Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello everyone!

Default Hello everyone!

Hi guys

This is Gianluca from Astoria, NY i just joined the forum. It's a long time that i am a big fan of lasers but only a few days ago i decided to invest some money and i bought a 1W RGB laser that came with I-SHOW.

I played with it for a week and figured out by myself that the software is crap

What i would like to focus in right now is not doing shows that goes with the music but mainly control the laser in a LIVE mode. I will use it mainly in club with edm music and i think that the best way is controlling it live or drawing some segment with the option to change the speed on the go (i understand that i can't do this on ishow)

What would be another software alternative?is there also any hardware available that will allow me to control the speed,rotation, horizontal and vertical move? i am not a big fan of trackpad or mouse... Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

Thank you and hope to meet some of you guys soon.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

What is your budget?

I recommend you go through this thread: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...732-LSX-or-FB3
    as LSX or QS will be your two main options.

Both have flaws, both have strengths.

Quickshow (with FB3) is very easy to use (so I'm told). It focuses on live stuff, and comes with lots of stock frames. Also Pangolin is known for their customer support.
    Downsides are, it's kind of expensive for what it is (IMO), the hardware doesn't offer a lot of options and you are locked to Pangolin software. Upgrades to Beyond or other Pangolin systems are really expensive.

LSX offers a lot of advanced options you will never encounter in other software packages. The main feature is the ability to use expressions that are evaluated in real time. This allows you to use live input to control parameters (like the amplitude or frequency of a sine wave for example). Also it runs really smooth.
    Downsides are that it has a steep learning curve and it takes a lot of time to get to the really powerful stuff. But once you master that, there's no stopping you. For example, there is no BPM function in LSX. But thanks to expressions I could create my own
    You don't get hardware with it though. The "default" DAC for LSX would be the Riya, which is kinda cheap. But most people go with the Etherdream, as it offers a lot more possibilities (ethernet instead of unreliable USB, on board geometrical correction, TTL output lines for actuators, DMX option etc.)

They both offer external control possibilities (like a MIDI controller).

My €0.02, but I should warn you, I'm a bit biased towards LSX :P

Thumbs up Try before you buy...

If you can be patient, come down to SELEM in August, where you'll see all kinds of software in use (including Beyond, Quickshow, Showtime, LivePro, LSX, Mamba Black, and maybe a few others too). You can see it run in person and ask questions from the folks who are actually using it. Details can be found in the SELEM sign-up thread.

Adam

Thank you guys for your answers.

I just downloaded a demo of quickshow, i will start to have a look at it and yes, actually coming to this show would be a great idea. Thank you for letting me know.

Welcome Gianluca!!!!

Finally I found somebody speaking Italian also!!!

You don't worry about the software to choose.... Here you can find all the right help and the best advices needed. You are into the "Fort Knox" of laserists

As Adam *Buffo* said (b.t.w.... How are you , "Old Torpedo"?) next August SELEM will be.
    A super-great opportunity for you to meet all best laserists in USA.
    SELEM = High University of laser. Don't miss!!!

Welcome once more!

Steve (Stefano)
    my webpage
    http://stevemilani.jimdo.com
    Skype ID: stevemilani957

my RGB analogue projectors:
    3.9 W (640/532/445) 30kpps
    2.6 W (655/532/450) 30kpps
    2.5 W (638/532/450) 30kpps
    0.7 W (test unit)(635/532/473) 18kpps

haha yaaayyy

I am sure it will be a great event where i can see and learn a lot. I am still waiting to know if i will be here those days or i will have to go back to Italy for work.

If i will be here i will be definitely join the SELEM.

Thank you

HAHA! Hey Steve - this old torpedo is still running hot, straight, and normal! Though admittedly I'm a little tired after getting the roof on my house replaced this past week...

Giacopin;

SELEM is more than just a laser show. It's a gathering of hobbyists from all over. Many of the people you see here on PL will be at SELEM, and you can get to know them over the course of a 3-day event. You can get into detailed discussions about laser projectors, laser show software, electronics, and lots of other cool topics. By the time the event is over, you will have hundreds of new ideas for projects! You'll also have a new group of laser friends!

So yeah, if you're still in the country in August, come on down to North Carolina and have some fun with us at SELEM. I promise you it will be a great time.

Adam

Default Go Navy!

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    HAHA! Hey Steve - this old torpedo is still running hot, straight, and normal! Though admittedly I'm a little tired after getting the roof on my house replaced this past week...
    Hi Adam!
    Haha!... No problem mate...
    Probably next week it will be my turn at work...
    Me too have to work on the roof..... I have to clean up my fireplace. I hate to do this.... but... I must to do ... My wife is always remembering me this... "You MUST to clean it before autumn will be!!!". And I'm always answering her: "Yes baby... I'll do... I'll do... Don't worry sugar....You have to be sure honey..." (W.T.F!....she already have inflated my balls off measure!...)

Go Navy! GO!

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Milani; 05-12-2013 at 05:00.
    my webpage

Ok guys, i will try my best to get to SELEM.

In the meantime since i would need the laser soon in a club and since budget was not an obstacle i got quickshow! After watching all the tutorial i thought it was the best for what i need to do so far.

Very good start!
    And you don't forget to have a look at www.pangolinshows.com
    It's a real bank of QS shows! FREE!!!

Steve
    my webpage