Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Laser Build Seminar" concept. Discuss...

Question "Laser Build Seminar" concept. Discuss...

Hey folks!

I had an interesting conversation with LJK last week about various activities that we typically try to do during a LEM. Of course, we always set up a bunch of gear, watch a lot of shows, and in general just "geek out" for the duration of the event. There's also a little repair and trouble-shooting that usually happens. But LJ's suggestion was to have an event where the goal wasn't to watch shows, or even to play with projectors, but rather to assemble a working laser, and if possible, to see that laser installed in a projector.

This would be more like a seminar or workshop than a true LEM, and it would be aimed at the people who are hesitant to try building their own gear. The thought would be to have everyone build, say, a single diode red or blue laser (including external correction optics; either prisms or cylindrical lenses), and then have the leader of the class demonstrate the installation (and wiring and alignment) of that laser into a projector housing.

I'm not exactly sure how this would work, and it might end up being something better suited for a live webinar broadcast vs an actual meeting, but I thought I'd propose the idea here and see what people think. Given the recent interest in some of the higher power blue diodes, and all the work that has been done to tame various high-power red diodes, I'm sure there are plenty of people who would like to participate in something like this. But the devil is in the details, which is why I'd like to get some feedback on the idea.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Adam

I think the idea is great. I also think a scanner tuning bit would work with this as well.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

...it might end up being something better suited for a live webinar broadcast vs an actual meeting
    This is something that could be useful on many different levels. Possibly google hangout or other such media based meetings. This could work for scanner tuning, projector builds, graphics, software tutorials... I know Swami and colouredmirrorball have done a bunch of tutorials for LSX. I know this is kinda getting off topic but, it would be cool if we had a section where we could post meeting times for... anything if someone wanted to host. From LaserBoy to Pangolin tutorials, projector builds to variance help... Drinking beer and shooting the shit...
    Last edited by absolom7691; 09-05-2012 at 07:12.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I'm in. Where do I send the Paypal payment?

The devil is in the details... humm.... If I were to host a real LEM, I would want for it to be for an entire weekend - Friday, Saturday, Sunday. The problem is, that's when we're busiest so I have to look far in advance like 2014. But, for something like this, if the idea of coming to a central location actually worked for people and, we could arrange cheap lodging, I could block out a full day where we could have an all day building or software seminar and could still finish up the day with some properly set up full length planetarium style shows with my gear (hopefully with the sabre soon). People wouldn't have to drag along a bunch of stuff like they do at a LEM. The facility is set up for it since we're a banquet and conference center.... humm...

Perhaps a "kit" is put together with a diode, mount, optics, flemod or similar, and small power supply for everyone as part of their registration.

Failing that, a webinar would work too although, I think you'd need to record it and make it available somehow as not everyone may be able to participate in a webinar at an assigned time.

Who is LJK? 15chars
    leading in trailing technology

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    I think the idea is great. I also think a scanner tuning bit would work with this as well.
    I'll second that. Including when tuning for less than max OD to maximize PPS.

An advanced techniques course covering some of LSX and ILD SOS finer points would be nice too. Two weeks of reading and playing with LSX Pro lets me think I'll still be in need of tutoring by next year's SELEM. It would also be nice to have a projector running that demonstrates when and why you want to make some of the adjustments (e.g. preblanking, postblanking, maxdist, GeoNet), as well as someone good at the math expressions for curves and Lissajou events, practical tuning advice for various graphics versus beam shows, etc. (I'll make sure I've watched all of the already existing videos too.)

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

I like it...

I vote yes for this at the next LEM.

Greg
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

this is a great idea. maybe we could get drlava to do the presentation.

in the meantime, there is a LSX tutorial thread. the abstract section was done by coloredmirrorball, and it's the basis of many of the abstracts i do in my LSX shows.

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    I'll second that. Including when tuning for less than max OD to maximize PPS.

An advanced techniques course covering some of LSX and ILD SOS finer points would be nice too. Two weeks of reading and playing with LSX Pro lets me think I'll still be in need of tutoring by next year's SELEM. It would also be nice to have a projector running that demonstrates when and why you want to make some of the adjustments (e.g. preblanking, postblanking, maxdist, GeoNet), as well as someone good at the math expressions for curves and Lissajou events, practical tuning advice for various graphics versus beam shows, etc. (I'll make sure I've watched all of the already existing videos too.)

-David
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    this is a great idea. maybe we could get drlava to do the presentation.

in the meantime, there is a LSX tutorial thread. the abstract section was done by coloredmirrorball, and it's the basis of many of the abstracts i do in my LSX shows.
    Many thanks, hadn't seen this particular thread yet. Well done and the effort is truly appreciated!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i have some of my LSX work on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/swamidog

if you're curious to see what it can do.

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Many thanks, hadn't seen this particular thread yet. Well done and the effort is truly appreciated!

-David
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.