Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Red light therapy

Quote Originally Posted by Phredy1 View Post
    It will probably cause cancer..... Everything else does these days.
    this thought crossed my mind, too. I generaly feel very very (very) sceptical about high energy concentrations on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidal Wolf View Post
    I wonder if hes going to build one or two (dozen) and sell them on Ebay for 599 bucks, thereby undercutting the competition..
    this also occured to me as a possible outcome of this... all the cryptic talk about undisclosed projects does not do the trick for mel
    "its called character briggs..."

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    this also occured to me as a possible outcome of this... all the cryptic talk about undisclosed projects does not do the trick for mel
    I don't have time to make a bunch of these. I have a friend who has one. I have been skeptical if they work and of course of the price tag that goes along with it. I wanted to test the theory if making one from an LED Flashlight would render the same results. (i.e. seeing if we get the same responses from the horse using the homemade unit, verses the expensive one.)

Also, there is a unit available for under $100. It's called the Acu-Lite. Same dynamics as the link I posted to the unit that is $600, only it's bulkier.

So my project is more for curiosity than anything. It's as simple as that. The thought of spending hours at my kitchen table, tearing apart a flashlight and soldering in a bunch of lights is not on my list of priorities of things to do.

Thank you Jem and Swamidog for your help and humor. I will let you know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Ah, the Charlatens.. 660 only does not cut it.

According to the origional NASA studies, you need 3 LED wavelengths to be successful with LED healing. 660 is only one of the three "colors" needed.
    660 alone is not effective. You need 880 and one other wavelength I can't remember right now. In the mid seven hundreds.

Steve
    Yes, I saw that too. However my friends horse does seem to respond to the expensive unit and as far as I can tell it only has the 660nm lights in it.

So can anyone tell me what the difference between these 2 lights are? Meaning what's the difference in getting the single ones with wires verses the other type with the disc? As you can tell, I really have no knowledge on this stuff and that is why I came here for help.

http://www.lck-led.com/images/CH-TW09103W.jpg

http://img.alibaba.com/img/pb/896/57...574896_704.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by LEDConfused View Post
    THANKYOU!! That's all I was asking.
    I've already responded to this same question you posted on LPF.
    I responded with the same response of using 660nm Laser in the
    "LED flashlight" you mentioned.

When will you believe the answers to your questions ?????

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Ok, the disk LEDs are simply for more power. The metal disk is needed to get heat out of the led's core on a larger led.

NASA funded type. Three wavelengths, red, two near IR. Penetrates deeper into tissues. The red activitates a reaction in the tissue, the long IR wavelengths penetrate deeper into the tissue, proven combinations are 660 and 880 nm leds, and greatly accelerated heaing using a mix of 660,880, and 730-750 nm light.
    Two and three wavelengths works far better then just 660. The 880 and 730 nm light are unlikly to stimulate healing by themselves. They will aid in penetrating the hair and tissue.

Red light healing works better on incisions and torn tissue, it does
    little for burns and skin ulcers.

One thing to keep in mind. Part of this is Just plain old warmth, accelerating cell growth and possibly Nitrous ion release in tissue.
    The Nitrous ion helps stimulate cell growth in damaged bulk tissue. The LEDs residual heat during supplies warmth. So do the traditional red filtered heat lamps.

Research Study I'd like to See: Cooled 660 nm only LEDs with no internal heat emission vs 660 nm LEDs with internal Heat emission, VS Heat Pads/Hot watter bottles and good ole fashioned physical rubdowns.

There is also a bit of a placebo effect for the horse. Horses can sense the care being given to them. That helps with stress.
    Gently flexing the tissue in the right way aids circulation somewhat.

Also for this to work, it helps to be on a diet with small added doses of some chemicals needed for cell growth.

Laser tissue stimulation is used because IR coherent laser light can get deeper into the tissue. However, while i'm not in the least concerned with the OP using LEDs, at his level of technical skill, he needs to stay away from lasers. If the horse is kicking you, your instrument is doing more harm then good.

Mom's Old adddage of go out and get some sun when your healing is there for a reason.

Why do I know about this?
    Nine years of supporting the manufacturing of subtrates for in-vivo and in-vitreo tissue growth as part of my job at U of A.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 10-28-2012 at 10:45.

Mom's Old adddage of go out and get some sun when your healing is there for a reason.
    Mom isn't always right, but she is usually not far from the truth. However, I have never seen any evidence that there is any inhibiting effect to the "off wavelength" light and so the effort and expense to dose with these narrow band sources seems a little sketchy. Like you said about the heat component (long IR) and the chemical supplements, there are a lot of extraneous inputs to the results.

Of course as these sources grow cheaper and more powerful then LED illumination will become the default light for most purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Ok, the disk LEDs are simply for more power. The metal disk is needed to get heat out of the led's core on a larger led.

NASA funded type. Three wavelengths, red, two near IR. Penetrates deeper into tissues. The red activitates a reaction in the tissue, the long IR wavelengths penetrate deeper into the tissue, proven combinations are 660 and 880 nm leds, and greatly accelerated heaing using a mix of 660,880, and 730-750 nm light.
    Two and three wavelengths works far better then just 660. The 880 and 730 nm light are unlikly to stimulate healing by themselves. They will aid in penetrating the hair and tissue.

Red light healing works better on incisions and torn tissue, it does
    little for burns and skin ulcers.

One thing to keep in mind. Part of this is Just plain old warmth, accelerating cell growth and possibly Nitrous ion release in tissue.
    The Nitrous ion helps stimulate cell growth in damaged bulk tissue. The LEDs residual heat during supplies warmth. So do the traditional red filtered heat lamps.

Research Study I'd like to See: Cooled 660 nm only LEDs with no internal heat emission vs 660 nm LEDs with internal Heat emission, VS Heat Pads/Hot watter bottles and good ole fashioned physical rubdowns.

There is also a bit of a placebo effect for the horse. Horses can sense the care being given to them. That helps with stress.
    Gently flexing the tissue in the right way aids circulation somewhat.

Also for this to work, it helps to be on a diet with small added doses of some chemicals needed for cell growth.

Laser tissue stimulation is used because IR coherent laser light can get deeper into the tissue. However, while i'm not in the least concerned with the OP using LEDs, at his level of technical skill, he needs to stay away from lasers. If the horse is kicking you, your instrument is doing more harm then good.

Why do I know about this?
    Nine years of supporting the manufacturing of subtrates for in-vivo and in-vitreo tissue growth as part of my job at U of A.

Steve
    GREAT explanation Steve!! Thank you so much!
    So do you think the expensive unit works much the same as the Acu-light unit? Or do you feel either unit works at all?
    I haven't gotten my lights in yet, still waiting for Mr. Postman. But I will be curious to see if the horse reacts the same way with my home made unit vs the expensive one.
    I did receive my little cat toy laser and have tried it in myself on certain areas that have low level pain. It "seemed" to help on the less dense areas i.e. wrist, but not so much in the knee or thigh area. I was going to try it on my friends horse, but figured with only 1 tiny light I probably won't get any reaction.