Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445 LastLast

Thread: Laser Projector (Red, Green, Purple) "Laser 3D Party Light" from Spencer's

I only see the one projector at Spensers that resembles anything that'd include galvos rather than just projecting simple patterns through lenses. --are you saying that the one I ordered already has a blue laser?

I did a Google search on 800mw pure diode laser and came up with options in the $800 range. Are you suggesting that as an alternative to a $155 laser for a non-serious tinkerer on a budget? Maybe I'm misreading

I got one of these and have made some mods. I removed the show board (anyone want it?), swapped the wimpy red and useless 405nm lasers for 170mW 638nm (set to 100mnW) and 100mW 455nm, installed a BadPip quad diode driver and wired up an ILDA connector. I also added a much beefier power supply good for 2.5A +15V and 2A -15V. I'm driving it with a FB3. Works pretty well though I haven't had time yet to tune up the galvo drivers. One really nice difference in the unit I got is the RGB lasers are on a small sub-plate that can be removed and aligned outside the projector. The original diodes needed to be electrically isolated from ground, but my replacements do not so I removed the plasticy bits from the 2 diode mounts and it stays in alignment much better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5114.JPG  

IMG_5115.JPG  

Last edited by Junktronix; 12-28-2015 at 11:47.

Quote Originally Posted by czyzczyz View Post
    ...... I'm not sure the best way to go about this, but the Laserboy amp combined with a cheap C-Media 6206-based sound board seems (here's one for $14) like it'd meet my open-source hackable needs as well as be of sufficiently low cost that it won't kill me if I later want to use an alternate DAC ......
    You should look for "USB SND8". You will find an 8 channel board. The one in the link above is only 6 channels. It's fine for X, Y, red, green, blue, other, but if you have all 8 channels, you have room for stereo audio as well. So you can make one wave file with all control signals and a synchronized sound track. Double click and you have a full color show with music! It's an exact hardware match for ADAT transcriptions.

James.
    Last edited by james; 01-24-2016 at 10:24.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Can anyone out there tell me why the SD card reader on the Spencer laser is so picky?
    I have 8 SD cards all of them are 4gb, all are elite pro cards.
    Only one of them works in my laser. I have another card that is 2gb and it works.
    I've tried formatting them FAT32 and adding the same files as the one that works, but it does not recognize it at all.
    I have the old style unit with the headers for the LCD and keys (not installed).
    I'm trying to set up multiple SD cards and do some fancy gating to select the cards on startup.
    The idea is to be able to show a different animation at will
    I was able to get the proper signals on the header marked SD connected to an external socket and it works fine,
    but I need to be able to store the animations on separate SD cards to pull it all together.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong on the SD cards????

Steve.

I played around with one of these for a little while and it came with a 1GB card, so I got 2 exactly identical 1GB cards from ebay and they all worked fine.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

I have the original 1gb card that the unit came with.
    Found another one with the same exact number on it.
    Formatted it FAT32, copied all the files, still doesn't work.

Any ideas??

Hi, I am new to this forum but have been reading this thread for the past few days as I just acquired 6 of these units from Spencers. They were display units, so some of them had some issues. I used this thread's info to help me out with fixing them such as alignment of the X & Y axis. Now all but one works perfectly, it needs a new galvo and the blue laser stopped working. So it will be my parts unit unless I can source another galvo for it and try to figure out how to get the blue laser to turn back on.. Anyways thanks for the info, I am going to try to reprogram the SD card using the info in this thread.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6050.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	54568

If it is like the one I fiddled with a couple of years ago, it takes CTN files, which are nothing more than a variation of the ILDA format 0.

I added features in LaserBoy to be able to make CTN files of your own art. You need to load ctn.wtf to get all the settings in LaserBoy to make it work. Then you can export proper CTN files that look as good as possible on that unit.

Have you had a go with LaserBoy?
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

I did actually play around with LaserBoy for quite a bit today. I managed to use it and bmp2ild to convert some images to play on the device. I haven't figured out how to have LB "record" an image to say, rotate 360 degrees and then play on the device, I've only been able to show the image as is.. It's the same device the OP posted at the beginning of this thread. Maybe you can give me some pointers in LB as to how to make a single bmp image do simple things like a 360 degree spin? Also the Picture.prg file shows the names of the files loaded on the SD card with numbers next to the file names. I played around with those numbers but I am not sure what they do...Thanks for the reply!

OK! Nice!

There are actually a lot of effects that you can apply to a single frame to make an animation. Rotate is just one of them. This will take any frame and rotate it 360 degrees on each axis individually and then rotate it on all three axis from the front view all around and back to the front view.

You do this by first getting the frame loaded into LB and having it in the current view. Then you choose o from the main menu to output a file. Choose 1 for the file type of ild. Choose 4 to generate a frame effect. Type rotate to pick the effect by name. This will generate a new ild file called rotate.ild in the ild folder inside of the LaserBoy folder. NOTE: If your original frame is too big to do a full rotation on all three axis without going out of bounds, it will fail and tell you so. If this happens, go back to the main menu. Go into the v menu. Use the shift d (capital D) to zoom the view away from the art. When the frame is small enough, apply the view to the frame with the g key. Follow the steps above to try the rotate again.

Once you have the new frame set, you can open it in LB, just like any other frame set file.

If you just want the part of the rotation that is the all around rotation, you can use the left and right arrow keys to navigate to the first frame you want and hit the ( key to select the beginning of the series of frames you want, navigate to the last frame and hit the ) key to select the last frame you want. Then go into menu j from main and hit the 3 key to trim the frame set to only those that you selected.

Now you can save this as a CTN file.

The numbers that fallow the name of the file to load on the SD card are the points per second that the art should be displayed and how many times to show the file before moving on to the next file.

I hope this helps!

Let me know if you have any more questions, or just let me know how it worked out for you.

James.
    Last edited by james; 09-19-2018 at 12:42.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials