the suiteis easy to use,I can 'busk' just as well as when using my Pearl.Occasionally a dual universe dongle pops up on e-bay cheap.
    Don't worry about 'flashiness' with led's just adjust the fade/scene time
    lighting the way since 89

Another thumbs up for the Enttec USB DMX Pro. It works very well to control my beam tables within Quickshow.

And even better now with Beyond and Pango Script!!
    2x 1W RGB(DT40 PRO)
    1x 4W RGB, Full diode (DT40 WIDE)
    2x 1W, 532nm(DT40 WIDE)
    1x ALC68 ArgonGasser with 8ch, PCAOM
    5xFB3SE, BEYOND

In progress, 2x 2,5w RGB

I've been using this free app called Freestyler DMX. It comes with a plugin called LedTrix that lets you lay out a matrix and run animated gifs on it, and if your matrix is large enough you can type in text and scroll it across it. I'm not sure how you deal with needing more than 512 channels in the LedTrix module, but it's neat. The midi implementation has a ton of things you can assign to it.

I have the Chamsys QLight demo dongle, and it's neat, but I haven't fully learned it yet. Never was a theater light guy so I'm a tad bit lost in it. I notice with them to use a midi control surface you have to buy their midi adapter and it's quite expensive (It bundles in the ability to follow time code tho.) I do like the cross platform nature of it, and that there is a Linux version of it available.