Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scanner Problems

Default Scanner Problems

Hey guys....Im having a problem with 2 different lasers of mine...1 RGB and 1 Green only.... its kinda hard to explain but ill try.

this picture probably sums it up best..... This is a problem i have always had since i built these...

The lasers always start fine and look great but the problem arises if I leave QS on auto...or when i crank the animation speed up or scan more than 75% on x axis total size..... I can pretty much keep it under control as long as I don't scan to wide. I don't even know what to say about it other than it looks like all blanking disappears all of a sudden and the animation turns to mush.. It only ever happens on 1 of my RGBs..the other RGB has never messed up. They are both exactly the same in every way. and then on my last show my green only scanner started having the same problem....

Whenever it happens I have to go on stage and unplug the laser for 10 sec...I can then plug it back in and everything is fine(until it breaks again)

Have any of yall ever had this problem? What could possible be going on?

The scanner specs are..
    1W Kvant 640
    1.5W CNI green
    1.3W Edison blue
    DT-40
    stanwax breakout/interlock

thanks,
    -Brooks

KGBlasers.com
    Last edited by KGB; 09-11-2012 at 11:32.
    10W RGB
    2x 5W RGB
    2x 3W RGB
    2x 1W Green
    ---------------------------------
    QM.NET, 2x FB3, LivePro, Beyond, APC40,

kgblasers.com

Hi,

I had some strange things with my scanners too (JMLaser Litrack, the same as DT30 with a different driver).

When I drive them too hard (combination of too much speed and angle), they turn into a strange mode, scanning some distorded figures which are sort of lissajous. I often have to turn on and off the projector to have things going back to normal.

Fortunately it seems to happen only when drived too hard like a test pattern at full angle so I avoid it, and if this happens, I can remotely turn power off/on from the control room

sounds like the same issue im having..... Id really like to figure out what it is because its not affecting my other RGB... I can scan 100% at 30k and it will stay working fine.....I cant even get close to 100% with the other RGB...
    10W RGB
    2x 5W RGB
    2x 3W RGB
    2x 1W Green

kgblasers.com

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

try replacing the PSU's with something a little more robust. DT's are pretty notorious for having underspec power supplies.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Ya... I was thinking the same thing.....at least its a good place to start...

...So, where can i get 2 replacements for DT-40s? They have to be single power supplies...not a +- pair. I dont have room for a pair in each case..

Any ideas?
    10W RGB
    2x 5W RGB
    2x 3W RGB
    2x 1W Green

kgblasers.com

Sounds like DT polyswitch resettable fuse syndrome
    A little bit werrrr, a little bit weyyyyyy, a little bit arrrrgggghhh

All the serious electronics distributors have parametric search capabilities. Measure your space constraints and give one a try. BUT if "They are both exactly the same in every way.", and only one fails - I'd take a careful look at cooling, airflow, and especially tuning at high gain. If the galvos are oscillating at high gains/frequencies the current draw will go through the roof - and giving them more power could just lead to a new failure mode...

Quote Originally Posted by KGB View Post
    Ya... I was thinking the same thing.....at least its a good place to start...

...So, where can i get 2 replacements for DT-40s? They have to be single power supplies...not a +- pair. I dont have room for a pair in each case..

Any ideas?

"DT polyswitch resettable fuse"---pardon my ignorance..but is that a real thing :P (nvm...wiki answered that)

If it was the resettable fuse wouldn't that just kill the entire scanners and not output anything.....because i never loose power....just loose any resemblance of correct images...

Does anyone know a good replacement....I really cant tear into my projector to get the measurements anytime soon (im 2,000 miles away) but want to order something asap...

I feel like if that's the problem then people here would know an exact power supply model I could order..........anyone?

Much thanks to all yall
    -Brooks
    10W RGB
    2x 5W RGB
    2x 3W RGB
    2x 1W Green

kgblasers.com

if these are the specs on the DT website....should I get exactly this or would it make sense to get something that could handle more power? like 24v 2A?

110V-220V AC Output ± 24V 1A
    10W RGB
    2x 5W RGB
    2x 3W RGB
    2x 1W Green

kgblasers.com

Its the poly switch... Round usually yellow disk with 2 legs on the driver.. Short it out and try again :-)