Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Galvo mirror upgrade. Power improvement?

Default Galvo mirror upgrade. Power improvement?

Looking for input on how increasing my galvo size mirror by .5mm might effect power output. I currently have some spill over on red and am curious if an upgrade would help capture much of it.

I know the factor of beam tightness plays I huge, but could there be a decent amount of power lost in .5mm of a mirror. Just not sure if it is worth the headache to set new mirrors.

Thoughts.
    leading in trailing technology

upgrade ya red?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    upgrade ya red?
    A while back, just looking to improve it more if possible. I'm getting 2.5 off the scanners of 3.3 going in.

of red? or full RGB

what mdoule or diodes you using?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

That would be of Red, it is a homemade unit using overdriven P73's (I know pros don't but this is home use only). It is tec cooled and rock solid test full on for 8 hours with no dip in power.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redHB.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	244.7 KB 
ID:	39268

oh the P73's...

i can see from your pic you went for better beam at distance not aperture.

i suppose you either redesign your red or as you have said try get bigger scanner mirrors, i know rob (stanwax) does the big DT mirrors on their own so you could look at them. but im sure as you know big mirrors means slower scanner speed
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I can mount my own mirrors, I currently have some 7X11's on them, and am wondering if going to a 7.5 will really help.

I think just the higher quality mirror may work, looking at some from OSLS. My current ones pass abit through the mirror itself.

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    oh the P73's...

i can see from your pic you went for better beam at distance not aperture.

i suppose you either redesign your red or as you have said try get bigger scanner mirrors, i know rob (stanwax) does the big DT mirrors on their own so you could look at them. but im sure as you know big mirrors means slower scanner speed

I ordered the mirrors today so next week I'll report back what little larger mirror .5mm can do for power when using stacked red and blues.

Did he cut them or are they stock? I think the quality of the mirror will make a difference. If you are locked into just 0.5mm then I guess go for it, but I would think about 1mm larger to really see a noticeable difference.

There are a few other things you might look at while you go through the beam line. Check your right angle turning mirror, it seems bright. What do you loose going in and out of this? These mitsu diodes (G71 and more so the P73s) have a lot of structure to their beams. I have found that I can pack them tighter than I first thought because the power lost with cut off in the knife edging saved more by minimizing spill at the scanner. Also, there is a neat trick that I learned is used by many of the higher end scanner manufacturers. Even without fabricating a custom galvo mount to get more from both axes, you can reduce the spill from the "Y" scanner by rotating it slightly so that the projection comes out at a downward angle. This assumes that your using the projector from an elevated position, but if not then a slightly modified mount with the "Y" below and projecting at an upward angle accomplishes the same thing. The idea is there is nothing set in stone about 45 degrees AOI and a reduction of even a few degrees AOI increases the apparent width of the mirror. For example, only 4.3 degrees will get you that 0.5mm added to the existing 7mm mirror.

Thanks for the insight. I'll check things out this weekend.

John

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Did he cut them or are they stock? I think the quality of the mirror will make a difference. If you are locked into just 0.5mm then I guess go for it, but I would think about 1mm larger to really see a noticeable difference.

There are a few other things you might look at while you go through the beam line. Check your right angle turning mirror, it seems bright. What do you loose going in and out of this? These mitsu diodes (G71 and more so the P73s) have a lot of structure to their beams. I have found that I can pack them tighter than I first thought because the power lost with cut off in the knife edging saved more by minimizing spill at the scanner. Also, there is a neat trick that I learned is used by many of the higher end scanner manufacturers. Even without fabricating a custom galvo mount to get more from both axes, you can reduce the spill from the "Y" scanner by rotating it slightly so that the projection comes out at a downward angle. This assumes that your using the projector from an elevated position, but if not then a slightly modified mount with the "Y" below and projecting at an upward angle accomplishes the same thing. The idea is there is nothing set in stone about 45 degrees AOI and a reduction of even a few degrees AOI increases the apparent width of the mirror. For example, only 4.3 degrees will get you that 0.5mm added to the existing 7mm mirror.