Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red light therapy

Default Red light therapy

Hey guys,
    I would like to know if there is any way to make this light for less than what they are selling it for. http://www.mclarenusainc.com/

Based on what I have found, it uses 660nm Red LED lights and the output Volts is 4.5

Couldn't I just buy a regular LED flashight and replace the bulbs with 660nm Red diode LED lights and have the same effect??

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Hi LEDConfused, and welcome to the forum.

I'm sure any member on this board would be happy to make you something similar for half the cost of that baby

All you need is a 660nm red diode, a heat sink of sorts, a driver and a battery. That should sort you out...

I wouldn't expect it to work miracles though
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

from their website:

"As the infra-red light passes through the skins its wavelength is altered, creating the stimulating effect upon body tissue through photonic stimulation at the cellular level."

i did not realize my insides were a handy source of non-linear optics.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Hi LEDConfused, and welcome to the forum.

I'm sure any member on this board would be happy to make you something similar for half the cost of that baby

All you need is a 660nm red diode, a heat sink of sorts, a driver and a battery. That should sort you out...

I wouldn't expect it to work miracles though
    Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if using a 4.5V LED Flashlight and replacing the white lights with the red diode lights would be just the same??

before you spend money, burn some quality time with a skeptical eye on that website and verify/debunk their claims.

start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_level_laser_therapy

they're selling about 20$ worth of parts for 700$....

Quote Originally Posted by LEDConfused View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if using a 4.5V LED Flashlight and replacing the white lights with the red diode lights would be just the same??
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

For starters, I would replace 1 white led with 2 red leds in series.

Forward voltage of a white led is about double that of a red led.

Good if the "therapy" works for you, but imho quackery is plain criminal.
    Last edited by -bart-; 10-23-2012 at 11:24.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    before you spend money, burn some quality time with a skeptical eye on that website and verify/debunk their claims.

start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_level_laser_therapy

they're selling about 20$ worth of parts for 700$....
    That's my point. I don't want to spend that kind of money. I was hoping someone would let me know if it would be the same thing/tool, by replacing the white LED lights in a 4.5v flashlight with red 660nm LED diodes?

The price is the most potent ingredient of most placebos.

buy a 5$ laser pointer cat toy. send swamidog a latte and the 695$ you've just saved.

Quote Originally Posted by LEDConfused View Post
    That's my point. I don't want to spend that kind of money. I was hoping someone would let me know if it would be the same thing/tool, by replacing the white LED lights in a 4.5v flashlight with red 660nm LED diodes?

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    buy a 5$ laser pointer cat toy. send swamidog a latte and the 695$ you've just saved.
    LOL.... I ordered one from E-Bay! (by the way it was cheaper than $5 ) Waiting on that to come in, BUT I also wanted to play around with the flashlight idea.

You still haven't answered my question swaimidog.... would it be the same exact thing/tool, by replacing the white LED lights in a 4.5v flashlight with red 660nm LED diodes?