are not connected to anything
    I mean it
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	short.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	35437

or just find a microcontroller with ethernet built in
    I plan to use atmega328 with the W5100 chip. It works well together, but I'm not sure that it bundle will work with LSX. Can LSX see a virtual COM port, etc...

Oh... ha! I see ... that planet Yeah I see now. You are talking about DrLava's version. He has those configured as 24 MHz clock out. The CBUS pins can be configured as a few different things using the FTDI configuration utility, MPROG. He uses those to clock the 328 at 24 Mhz instead of having to install a new crystal. The open source version of OLSD doesn't do this. You still need to run a line from the CTS to one of the IO on the Arduino/ATMega328.

So you plan to use essentially an "Ethernet Shield". You might need to reconfigure the SPI slave select line for the W5100 chip. Also you may want to do some reading of the source code to make sure you can make it work like you think it will work. My experience with networks and virtual serial ports (USB and Network) leads me to believe you will want to rewrite the OLSD firmware and OLSD driver to work with the strengths of the network instead of just trying to piggy back the serial on the network. I do not think you will achieve what you want without a bit of firmware and software. The LSX driver will not work as it expects to communicate to a FTDI chip and not a "COM" port. This can be changed with a little bit of code. If you want to know some details I can point you to what needs to be changed... or at least give you a good idea.... as I am sure there are some hurdles to get over.

We should start a new thread to put this in since it goes a bit beyond just using LSX with the OLSD.

so, just to sum it up, is any sort of hardware available that works with lsx without the end user having to do any modding?

if yes, who sells it and how much would he ask for his trouble making it?

"its called character briggs..."

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

pangolin's qm2000/qm.net works fine with LSX as does j4cbo's etherdream DAC.

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    so, just to sum it up, is any sort of hardware available that works with lsx without the end user having to do any modding?

if yes, who sells it and how much would he ask for his trouble making it?

suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

fair enough sir swami, I wasn't specific enough
    I meant a version of OLSD that is ready to work with LSX out of the box

one day i will get myself an etherdream for sure. at the moment i am just looking for something to act as a double to the tiny riya lite

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

no worries. i should have read for context.

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    fair enough sir swami, I wasn't specific enough
    I meant a version of OLSD that is ready to work with LSX out of the box

one day i will get myself an etherdream for sure. at the moment i am just looking for something to act as a double to the tiny riya lite
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Yes... the standard version works with LSX out of the box (you do have to copy 1 file... is that modding?) You cannot play protected shows with it though because it is Open Source. It has no licensing mechanism built in.

How much? $75 ... where can you get them? I am sold out. Anyone else can make them too. If you are handy with soldering I will give you a board and you can make one for yourself. I have 8 bare boards left.

I am making a new all in 1 board version that should be plentiful sometime around the new year.

great!!

one board for me please and put me in the list for next year, too

Quote Originally Posted by cfavreau View Post
    So you plan to use essentially an "Ethernet Shield". You might need to reconfigure the SPI slave select line for the W5100 chip.
    I forgot to say that this manufacturer has boards with 2x and 4x serial ports, so I think there is no need to reconfigure the spi bus, because it will not be involved in the communication with the ethernet chip
    The LSX driver will not work as it expects to communicate to a FTDI chip and not a "COM" port.
    It was one of the main issues that I was afraid. The need to rewrite the driver LSX on PC side now obvious.
    If you want to know some details I can point you to what needs to be changed...
    This will be my first experience to "tinker" with drivers, i do not shure about the result.
    We should start a new thread to put this in since it goes a bit beyond just using LSX with the OLSD.
    This will not help us, when will DrLava be back

Why not use a real USB AVR? Teensy, for example. There's even an ATmega32U4-based Arduino now. That way you could get all the data rate you like, without having to dick around with FTDIs and similar awful, awful hacks.