Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New mini RGB build

Nice compact build, Adrian!

One minor observation. Correct me if I'm wrong but did you glue the dichros over the adjustment screw hole on Dave's (of Lasershowparts) dichros mounts? If they are the same as mine, if you need to adjust them down, the adjustment screw needs to thread through that hole. This would, of course, break or dislodge your dichros. I only ask as I did this the first time and had to remove the dichros and mirror, cracking one dichro in the process.

I remounted one set higher the next round, but after seeing a great video from Planters I saw that you can mount them on the 45 degree edge instead. Wish i had thought of that as it makes a nice straight line of dichros mounts allowing even smaller optic plate layouts.

Cheers!

David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Good point Dave, thanks for the tip. Just out of interest, how did you remove your dichro's assuming you used epoxy to set them?

Just out of interest, how did you remove your dichro's assuming you used epoxy to set them?
    You can try a heat gun, oven cleaner (lye), or maybe acetone. Although I'm not sure if the chemicals will hurt the coating on the dichros so use with caution.
    Last edited by Jimboy3625; 11-09-2012 at 02:10. Reason: fat fingers

Quote Originally Posted by RGbee View Post
    Good point Dave, thanks for the tip. Just out of interest, how did you remove your dichro's assuming you used epoxy to set them?
    In addition to jimboys good suggestions, you can use a soldering iron to heat epoxy (applied to the dichro over the epoxy or to the dichro mount near the epoxy). I was successful two out of three times with this method without damaging anything. Epoxy seems to like the copper more than the glass, so it is a simple matter of wire brushing the mounts clean after they come unattached.

I've read that baking them in an oven for a while works as well, but I haven't tried that. For hot glue and some other glues, submerging in paint remover for 8 hours works great, but destroys the dichro coatings as Jimboy cautioned.

Of course, if you only need to aim your beams up to the galvo mirrors, I think you are OK as is.

Please post more pics and stats as you progress, as it will be great to see how this mini-rig progresses!

-David

Soldering iron wont work ,too much mass in the mount .
    Put them in the oven for a few mins, grab the in a cloth and pop them off
    Works for me
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

The soldering iron takes a bit of time, but I've had success with it. IF the oven works without destroying the dichros, I'd opt for that next time. What temp though?

Hot air paint stripper gun is what I use.
    Squat that bug,

One day I'll finish my build.
    https://www.facebook.com/Azteclasers?fref=ts

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i use a toaster oven. 200F for 10-15 mins.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Dichros successfully removed with the application of a small blowtorch. Now re-mounted and, i'm pleased to say, the same height as both diode mounting blocks and scanners. I'm still wating on a small ali part to arrive before begining the bolt down

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    i use a toaster oven. 200F for 10-15 mins.
    Wow, just tried this on some others. Came off cleanly after 10 min at 200F. I'll use this method from now on.

Thanks for the specificity, Swamidog!

-David