Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: The Big Green Thread (I'm gonna regret posting this in the morning)

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Steve,
    Help me here. The orange list, how did you do that? Anyway, What does the list represent? It seems to be a list of DPSS components with a progression of properties. What are you suggesting?
    Steve went to the wayback machine and did a search on Casix website to get some of their pricing from years ago.
    http://archive.org/web/web.php

Ivan

yeah i went to casix too and i guess they ain't what they used to be .. everything's in china now i suppose ..
    --we may have to use some "yankee" engineering //

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    I looked up the Gem you linked to and it seems to be a 750mw laser. If that is correct and even if that is a single vs dual diode pump then the most that design is proven to produce is 1.5W. I don't think the components will necessarily work for 2+ W and at that price that seems a little steep for the benefit.
    Sure, even if they 'took' $1500. that's a healthy chunk of change for an 'R&D' piece.. but couple-thoughts: a) LQs *always* ran at least 20-30% overspec, they were always very-conservative with 'rated powers-sold' - polar-opposite to many of the 'ChOEMs', laserwerlds, etc, etc.

b) I'm pretty-sure the components would handle-doing 2+ Watts, but, perhaps would not do 2W in the 'Gem-specs config', since they were shooting for far-more sci-grade, than 'entertainment-grade' specs - http://www.laserquantum.com/products/detail.cfm?id=14 ..so, between (likely) some extra temp-control stuff, perhaps different curve on mirs, etc, they were optimized for beam-quality / stability, vs 'power'..

..But, I 'point' that out, simply because the Gem and the Excels are the *same chassis*, and - I strongly-believe - very-similar, if-not identical 'internal-layout' / components (..again, save for a few optics-specs..) Point would be to have a 'real-world' unit, to measure / test FLs / waists, etc, and the LQs are rarely-seen, FS, out in the 'open', etc.. But I certainly concur that even $1500. is a chunk to blow on 'maybe we could glean something from it'.. was jus' sayin..

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I was "Waybacking" to look for Casix's list of stock optics for radius and transmission. I found the price list, I'm looking for the parameters list.

Help me out here Steve-O, find the "DPSS KIT" mirror radius and transmisison list for say the 1995 to 2000 range using Wayback.

About a decade of Casix.com is stored there.

Just search at archive.org

Yoda say:

Stock optics make they will. Cheaper will be stock optics for initial test.

Other companies used to, and probably still, clone the Casix list. The cheap is out there.

10-20 watts intracavity power on low cost optics makes me cringe, but Asian coatings are getting better.

Perhaps Ebay Seller Snoctony knows whom we need to know.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Help me out here Steve-O, find the "DPSS KIT" mirror radius and transmisison list for say the 1995 to 2000 range using Wayback.

Steve
    No prob Steve. I'm at work now and have some things to do, but I'll be happy to help as soon as I can. Is "DPSS KIT" the actual name of a Casix product line?

Maybe this is a little premature, but maybe not.

When this comes to the point of actually building some lasers, how many people are already likely to go forward as soon as that is possible? I am not talking about those lasers that might be produced a year later for some distant project. I think it would be good to develop a growing list (like with a group buy). to get an idea of who might be willing to contribute to the initial R and D.

I also will suggest that a scalable design with a single diode pump that targets 2W of 532 power is a good starting point. If someone wants 4W then spring for a second PBS 808 pump and the design is already set to accommodate it ( a spot, even milled and drilled to accept the diode is waiting). If you want 8W then the polarized 4W output from two heads is easily combined. We might even design a pair-o-heads as s single piece option to the base head if you plan to or might go this high. The assumption, and it it is a pretty big one, is that the order of mag of the expense is that a 2W copy will cost between $1,000 and $2,000 and up-powers will cost proportionally less.

I'll start this list and as others join then copy/ paste and add so the growing list moves down

............................2W heads.............4W heads.............8W heads

1. Planters.................0.......................2-3......................1-0

Hello,

I have been reading this thread with interest and have learned a fair bit from info posted so thanks to all for "stretching" my brain!

I have found a page from 2002 as below which gives some details of the CASIX kits.

http://web.archive.org/web/200203290...stals/dpss.htm.

There are some patents US20040196883, US20070053403, US6075803 relating to getting more pump energy into the laser rod - possibly overkill/complicated for this?

I have a couple of questions.

Does the polarisation of the 808nm pump relate to the pol of the 1064/532? If so will PBS'ing the 808 pump to double power result in a non polarised (or 2pols at 90degs) 532 output that can't be PBS'd again to increase power again?

Looking at the idea of side pumping would 2 pumps from opposite sides double the power without the need for more complex optics and associated alignment issues? Would this affect polarisation?

On the subject of finance for the first build if we guess at $2k for parts/machining then 40 investors of $50 would cover this. I would be happy to invest this amount to see this happen. Obviously this doesn't cover time/energy for the physical builder(s) but its a start. How many people would be up for the idea?

Regards Mickey

Is this old thread worth a re-visit http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ultiwatt-532nm
    Maybe a v fold thin disk http://www.showlaser.dk/backstage/projects/

Just wondering
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Also worth a read good conversion eff 42% eek
    One of you gurus might make sense of it ?
    http://www.col.org.cn/viewFull.aspx?id=COL02010029
    Or this http://lib.semi.ac.cn:8080/tsh/dzzy/...7/5737-109.pdf
    Last edited by badger1666; 11-08-2012 at 10:32.
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Heyo Steve- I found this "kit" from 1997 .. any help ?
    http://web.archive.org/web/199710111...com/Optics.htm